Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ranking Events  (Read 2907 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Ranking Events
« on: April 18, 2015, 10:33:07 am »

So, the Adventures cards have spilled.  In a couple months, I'm sure Qvist will start up a new card rankings poll, and when that happens, we're going to have figure out how to rank Events.  Now, it's perfectly reasonable to have 20 cards off on their own, but I can see the argument for mixing them in; they're all of different costs, and it would be interesting to see how, for example, Travelling Fair rates among the other $2's.

If we do mix them in, that leaves another question - how to deal with $0 Events.  Do we have a special 3-"card" ranking category, or do we just turn the $1-$2 category into a $0-$2 category?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Events
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:35:49 am »
+3

I said separate, but then quickly changed my mind, but I can't change my vote. The thing is, to me the idea of the rankings is "I have $4 to spend, what's the best thing to buy?" So a $4 event and a $4 card work in much the same way there.

I think 1-2 should just be changed to 0-2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:36:49 am »

I have thought about this a lot, and I would personally like to see them mixed with everything else, but I think there should be a new category for oddly costed cards, including things like poor house and peddler.  I expect this opinion is controversial.

Since Qvist is one of the testers, I imagine he has already come up with good thoughts.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:43:34 am »
+2

I dunno, maybe you could just ask Qvist?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Arctic Penguin

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:31:47 pm »
+1

I think they really have to be mixed in with the other cards. There are so few events at each price that ranking all of them together would be very difficult and probably not very useful. It's already hard comparing powerful cards like Chapel and King's Court directly; if the cost is not at least close then the rank doesn't provide much value. Events aren't so different from a card like Pillage that has an effect for one turn and then leaves your deck. It makes more sense to me to rank the effect each card/event has at each price, whether it enters your deck for the rest of the game, for one play, or not at all.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 01:51:09 pm »
+1

There are cards bought for their on-gain or on-buy effects, with their presence in your deck being thought of as a secondary impact, whether positive or negative or trivial. Events could very well be regarded the same way except without going into your deck at all.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 08:49:39 pm »
+1

How about doing both?  Have them mixed in but also rank them separately.

If only one, I think mixing them in would be more useful to readers.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:21:33 pm »

It hardly matters because people all have different ranking criteria. There's already an issue of there being a big disparity in how much people value non-terminal-ness. Being an event will have this same kind of issue.

Personally, I'd rather see cards broken down into: $4 or less non-terminal/vp, $4 or less terminal, $4 or less event/1-shot, and then $5 or more of each type. That seems more meaningful to me, since for example when you're looking at $3-4 cards, terminal-ness is a bigger differentiator than cost. But it's probably too different from what everyone is used to seeing.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 09:25:17 pm »

As mentioned, ranking events separately is mostly meaningless since they're very different in cost.

Ranking events together with cards is useful. Though of course, there are times when you're factoring aspects of cards (like how many you might want to have in your deck) that aren't directly comparable to events, but well for that you can just ignore events in the rankings.

For instance if the results say KC > Inheritance > Prince, and you only care about kingdom cards, well then you read that as KC > Prince and ignore the Inheritance.

So there's basically no downside to putting events together with kingdom cards, and no upside to not doing so.  Put them together.
My opponent has more loot than me

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 08:05:05 am »

Since Qvist is one of the testers, I imagine he has already come up with good thoughts.

I thought about it, but didn't come to a good conclusion. It seems that the majority wants to rank them together, so I'm likely going to do that.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 08:30:17 am »

How about doing both?  Have them mixed in but also rank them separately.

If only one, I think mixing them in would be more useful to readers.

I like this idea the most. Why can't we just do both?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 10:34:10 am »
+5

I base my buying decisions on the art ranking.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 01:15:04 pm »
+1

In general I think it makes sense to mix them in with the other cards. However, there are some Events that it doesn't make sense to rank at all. At minimum, Alms, Borrow, and Save are not things you buy instead of something else. They're more rules changes than anything. Likewise, Quest is basically Gold.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.