Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anything I could have done to win this Feodum rush?  (Read 3923 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Anything I could have done to win this Feodum rush?
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:46:34 am »

So I certainly fuck up a lot of games, but usually the reasons why are pretty obvious to me afterwards - I didn't know when to green at all, greened too early, bad strategy, random absurd buys, etc. Here, I think I might have just picked a sub-optimal strategy, but the game was close enough that I'm curious as to how I could have done it differently.

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Fishing Village, Wishing Well, Feodum, Ironworks, Quarry, Remodel, Tournament, Laboratory, Outpost
Game Log

I looked through the log after, and I probably played sub-optimally a few times, but not anything game breaking that I could tell. Here are my observations
  • Gaining Remodel over Wishing Well was literally pointless, but this was late enough that it probably didn't cost me the game.
  • Did I want an Outpost or two, if only to try and sneak in an extra Silver or two?
  • Was I just not supposed to play Feodum at all here? I think that's most likely, but the rush seemed pretty tempting and I wasn't too interested in the mirror match.

Any tips would be cool. Rushes are generally where I play my best, so getting this aspect of my game perfected might help a bit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:48:11 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
Re: Anything I could have done to win this Feodum rush?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:02:32 am »

Well, ceteris paribus, one more Silver and you would have won.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:13:05 am »
+2

You should make an engine that competes for tournaments here. Tournament decks sustain their scoring extremely well when the opponents don't have provinces. Tournament decks also often have all the options and control needed to beat a single minded rush strategy, as well as that strong scoring. Most importantly though, the potential engine in this kingdom is just too good to ignore.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:20:00 am »
+3

I agree with DG. Your opponent makes a lot of mistakes in his deck building, which is why the end score is close.

It's worth noting that IW/Feodum doesn't work the same way as Gardens or Silk Roads because getting 8 Feoda alone gives you 0 points. So you can't just empty IW/Feoda and some other pile (Gardens and SR always have Estate as an excellent 3rd pile). What you end up playing with Feoda is not a rush (you aren't in a position to end the game with a lead). You are just hoping that your Feoda will actually outscore Provinces in the long game. This is much harder to do.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:40:07 am »
+5

If you really want to go Feodum here your first priority should be getting Trusty Steed.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:54:25 pm »

That's what I was suspecting. With Quarry and Lab (and Remodel to some extent), the Tournament engine was likely much better. Thanks!

bug me on discord

they/them

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »
+1

I think there is approximately zero reason to use Quarry in this kingdom. There is no +buy outside of Princess and the most expensive action cards are at $5.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:02:04 pm »

I think there is approximately zero reason to use Quarry in this kingdom. There is no +buy outside of Princess and the most expensive action cards are at $5.
Yeah, actually, I'm not sure why I thought it mattered at all. I guess my keyboard got ahead of my brain again.

bug me on discord

they/them

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 01:10:20 pm »

Ironworks + quarry for labs and 1 outpost?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 01:19:19 pm »
+1

An excellent plan, Zappie, with just two minor flaws: one, this kingdom doesn't have Black Market, and two, this kingdom doesn't have Storyteller.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 05:28:37 pm »
+1

An excellent plan, Zappie, with just two minor flaws: one, this kingdom doesn't have Black Market, and two, this kingdom doesn't have Storyteller.

He, uh, misspelled Princess?

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 06:00:05 pm »

woops

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:38 pm »

I would open Wishing Well, Iron Works, gain a few tournaments with IW and then when Provinces come into play, gain Wishing Wells off the IW. I would not buy Silver at all this game. On $5-$7, I would buy some labs. No need for golds. When I felt my draw was good, I would also throw in an Outpost, and all at the same time, I would be trying to win tournaments first getting princess for the +buy and then Followers for the attack. If I saw my opponent was going for a heavy feodum strategy, I would potentially get Trusty Steed prior to Followers and Princess just for denial, however, that would depend on how many tournaments/Provinces they had and how clogged their deck was.

Anyway, a good Tournament strategy should kill any feodum strategy on this board...except maybe trusty steed/feodum which to me still doesn't sound good.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 11:32:44 pm »

Amending Beyond Awesome's post, I wouldn't buy a Silver in this game, but I would get 1x Remodel early off of IW and turn Estate into Silver/Tournament. I don't think skipping Silver entirely is wise here, but I think 1 Estate->Silver is enough to get to Province once Lab/Tournament are in the picture. Any more Estate trashes are just a bonus.

I like Remodel as a tool to turn extra actions into Labs - as the game goes on you want to phase out some of the Tournaments you've gained because they'll be getting blocked more often. You want Remodel for the Feodum strategy too if you go for that.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.