Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Does anyone have any interest in watching how a mediocre player plays?  (Read 4292 times)

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile

So I both very much enjoyed watching the taped matches WW put up, and have been hoping to see more videos put up. Sadly, this hasn't happened, and I thought, well why not just do it myself? But would anyone be interested in how a level 20ish thinks about the game? I figure if nothing else, it's more footage up of people playing.

I'm also assuming there are plenty of people more qualified on here who think, "I wouldn't mind making videos, but no one wants to watch me play." If they would rather make annotated videos and put them up, that would be cool too, and may/may not be the actual point of this post.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have any interest in watching how a mediocre player plays?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 06:40:04 pm »
+1

I say go for it! Trying to teach others is often the best way to teach yourself. If you force yourself to think your decisions through and know you can't mess about because of the critics, you'll surely get better.

And a lot of people here can't wait to share their thoughts on other peoples games. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:12:07 pm »

Heh, thanks, I'm trying to get Livestream to work now, but I can't figure how to get the audio to not sound like I'm an evil alien. I suppose a real mic might be necessary?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »

Yeah, even a cheap headset will usually do.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 10:11:17 pm »

This is actually a pretty good idea.  For someone like me, I'd like to see other's games and comment on them, but sifting through a game log seems painful.  And I hear WanderingWinder eats chips while he plays and has a horrible American accent, so I shiver with fear of watching his.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 11:15:42 pm »

Heh, well me personally putting up any videos is going to be put off until I get a mic =P Thought I might be able to just use the one built into the computer, was terribly, terribly wrong.

And I have a scary american accent as well =)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 11:47:38 pm »

This is actually a pretty good idea.  For someone like me, I'd like to see other's games and comment on them, but sifting through a game log seems painful.  And I hear WanderingWinder eats chips while he plays and has a horrible American accent, so I shiver with fear of watching his.
First video only! Geez, teach me not to do tests, will ya?
Okay, I still do have an American accent. But I can do others and/or voices. Actually, that is something I've been planning....

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:49:24 pm »

What's wrong with an American accent?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 02:08:03 am »

I'm just parroting thisisnotasmile for the fun of it.  I'm American

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 06:01:26 am »

I've also considered doing a few but haven't yet because a) I am lazy, b) I might play terribly and lose badly and then you will all be wondering why I've recently shot up the leaderboard just like I am constantly wondering, c) I am scared I will be banished from the DominionStrategy land because I don't have an American accent and now also d) I don't have a microphone other than the one built into my laptop and I have recently become aware that this might be an issue.

But seriously, when I get less lazy I might do a few. I'm the kind of player who likes to do things differently, so I think my play style could be useful to show others. The games that I win can teach people about different ways to play. The games that I lose can then be followed up by suggestions from others about how I could improve what I did. If lower ranked players want to make some videos too, that's great and it could be a good way for them to get advice on their play and improve themselves.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:05:50 am »

Heh, well me personally putting up any videos is going to be put off until I get a mic =P Thought I might be able to just use the one built into the computer, was terribly, terribly wrong.

And I have a scary american accent as well =)
I don't care about accents, as long as it's understandable.
Otherwise, please add subtitles to your clips. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 08:32:26 am »

I've also considered doing a few but haven't yet because a) I am lazy, b) I might play terribly and lose badly and then you will all be wondering why I've recently shot up the leaderboard just like I am constantly wondering, c) I am scared I will be banished from the DominionStrategy land because I don't have an American accent and now also d) I don't have a microphone other than the one built into my laptop and I have recently become aware that this might be an issue.

But seriously, when I get less lazy I might do a few. I'm the kind of player who likes to do things differently, so I think my play style could be useful to show others. The games that I win can teach people about different ways to play. The games that I lose can then be followed up by suggestions from others about how I could improve what I did. If lower ranked players want to make some videos too, that's great and it could be a good way for them to get advice on their play and improve themselves.
I don't have a mic other than the built-in either. Well, actually I do, but I've recently moved and I don't know where it is in the maze of boxes. I'm surprised at how well the audio has come out. Obviously, if I find the mic again...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:00:53 am »

What you'll find is that a lot of people will comment on your game, you'll take a lot of flack, and you'll learn some stuff.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:44:12 am »

I don't have a mic other than the built-in either. Well, actually I do, but I've recently moved and I don't know where it is in the maze of boxes. I'm surprised at how well the audio has come out. Obviously, if I find the mic again...

Did you use the Livestream Procaster? What audio options did you use?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 10:50:26 am »

Did you use the Livestream Procaster? What audio options did you use?
Yes. Default. (Or at least, I don't remember changing anything). The first video posted (on my page, not dominion strategy's youtube) was literally my first test that was longer than 4 seconds, and the first one that had any sound.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.