Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I have a business! (Sips Cocktail Emporium)  (Read 4097 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
I have a business! (Sips Cocktail Emporium)
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:34:06 pm »
+7

I have started a business with my partner for home bartending supplies. If you're interested check it out! We try to specialize in interesting and high quality things (not just things you can find all over the place). We definitely have a slant towards Canadian products and are aimed at Canadian consumers (not sure if our prices will be super competitive for Americans). If you happen to come to Vancouver we'll have the physical location open soon, too.

I thought about posting this in the Drinking thread, but figured I should follow the letter of the rules on the sticky for this thread.

http://goodsips.ca/

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: I have a business! (Sips Cocktail Emporium)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:18:26 pm »

You can link to this from there, it's no big deal.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:44:12 pm »

Awesome! I wasn't sure. So I figured I'd just create it for now. Now it's linked!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 04:50:30 pm »

Just a random thought from looking at the page.. since the idea is kind of a home/craft/do-it-yourself thing, what about having a forum for people that may be interested to discuss or share things?  It kind of goes along with the blog idea, but with a forum you could have other people share ideas, and personally I find it a lot easier to navigate topics on a forum then to read through a blog.   

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 05:29:46 pm »

Just a random thought from looking at the page.. since the idea is kind of a home/craft/do-it-yourself thing, what about having a forum for people that may be interested to discuss or share things?  It kind of goes along with the blog idea, but with a forum you could have other people share ideas, and personally I find it a lot easier to navigate topics on a forum then to read through a blog.   

Honestly, mostly time is the reason against putting together a forum for the business, though I do like the idea personally. We thought about it briefly when planning out our web content, but decided not to focus on it. We kinda have to prioritize since there's just two of us working on the business for now. I have a full-time job and in about a month she'll need to run the shop in addition to managing web content, which already includes social media, emails, the blog and product photography. Adding a forum to manage on top of that might draw time away from the things we think are most important; we don't want to stretch ourselves to thinly.

(Also you're the first person who's said they might be interested in a forum so it's not really something we're sure the general public would be excited about. I'd hate to setup a forum that is mostly empty.)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:05:11 pm »
+2

Very cool!

Talking about a forum for this, I recently picked up the hobby of fine writing (mostly fountain pens), which is kind of a niche market and difficult to get started on because there's just so much to learn.  I'm sure it's very similar with fine drinking/home bar tending that there is a lot to learn and you kind of have to justify to the average person why it's actually better to spend the extra money and get the better equipment and such.  There's just a lot of education with these more specific hobby markets.  Anyways, your site reminded me of The Goulet Pen Co. who have done an excellent job in education as part of their service.  Like your site, they have a blog where Brian Goulet (the CEO) has many how-to videos and quesiton/answer videos that have been extremely helpful with getting into a new hobby.  They also provide tools to compare inks and pens etc. that you don't find at many (if any) other online retailers.  What they have done is recreate the experience of walking into a brick-and-mortar store in the best way possible online.  Maybe their example could help as you scale your business (as they have done).

Anyways, your site looks very cool and I'm going to bookmark it for when I have the money to start my own home bartending ;)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:10:08 am »

That's very cool! I love the comparison information they have up on their site. It's neat to see all the different nibs compared with the different pens. I wish I was responsible enough with my pens to get a nice fountain pen, as I actually use pens a lot in my work, but I tend to lose pens constantly so I can't risk the investment.

We've been thinking about ways to visually display how to do some of the techniques we think people should know, and I'll use this site as a reference in the future for it. Thanks!

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 12:24:23 am »

You'd be surprised at how much better you take care of it when you've put money into it :P  And just because it's more enjoyable to write with...  But then you'll get frustrated with being forced to write on crappy paper, so maybe you're better off with a ballpoint :)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 01:48:03 pm »

You'd be surprised at how much better you take care of it when you've put money into it :P  And just because it's more enjoyable to write with...  But then you'll get frustrated with being forced to write on crappy paper, so maybe you're better off with a ballpoint :)

Probably gonna stick to my ballpoint. I have owned nice pens in the past, I do not know where any of them are.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.