Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: edge-case this, please  (Read 3742 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
edge-case this, please
« on: April 18, 2015, 05:56:11 am »

There's never a reason to have more than one Champion in play. You get more +Action, but since one Champion already gives you as many Actions as you can play, it can't matter.

(Thought of an edge-case while typing this: Diadem. It's pretty hard to imagine having time to get two Champions in play in a Tournament game, but you never know. And I suppose Tournament encourages you to go for Champion's perma-moat pretty hard.)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: edge-case this, please
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 06:22:49 am »
+2

Peddler.

But diadem would be a more legit case, yes. I recommend keeping earlier page upgrades instead of getting champion 2 though.  Should be clear enough.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 07:48:34 am »

Peddler.

But diadem would be a more legit case, yes. I recommend keeping earlier page upgrades instead of getting champion 2 though.  Should be clear enough.

I can't figure it out with peddler.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 07:58:15 am »
+3

Peddler.

I can't figure it out with peddler.

Since Champion remains in play, Peddlers are always cheaper.  So technically, having more than one Champion in play helps you buy Peddlers.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:00:26 am »
+2

Also, you might want to have all 5 in play to make sure your opponent can't get any. (If they're in your deck, they can still trash them and then get them from the trash).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:25:21 am »
+2

Once you have a second champion, you almost certainly want it in play. Possession, for example, might lead to you having excess champions.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:56:04 am »

Also, you might want to have all 5 in play to make sure your opponent can't get any. (If they're in your deck, they can still trash them and then get them from the trash).

Not if you have one in play, since then you're immune to attacks. Only if they possession-masq/amb you
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 12:48:50 pm »

Once you have a second champion, you almost certainly want it in play. Possession, for example, might lead to you having excess champions.

How so? If you're Possessing your opponent, and make them play their Hero, and then choose to exchange it for a Champion, the Champion goes to their discard pile and stays there.

Quote from: Adventures rulebook
Exchanging is not trashing or gaining, and so does not trigger abilities like Travelling Fair's.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 12:52:29 pm »
+1

How so? If you're Possessing your opponent, and make them play their Hero, and then choose to exchange it for a Champion, the Champion goes to their discard pile and stays there.

Quote from: Adventures rulebook
Exchanging is not trashing or gaining, and so does not trigger abilities like Travelling Fair's.

Exactly. They get a Chanpion, even if they already have one and therefore don't want another.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 01:26:12 pm »

Oh ok, the scenario I was imagining was that I already had a Champion, and possessing my opponent; but the way this works is if my opponent already has a Champion, and I possess them so they have another one. Thanks for clarifying.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 04:45:14 pm »

Maybe you had 2 Pages trying to become Champions just to make sure you get to Champion faster. You might have a Hero once you play the first Champion, and may decide to upgrade Hero to Champion so it can be played to get it out of your deck, especially if you have Golem.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 07:18:26 pm »

Not if you have one in play, since then you're immune to attacks. Only if they possession-masq/amb you
You cannot Ambassador Champions. You cannot return a revealed Champion to a supply pile.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.