Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Favorite Cards  (Read 14094 times)

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
Favorite Cards
« on: April 18, 2015, 05:12:01 pm »

Now that the expansion is revealed, what are some of your favorite cards?  Not necessarily the strongest, but the cards you think are the most fun, have the best art, etc.
Mine, at the moment, is Artificer.  I predict I'll overbuy it but meh.  I also love its Baker-esque art.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:13:32 pm by shmeur »
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Cards
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 05:13:51 pm »

Transmogrify, Champion, Coin of the Realm, Wine Merchant, Haunted Woods, and Giant are my favorites, I think.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 05:14:56 pm »
+18

Mine, at the moment, is Artificer.

Are you a swindler?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

shmeur

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:17:45 pm »

Are you a swindler?
What?
I just love cantrip coppers in general.  Artificer's cool + works great in slogs + reliably lets you buy 3/4 cost cards.  And, with huge draw, you can possibly turn Estates into Provinces.

shmeur

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 05:20:06 pm »

Transmogrify, Champion, Coin of the Realm, Wine Merchant, Haunted Woods, and Giant are my favorites, I think.
Haunted Woods seems to be a card I'll hate playing with tbh.  Transmogrify looks fun though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 05:20:50 pm »
+1

I think it was jonts who destroyed me with artificer. Discard 8 cards, get a province, then draw them all again, discard them again, get another province.

I predict that artificer will play out similarly to horn of plenty. They both need similar decks.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

shmeur

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 05:22:59 pm »
+1

I think it was jonts who destroyed me with artificer. Discard 8 cards, get a province, then draw them all again, discard them again, get another province.

I predict that artificer will play out similarly to horn of plenty. They both need similar decks.
I think it'll be more useful then HoP because, even without its effect, its still a Peddler.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 05:23:48 pm »

Gotta go with Teacher. Looks like a lot of work, but some great payoff.

Ratcatcher, Guide, Transmogrify, and Royal Carriage all look really cool for their ability to match up with a suitable hand. Saving them for a long time will kinda squander them but still. Looking at others, Miser, Bridge Troll, and Distant Lands all seem really fun to try.

Looking at the Events, I'm really excited for Travelling Fair and all the pile-modifying ones.

shmeur

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 05:27:35 pm »

Gotta go with Teacher. Looks like a lot of work, but some great payoff.

Ratcatcher, Guide, Transmogrify, and Royal Carriage all look really cool for their ability to match up with a suitable hand. Saving them for a long time will kinda squander them but still. Looking at others, Miser, Bridge Troll, and Distant Lands all seem really fun to try.

Looking at the Events, I'm really excited for Travelling Fair and all the pile-modifying ones.
Yes to Miser!  That looks fun too.  I also really love Travelling Fair's artwork the most.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 05:31:52 pm »
+9

Are you a swindler?
What?

You just turned Mine, a $5 card, into Artificer, another $5 card. Isn't that what a Swindler does?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

shmeur

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 05:33:18 pm »

Are you a swindler?
What?

You just turned Mine, a $5 card, into Artificer, another $5 card. Isn't that what a Swindler does?
Oh lmao I didn't catch the pun.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 05:34:17 pm »
+1

Are you a swindler?
What?

To be fair, they're practically synonyms anyway.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 05:37:56 pm »

I love the art for the Peasant > Teacher series. I hope jsh will share this opinion.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 05:47:28 pm »

I love the art for the Peasant > Teacher series. I hope jsh will share this opinion.

I plan to on the stream tonight.  Preview: LOL

As for my favorite cards in Adventures:
Dungeon, Gear, Guide, Messenger, Port, Distant Lands, Haunted Woods, Alms, Borrow, Travelling Fair, Bonfire, Expedition, Ball
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

shmeur

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 05:57:17 pm »

Dungeon, Gear, Guide, Messenger, Port, Distant Lands, Haunted Woods, Alms, Borrow, Travelling Fair, Bonfire, Expedition, Ball

A lot of faves I see haha.  Speaking of Ball: I want a Cinderella-themed kingdom (also with Royal Carriage).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 06:04:22 pm »

So in the playtesting I got to do, a previous turn's Haunted Woods let me topdeck a Prince with Artificer. That was awesome.

Oh, and Champion was the bacon double cheeseburger. I honestly like the Peasant line more.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 06:11:54 pm »
+4

A lot of faves I see haha.  Speaking of Ball: I want a Cinderella-themed kingdom (also with Royal Carriage).

For those of you who like (Chess-)themed kingdoms, let the record show that I pushed hard for Magpie to be named Rook.

EDIT: On the flip-side, Plan was briefly named "Cunning Plan" until I mentioned the Blackadder connection. Apologies to Blackadder fans.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:27:04 pm by LastFootnote »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 10:20:14 am »

Favourite cards? The Peasant line, Amulet, Port, Messenger.
Events? Seaway, Ferry, Pathfinding.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 12:19:44 pm »

What I think I will love

Ferry!
All the events that move tokens to piles. Inheritance, Lost Arts, etc. Oh, and Ferry

Haunted Woods: Good draw is nice
Raze
Rat Catcher
Artificer

Maybe, Peasant/Page. I'm not sure yet on those yet.

The majority of other events. Alms, Borrow, Expedition, and others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Port
Coin of the Realm
Probably Lost City: I do like Villages

Magpie: How could I forget

Anyway, that's what I can think off the top of my head. I'm pretty tired though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 12:43:04 pm »
+1

On a 5/2, I really want to Travelling Fair an Ambassador on top of my deck.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 01:34:08 pm »

Artificer seems really weak to me.  I can't get excited about a card I'll rarely be able to justify.

I like events the most.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 01:45:57 pm »
+2

Artificer seems really weak to me.  I can't get excited about a card I'll rarely be able to justify.

I like events the most.

I don't see how a $5 Peddler could be called "really weak". Even without any other abilities, all the $5 Peddlers can still be ok. And the ability got artificer seems like it has a lot of potential.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1398
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 01:53:42 pm »

Peddler with a sort of discard-based Armory built in. What's not to like? Gainers are cool.

This'll be great to pick up some cheap components in an already-roaring engine, and has endgame tie-breaking usefulness.

When Artificer is on the board, you'll usually want one. More so than, say, Treasury.  That's not "weak", much less "really weak".  Looks average for a 5
My opponent has more loot than me

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »

I remember that one. I think I was using mass Rangers for draw. I had an action token on them and used duplicate to just have a billion. Good times.

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 03:38:32 pm »

Without having any experience with actually playing the cards, I like the following most:

Amulet: So much flexibility, and great trashing.
Treasure Trove: I just love the artwork, and it may actually be a good BM card.
Wine Merchant: Interesting reserve mechanic that differs from the general principle. Also, the guy looks like one of my friends. :D
Distant Lands: Another green card that changes the way a game is approached, like Fairgrounds, Vineyards, Duke.
Lost Arts: This will create super strong decks.
Inheritance: Just madness  :o

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 04:15:29 pm »

Wine Merchant: Interesting reserve mechanic that differs from the general principle.

Funny story, Wine Merchant was actually the first Reserve card I saw.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2145
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 05:00:35 pm »

I like events the most.

Adventures adds a lot of ways to draw huge amounts of cards.  I think Artificer will make it very easy to capitalize on that.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 05:49:19 pm »

I like the events that adds +1 action/card/$/buy, it seems to add creativity and enable unpredictable strategies, and that's what attracted me in Dominion at first. Also, Inheritance.
Otherwise, my favourite kingdom cards by now are : Ratcatcher, Coin of the realm, Miser, Transmogrify, Artificer, Distant lands, and Haunted woods.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 06:01:57 pm »

Favorites on first impression: Peasant line (my first thought on seeing soldier was huge coin in Minion/Urchin games), Artificer, Amulet, Mission, Inheritance.

other first reactions:
- Gear: I like the effect, but the name and art seem out of place in Dominion's theme. At least they seemed to be at first glance... but then I noticed it could combo with artificer which is neat.
- Treasure Trove: On first glance, I thought ewww, like Cache is usually yukky, but it could be good in games where you either want a lot of trashables (mercenary, forager, maybe spice merchant...), or want a lot of golds and can sift/otherwise deal with the coppers (good for several TfB/Remodel type cards).
- Champion is obviously OP. Seems like Ferry will commonly have situations when it'll be OP as well, but yeah, it'll be fun with Band of Misfits.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 06:20:35 pm »
+1

I just love Distant Lands. The endgame is already so confusing. I hope it ends up mattering a lot.

I suppose this is obvious, but I'll say it anyway since I missed it myself the first time: its penalty over Duchy -- you have to get it in time to play it -- is also a huge benefit over Duchy: it Islands itself. Is anyone else really nuts about getting as many Islands Islanded as possible in the end-game even when it doesn't objectively matter? Now it does!

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 06:21:57 pm »

(Artificer)

Weird, this one is far from my favorite.  It probably does well in an engine, and I've won a game with it, but it's really situational and draw-dependent.  It also isn't quite as punchy and cool as Scavenger is for me.

I mean, you overpay for a Peddler, and you get a topdecking gainer that SOMETIMES works.  I think I combo'd it with Storyteller when I won with it, and Storyteller really is slick IMO.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 04:28:31 am »

Since I still haven't played with Adventures yet (curse you game store!!!) this is all speculative but here are my favorites based on description:

Coin of the Realm - Village effect on call to prevent terminal collisions and dead draw? Aw hellz yah!
Guide - Protection against quite a lot of nasty stuff, and it doesn't even cost an action to get it on the mat!
Lost City - Soooooooo close to a no-strings-attached 2-card village.
Hireling - He's always there for you. Love me some permanently increased handsize.
Champion - YES I KNOW. I KNOW. I'M SORRY, OKAY? BUT LIKE, PARTY MODE. TERMINALS DON'T EXIST. SERIOUSLY.
Bonfire - Have your starting coppers and eat them too! Uh, I mean... you know what I mean.
Ferry - Cost reducers hold a special place in my heart.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:48 am »

(Artificer)

Weird, this one is far from my favorite.  It probably does well in an engine, and I've won a game with it, but it's really situational and draw-dependent.  It also isn't quite as punchy and cool as Scavenger is for me.

I mean, you overpay for a Peddler, and you get a topdecking gainer that SOMETIMES works.  I think I combo'd it with Storyteller when I won with it, and Storyteller really is slick IMO.

Artificer likes large hand sizes and/or cost reduction.  It especially likes Library, so it can get back up to a large handsize quickly.

TheEmerged

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 04:37:46 pm »

I feel that I've played with them enough to have a reasonably informed opinion now.  So, with all the usual "based on my experience, your mileage probably varies, and so forth" disclaimers on the table and in no particular order...

>Amulet
Honestly, I think this one has hit the table every time we've had a "draft" (every player picks 1 card for the kingdom until there would be a remainder, so for our usual 4 players every player picks 2 and then then remainder are random).  I've probably done more theory work on it than any other card in the expansion; if I was picking a card from the expansion I'd want to write a strategy guide for, this would be it (for the record, I'm nowhere near good enough at the game to try this yet).  I haven't run into too many cards that make me think as hard about what to do in the standard 3/4 starter draw as Amulet has ended up doing.

>Inheritance
It's as if they held a competition to create a card that would convince us to actually buy Estates, and this is the card that won (*Disclaimer: we still don't have a copy of Intrigue in our group, it seems to be perpetually "the next expansion one of us ought to buy").  The craziest combination I've seen in-play so far was Marketplace, and that was nuts.

>Distant Lands
Disclaimer, I've turned into a sucker for alternate victory cards.  I think buying Prosperity as my first expansion spoiled our group; we've ended up always using a 4th victory card & 4th treasure card because we got used to it early on.  As such we're probably seeing this more than other groups do, since it's coming up in about 20% of our games.  It led to one of the more 'foundational' questions in the game yet ("Hey, how literally are we supposed to be taking these "put on the mat" cards?  If you used Island on Distant Lands, would DL be worth points or not?").  We decided on "Very literally", just for the record.

>Disciple
I had some good experiences with this card early on when we started with Adventures and that probably still colors my opinion of this card; it's definitely my favorite Traveller right now.  I've had one game where I got to three copies of it in deck, and it wasn't to keep someone from getting to Teacher.  I won that game on the strength of Disciple + Distant Lands, for the record.

>Ferry
...And suddenly, it mattered whether you started 3/4 or 4/3.  I do think it's interesting that we see the -2 cost token move around a lot more than any of the others.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Ever look at a card, go "I bet there's an interesting interaction here, I'll have to go looking for it", but somebody beats you to it?  That's Travelling Fair in this expansion for me.  It had some obvious recursive potential but I ended up being too interested in other cards (cough Amulet, cough Inheritance, cough) to look into it enough before others found the path.

Alms also gets a special nod.  I think I've mentioned before that one of the players at the table is perhaps overly fond of Thief (even after having been beat with a treasureless strategy).  She hates this card now.

DISHONORABLE MENTION
Yeah, this is supposed to be favorites but... Guide.  I think I've seen this card backfire as often as I've seen it be useful.  I did see one weird case where somebody did this with Inheritance and a +Buy token that actually almost worked but... it's been way less useful in practice than it looked going in.  I hate to call it a disappointment and I won't call it the worst card in the expansion, but it is the one I like a *lot* less than I thought I would.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:40:11 pm by TheEmerged »

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 01:30:48 pm »

I'm starting to appreciate Storyteller and Wine Merchant more, because both are ridiculously powerful if used correctly, but can mess up your deck if not used correctly. Using Storyteller on a fully-powered Miser is just delicious, and discarding all of your Wine Merchants at once just feels awesome.
removed by user
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.