Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hunting Party tactics problems  (Read 1584 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Hunting Party tactics problems
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:15:52 am »

Code: [Select]
Apothecary, Develop, Sage, Watchtower, Gardens, Monument, Nomad Camp, Hunting Party, Library, Soothsayer
I think the basic idea is clear: you want to get as many hunting parties as possible so as to play soothsayer as often as possible. Beyond that, I didn't know what I was doing.

1) do you want a develop to deal with the curses?

2) drawing develop with a curse or an estate, should you develop the curse or the estate? (my instinct was that I should get the 3 estates out of my deck first, but by the time I did that, it was so late in the game that it was almost time to start buying estates.)

3) if you draw develop and soothsayer together, at what point do you want to stop playing the soothsayer and develop it into, say, gold gardens or gold nomad camp instead?

log here:
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150418/log.548965cbe4b0aae55522735d.1429340746597.txt

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting Party tactics problems
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:59 am »

I'd open Potion/Sage, but assuming Apothecary wasn't available I'd go with Monument/Silver and skip Develop entirely, since you can play only one terminal per turn and this game should be way too fast for Develop to pay off.

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:46:02 am »

and so you would stick with momument and no soothsayer?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 04:11:48 am »
+3

and so you would stick with momument and no soothsayer?

I don't think Soothsayer is very good with Hunting Party. Once your opponent has one Curse in hand, his HPs will skip over the rest. The extra unique card does hurt him significantly, but not more than Soothsayer hurts you. If you go for Soothsayer, you're mostly hoping that you can curse him enough that sometimes he has turns without Hunting Parties at all, but if you get Soothsayer after the Hunting Parties are gone, there won't be enough time to make a difference, and if you get it over a Hunting Party earlier, then you're letting your opponent buy more Hunting Parties which defeats the purpose (plus Soothsayer itself doesn't help you buy another Hunting Party while it's in your hand, which might turn out to be annoying). The Golds you gain aren't that important either since you should generally be drawing each unique card in your deck every turn anyway and normally that's enough for a Province, and you're also giving your opponent a +card every time you play it.

Compared to Monument, Monument (probably more than) makes up for the VP you lose from the Curses, gives you $2 and doesn't compete with Hunting Party at the $5 price point. I would stick with Monument and no Soothsayer.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.