Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Duration cards that penalise your next turn  (Read 7091 times)

Mercer

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Duration cards that penalise your next turn
« on: April 16, 2015, 03:12:08 pm »

Hi,

I've had a look at the wiki and the forums and couldn't see any examples... I was wondering if Dominion has any duration cards which actually penalise you on your next turn, rather than helping you. A little like a reverse tactician (but less severe) I can imagine a card being interesting that allowed a 'binge' this turn followed by a 'hangover' next turn.

You could of course have a card that sacrificed this turn for a stronger next turn, but I think it's a different dynamic. E.g. you can set up a 'discard 2 cards this turn, draw an extra 4 next turn' with other actions/draw. But if it's 'draw four now, only draw 3 at the start of your next turn' it's a much tougher penalty (but still one that you could play with using things that put cards on top of your deck).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Duration cards that penalise your next turn
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 03:15:32 pm »

Outside of edge cases where an effect that is normally desirable ends up hurting you (for example, you did not want to shuffle your deck, but the +2 cards from Wharf makes you shuffle it anyway), Dominion doesn't currently have any Duration cards that hurt your next turn.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 03:16:55 pm »

There are no known official duration cards that penalize your next turn.  Maybe there are some in Adventures, but I feel like Donald wouldn't make them (I would think they might not be too fun to play with, and he likes to stay away from those).

For your second paragraph, there's already Tactician that does that.

PPE: Partly ninja'd by Awaclus
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 03:41:08 pm »
+4

You can consider Bureaucrat a card that penalizes you on your next turn by making your deck weaker through a self-inflicted Silver junking.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 04:05:11 pm »
+6

You can consider Bureaucrat a card that penalizes you on your next turn by making your deck weaker through a self-inflicted Silver junking.

I'm starting to hate this more than Scout and Mint/Mine jokes.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:08:06 pm »
+3

There are no known official duration cards that penalize your next turn.
Well, Outpost, sort of. That's a different version of "next turn" than described in the OP.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 04:09:44 pm »
+2

Well, Outpost, sort of. That's a different version of "next turn" than described in the OP.

You can also consider playing Outpost on your Outpost a turn a Duration that makes your next turn worse.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 04:23:45 pm »
+2

You can also consider playing Outpost on your Outpost a turn a Duration that makes your next turn worse.

Edge case: it's a Scheme/Minion game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Mercer

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 05:31:56 pm »
+1

Wow, quick responses! Thanks guys. Do people think this would be interesting? It seems to me like it might have some interesting knock-ons (e.g. being great for megaturns, having to think about if you'd be able to do anything with the mini-go etc.

Thinking (off the top of my head) something like

Feasting Hall - cost 5. +3 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy. At the start of your next go, only draw 3 cards.

This is pretty punchy this go, as a non-terminal Smithy with the Buy to exploit decent money draws. But you either have to accept the next go will suffer or have a deck well designed for a decent chance to at least do something with the mini-hand.

There are other ways you could do it without technically being a duration card: e.g. 'Draw 4 cards: at the end of this turn, place all Victory cards in your hand on top of your deck'

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 05:34:52 pm »

Feasting Hall - cost 5. +3 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy. At the start of your next go, only draw 3 cards.

This is pretty punchy this go, as a non-terminal Smithy with the Buy to exploit decent money draws. But you either have to accept the next go will suffer or have a deck well designed for a decent chance to at least do something with the mini-hand.

The bad part would have to stack (say, "draw one less card this clean-up phase" or something), because you could play a bajillion of these in one turn, and with a good enough deck (and any trashing along with this allows that), you'll always get started with three cards.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 05:35:16 pm »
+1

Although, if we go into this any further, it should probably go in the fan cards forum.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 06:08:23 pm »
+3

Borrow could be interpreted as a duration that penalizes your next turn.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 06:08:29 pm »
+1

I mean, there's also this:

Borrow
Event - $0

+1 Buy
Once per turn: If your -1 Card token isn't on your deck, put it there and +$1.

There could potentially be a version of this for +Cards or +Actions instead. Or you could combine the -1 Card token with another card.

Edit: Ninja clb
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 11:40:57 am »

Why does it have to be a literal duration?  Remember Treasury was designed to be a duration, but it turned out that the same design worked as a normal card.

Cards that are good this turn and hurt your next turn exist.  Courtyard, Count, Mandarin.  Develop to some extent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 11:47:32 am »
+2

Why does it have to be a literal duration?  Remember Treasury was designed to be a duration, but it turned out that the same design worked as a normal card.

Cards that are good this turn and hurt your next turn exist.  Courtyard, Count, Mandarin.  Develop to some extent.

Hmm... those are quite often good for your next turn. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 11:58:09 am »

Hmm... those are quite often good for your next turn.

Courtyard especially, because it doesn't anti-cycle.  If you want, you could even put the third card back without looking at it and it's like you played a Moat (other than potentially triggering a reshuffle).

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 04:23:03 pm »
+1

Yeah, Courtyard is often a better card than Smithy.  An optimized play of BM-Courtyard beats BM-Smithy

This surprises a lot of people -- it's only a cost, how can it be better?

Well choosing which card to have on your next turn, and cycling out the junk that might have been at the top of your deck, is actually really helpful.

The reason Courtyard gets away with costing so little is because the benefit does not stack.  If you play X number of Courtyards on your turn, it's almost exactly the same as if you played (X-1) Moats and then 1 Courtyard to end it off.  Only the last Courtyard really "counts" in terms of the topdecking benefit, so that's why it can be so cheap.

Word to the wise: There are very often situations where you want to spend a or buy to get a Courtyard.  If you only buy Courtyard when you have , you're underestimating the card's value.  This is a common mistake for players under level 35 or so
My opponent has more loot than me
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.