Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: discussion: match structure  (Read 1817 times)

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
discussion: match structure
« on: April 15, 2015, 06:51:49 pm »

I've been wondering about how matches would be structured. I never played in a Gokodom, but apparently this is how it worked:
IV. Match Structure

A. Each match will involve a minimum of three games and a maximum of 6 games.  In order to eliminate first-player advantage as much as possible, the following rules will be used:

1. Let Goko randomly determine who has the first seat in the first game.  That player will sit in the second seat in games two and three.  If more games are needed, that player will sit in the first seat in games four and five, then again in the second seat in game six.  This is more easily represented as A-B-B-A-A-B.

2. Because Goko randomly assigns starting players, you may be required to reset games to get the correct start order for each game.  It is recommended that you play unrated games for this reason.

3. Winning a game awards 1 game point; drawing a game awards 0.5 game points to both players.

4. A player wins the match if after 3 or 4 games, s/he has 3 game points; or after 5 or 6 games s/he has 3.5 game points.  A 3-3 tie on game points is a tie for the match.

Maybe this worked well but it seems confusing to a newcomer like me.

This is what I would suggest:
1. Play pro games without restarting.

2. You gain 2 points for winning as first player, 3 points for winning as second player, and 0 points for ties.

3. The first person to reach 8 points wins the match.

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: discussion: match structure
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:00:32 pm »

The match structure depends a bit on the tournament structure.
If you start with swiss, a tie is a perfectly fine result for the swiss phase.
If at some point it's an elimination tournament - you simply need a winner.

If you don't need a winner - I'd suggest the same structure as the league has - just 2 players starting 3 games each.

If you do need a winner I actually suggest the same - 2 players starting 3 games each.
If any player at some point gets to 3.5 points you can simply stop.
If it's 3-3 after 6 games you need something else.

I think I like 1 more game with a random starting player, and if that game ends in a tie the 2nd player is the winner? (I'd still want to be P1 easily)
Another option is to go on playing 2 games until it's not a tie, but that has the disadvantage that it could take very very long.

Quite unrelated: we could discuss making it best of 8 in stead of best of 6 from a certain point on. Maybe semifinals and finals?
Join the Dominion League!

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: discussion: match structure
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:07:22 pm »

I think I like 1 more game with a random starting player, and if that game ends in a tie the 2nd player is the winner? (I'd still want to be P1 easily)
Another option is to go on playing 2 games until it's not a tie, but that has the disadvantage that it could take very very long.

Or something in between - play 2 more games until it's not a tie or you've played X total, then sudden death with 2nd player winning ties.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.