Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Announcing Jack of all Dominion (android randomizer app)  (Read 28778 times)

minusik

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Announcing Jack of all Dominion (android randomizer app)
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:10:42 am »
+21

After a friend passed Dominion fever onto me, I was searching for good randomizer app for android. There were few promising candidates, but all of them were missing something or other. So, I decided to create my own, and learn android programming at the same time. Few months of on and off development, almost an year long break for adjusting to new life as a parent, I finally finished the project recently. Let me introduce you to: Jack of all Dominion. Big part of the inspiration goes to Dominion Shuffle app, but hopefully easier to set up for both a novice and seasoned player. I also wanted to make this app a randomizer, but also reference for other aspects of the game. So app includes simple victory counter for selected Kingdom, recommended games, and many other things.

I'm also happy to announce that as of today, I have added support for all Adventure cards.

App is free, no ads and no extra permissions. It can be found at:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.minusik.apps.jackofalldominion
All feedback, suggestions and questions are welcome.
I hope it will be found useful.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Announcing Jack of all Dominion (android randomizer app)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:02:09 am »

I will check it out, thanks!
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 02:23:41 am »

Out of curiosity, what randomizer features does this app have that Dominion Shuffle lacked?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:26:57 am »
+1

Jack of All Dominion is probably my favorite randomizer, and if I had my own Android phone it's the only one I'd use.

I prefer it over Dominion Shuffle because of the cleaner interface, more useful card filters (can require at least 1 / 3 / 5 of many actually useful different categories), swipe-to-replace in the results window, easier Kingdom saving, etc. You just have to try it, you'll love it. Also, Dominion Shuffle is really ugly.

If you're particularly lazy, the VP counter is also great.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:59:27 am »
+1

So I currently use Dominion Shuffle. I haven't tried this app but I plan to soon. Things I wish Dominion Shuffle did that I hope this app will do:

1. Have an amazing name (check)
2. Every once in a while, Dominion Shuffle will crash and delete the settings I have in place (no Black Market, Tournament, Knights) and I'll have to go in and reset them. This is annoying and takes a while.
3. Cat's out of the bag: I playtested some cards. It would be really nice if I could have my app select only 6 cards instead of 10.
4. I wish the supply cards you needed (Potions, Spoils, Ruins, Platinum/Colony, Shelters, Events, etc.) could be displayed at the start or end of the list instead of alphabetically in the list.

Anyways, I'll give the app a shot next chance I get and hopefully these all happen! If not, well then consider them feature requests :P
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:30:49 am »
+1

2. Every once in a while, Dominion Shuffle will crash and delete the settings I have in place (no Black Market, Tournament, Knights) and I'll have to go in and reset them. This is annoying and takes a while.

Dominion Shuffle seems to do that to me any time I don't fully back out of it.  But I just discovered recently, that it has a save/load feature, so you can save the selection options you have and give it a name. (Maybe you mean it is crashing and losing these, but I've never experienced that.)

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:44:33 am »

It seems to be missing the Adventures/Alchemy recommended sets.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 02:54:24 am »

They're not in the rulebook. Donald posted them.

So, the big -$1 "token" is similar to a Curse for money, right?  Just want to make sure I'm not reading into it too much.

Also, did anyone else notice the recommended sets include every set except Alchemy?
That's a mistake I didn't catch when proofreading; I have them in my file.

Adventures & Alchemy:
Haste Potion: Plan / Magpie, Messenger, Port, Royal Carriage, Treasure Trove / Apprentice, Scrying Pool, Transmute, University, Vineyard
Cursecatchers: Save, Trade / Amulet, Bridge Troll, Caravan Guard, Peasant, Ratcatcher / Apothecary, Familiar, Golem, Herbalist, Philosopher's Stone

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:09:48 am »

Got a chance to play around with this app. It's pretty, I really like the way it looks.

So I'm allowed to pick 10 cards or more cards, but no option to pick less than 10 cards. It would go a super-long way if you just allowed me to pick 1-9 cards as well.

The big thing that will potentially stop me from using this app is that the screen that shows me the cards I need to get out requires me to scroll if there's any more than 10 cards -- and I have a Galaxy S4, the screen is pretty huge. This is actually a pretty big deal for me -- an option to only show the card name (instead of cost, type, etc.) would make the rows much smaller so they could all fit on one screen without scrolling.

But this interface is really nice. Like, super-nice. I'm a big fan  ;D
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 09:03:18 am »

They're not in the rulebook. Donald posted them.

So, the big -$1 "token" is similar to a Curse for money, right?  Just want to make sure I'm not reading into it too much.

Also, did anyone else notice the recommended sets include every set except Alchemy?
That's a mistake I didn't catch when proofreading; I have them in my file.

Adventures & Alchemy:
Haste Potion: Plan / Magpie, Messenger, Port, Royal Carriage, Treasure Trove / Apprentice, Scrying Pool, Transmute, University, Vineyard
Cursecatchers: Save, Trade / Amulet, Bridge Troll, Caravan Guard, Peasant, Ratcatcher / Apothecary, Familiar, Golem, Herbalist, Philosopher's Stone
I'm aware he posted them. Which is why I'm aware they exist. But they are not in the app with all the other sets.

minusik

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 09:25:58 am »
+2

Adventures/Alchemy recommended sets will show up in the next update. I was just going by what was in the rule book.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 09:52:02 am »
+1

Adventures/Alchemy recommended sets will show up in the next update. I was just going by what was in the rule book.

Looking at the recommended sets, I've just realized Reserve cards are terrible as Banes.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 01:07:45 pm »
+10

Looking at the recommended sets, I've just realized Reserve cards are terrible as Banes.
Reserve
[...]
-----------------
When another player playes Young Witch, you may Call out in your profanity of choice to, look at your Bane card sitting helplessly on your Tavern Mat.

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 02:07:26 pm »
+7

Reserve
[...]
-----------------
When another player playes Young Witch, you may Call out in your profanity of choice to, look at your Bane card sitting helplessly on your Tavern Mat.

Love the comma.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 02:11:12 pm »

Just downloaded this app. First impression, it has everything I'm looking for. I'll try it out some more later.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 05:04:32 pm »

I really like this! One thing I'd like to see though is the ability to control how many events show up in the selection. Maybe I missed it, but it looks like you can put in all sorts of limits for cards, but not for events. If I'm playing with newish players and they're good with a random set but not ready to add on events, it's easy enough to disregard any events that show up, but (as will likely be the case when I first get my copy of Adventures) if I want to ensure a certain number of events show up, I don't currently see a way to specify that.

edit: Okay I found the Events Selection option in the Settings. But that only has four options, and what if I want a chance of more than 3 events? Or randomly select between 1-4 events, or some other range?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:06:17 pm by Avin »

minusik

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 05:34:20 pm »
+1

There are only 4 options, because this was my first stab at controlling how to add events.
I did not have much data to go on, so I went with recommended up to 2 as default, and added "always" and "never" for good measure. Up to 3 is more of the option for more adventurous Adventures players. Both random options rely on probabilities calculated with number of cards and events selected. So including 3 events would only happen only about 5-6% of time (for all 236 cards and 20 events). I can change/add to those options, based on the feedback I receive.

edit/addition: I just realized, why I included option to include randomly up to 3, and not 4 or more events. Calculating probabilities, I was getting little over 1% for 4 events, and then less than .5% for 5 Events, and less and less for more Events. So, I didn't want to include it, as it could result users claiming it never happens or app is buggy. Say you set it to up to 10 Events, then you would have a chance of 10 Events happening about one per 10 million (if my calculations were right). Sure, I could implement it other way and just allow each number of Events happen 1/21 (0 Events + 1-20 Events) of the time, but then someone else would claim that it is invalid as well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:48:39 pm by minusik »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 08:34:37 pm »

There should also be a way to view all the Events.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

minusik

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 10:27:44 pm »
+1

Right now you can view all events either on the Blacklist screen or by searching for "Events" or "Adventure Events". It is kind of roundabout way to see them all, but that's because I wanted to post the app with Adventures faster. In the future updates, I plan to include them with main Adventures cards when viewed from Sets tab.

minusik

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 11:37:32 am »
+2

Will this app ever be released outside of android? The only device I have is a chromebook, which I don't think can use this (or any other shuffle for that matter.)

Google is slowly rolling out support for having any android app on chrome os, so maybe once that is out, I can see what would it take to have it there. I just read this article on how to try it out now: Run any Android app on your Chromebook with this hack. I don't have chromebook to try it out, so not sure how easy it is. My app does not ask for any permissions, and doe not use too many libraries, so maybe it can be a candidate to try it out.

padlock

• Pawn
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 04:03:28 pm »
+7

Thank you very much for the app. It's fantastic. I don't know if your taking requests for additional functionality, but if so, I've got a couple.

First, What I would really like with the black market deck is for it to be completely virtual. What I mean is that if black market is in the game, I'd rather not go through the effort of setting up the deck. I'd rather have a button on the app I could push whenever someone plays the card, which would list the 3 possible options they could purchase. We would then go fish in the box for only the cards actually purchased.

Secondly, I see that you have the option to use the 3 or more alchemy card rule. Would it be possible to make that a bit more flexible? I personally prefer to use a rule of 'at least 1 other alchemy card' whenever an alchemy card is in the kingdom. I find requiring 3 is often too much, and turning the rule off completely, not enough.

In any case, thanks again for the excellent app.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 04:49:20 pm »
+1

I've tried this thing out, and I have to say I'm impressed. This is a really nice app! I especially like the name and some of the features with a picked out kingdom, such as pinning cards and veto/replacement setup. And the card selection screen is very neat and tidy.

One thing I'd quite like is a little more freedom with setting the numbers in rules. I've often used "minimum two $5 cards" in the past when playing casually - that's a recommendation straight from DXV on making games more reliably fun. But here I'd have to pick between minimum one $5 (which is better than nothing for sure) or minimum three $5's (which starts to make games somewhat $5 card heavy on average).

Probably the biggest thing I dislike compared to my current Dominion App (Dominion Shuffle) is that the results screen takes up a lot more room, i.e. it won't fit on my screen by a long shot. In Dominion Shuffle there's a compact results viewer, that just lists the key info - card/expansion, cost and fits about 12-13 cards on my screen. In JoaD it looks like I can typically only fit about 7 cards, meaning I'm always going to have to scroll through the list. Would it be possible to include a compact view like in Dominion Shuffle, so it's easier to see all the cards at once?

It might also be nice to have some control over certain card probabilities. Being able to influence how often certain cards come out without outright banning, but this is kinda more complex I guess.

But that's really it. Other than that it feels like a really nice app, and being both free and needing no permissions is even better!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:54:58 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 05:03:45 pm »

First, What I would really like with the black market deck is for it to be completely virtual. What I mean is that if black market is in the game, I'd rather not go through the effort of setting up the deck. I'd rather have a button on the app I could push whenever someone plays the card, which would list the 3 possible options they could purchase. We would then go fish in the box for only the cards actually purchased.

I believe minusik has mentioned elsewhere that this is on the road map.  I agree that this will be a great feature, once implemented.

minusik

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 03:06:12 pm »
+1

As posted by ObtusePunubiris, ultimately the plan is to have virtual Black Market, but recently most of my coding energy was focused towards Adventures. Logic for Black Market is fairly easy, but I still need to figure out the best way handle UI part of it.

Secondly, I see that you have the option to use the 3 or more alchemy card rule. Would it be possible to make that a bit more flexible? I personally prefer to use a rule of 'at least 1 other alchemy card' whenever an alchemy card is in the kingdom. I find requiring 3 is often too much, and turning the rule off completely, not enough.

I just went by recommendation from rules. So, correct me if I'm wrong, what you looking is something like: 2 or more if any Alchemy card is present? Or something more specific like: 2-5, if any? Currently logic is based on Alchemy cards, not just Alchemy cards that have Potion in cost. Chance of the rule kicking in depends on number of Alchemy cards vs total of all cards selected. Few examples: 12 out of 37: ~67%, 12 out of 62: ~29%, 12 out of 113: ~7%.

minusik

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 03:21:44 pm »
+4

One thing I'd quite like is a little more freedom with setting the numbers in rules. I've often used "minimum two $5 cards" in the past when playing casually - that's a recommendation straight from DXV on making games more reliably fun. But here I'd have to pick between minimum one $5 (which is better than nothing for sure) or minimum three $5's (which starts to make games somewhat $5 card heavy on average).

When designing this app, I wanted to make the setup fairly quick and casual, but still allowing good amount of flexibility. Dominion Shuffle is great in all of it's options, but you can also get lost fairly quickly and create conflicting rules. I tried to avoid at least some of that complexity. That's why I went with option of specifying 1+, 3+, 5+, because I thought it covered usable ranges. Now I see that it might be too restrictive for certain categories. I'm also not that experienced player, so I might not have the best feel for what might make a good balanced kingdom. Would it make more sense to make it 1+, 2+, 3+ or 1+, 2+, 4+ or maybe do 1,2,3 option for card categories, cost, types, but have 1,3,5 for set selection rules?

Probably the biggest thing I dislike compared to my current Dominion App (Dominion Shuffle) is that the results screen takes up a lot more room, i.e. it won't fit on my screen by a long shot. In Dominion Shuffle there's a compact results viewer, that just lists the key info - card/expansion, cost and fits about 12-13 cards on my screen. In JoaD it looks like I can typically only fit about 7 cards, meaning I'm always going to have to scroll through the list. Would it be possible to include a compact view like in Dominion Shuffle, so it's easier to see all the cards at once?

My phone has 4.7" screen, so that is my measuring stick most of the time. Other reason to make card display this way, was to provide good target for swiping, pinning, or just clicking to get info. Making it smaller might make those harder to do. I'll play around and see if I could add yet another setting - it makes the app more and more complex than I would like.

It might also be nice to have some control over certain card probabilities. Being able to influence how often certain cards come out without outright banning, but this is kinda more complex I guess.

This would be hard to do in easy way. Even now, current intersection of rules requires a lot of special exceptions in my selection code.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.