Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: discussion: pausing the league?  (Read 3364 times)

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
discussion: pausing the league?
« on: April 15, 2015, 06:36:16 pm »
+1

There has been some questions about pausing the league for this tournament, or just overlapping it with a specific season.

Personally I strongly favor pausing it for at least a couple of weeks. My reasons are twofold:
a) I think people will underestimate the scheduling problems that arise when playing in both. Signing up for both and then failing one or the other.
b) I would be afraid a lot of players would not want to play in that specific league season, and the format doesn't handle a lot of players leaving & returning very well.
The first 10 or so are handled without any problem but at some point the whole promotion/demotion system just breaks.

I'm posting this here instead of on the league forum because... well I don't know why. I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, if you have a good argument why we should run the two tournaments simultaneously, please do post it.
Join the Dominion League!

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: discussion: pausing the league?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:45:13 pm »
+4

if you have a good argument why we should run the two tournaments simultaneously, please do post it.

Dominion is good, so more Dominion is better!

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 01:02:40 pm »

Will this tournament require everyone to play more than 1 match per week? Otherwise, I don't think it is a problem because in a elimination bracket the better(more dedicated?) players will remain and the more casual players will most likely be out earlier.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:14:24 pm »

Will this tournament require everyone to play more than 1 match per week? Otherwise, I don't think it is a problem because in a elimination bracket the better(more dedicated?) players will remain and the more casual players will most likely be out earlier.
The way it's been done before is 1 match per week.
But I think this plus the League might be too much of a commitment for people, and so I'd prefer the League to be paused, rather than have lots of people dropping out then rejoining.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 06:53:43 pm »
+4

Assuming we're doing elimination, I would say we don't need to pause the league for the entire tournament, just for the first few rounds until the majority of the players are knocked out.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 11:20:37 pm »

I don't know. I find it hard too handle league as it is. That's why I'm not doing it right now. I think just having one major Dominion thing going on at a time is best. There has to be other players like me in a similar time crunch position.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 12:16:38 am »
+3

The thing about an elimination match is that it concerns fewer people as it goes on. Delaying the league for three weeks for the 8 quarterfinalist's sake doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

iamsparticus

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 11:57:09 pm »

I'm new to the league and the forums, so I'm excited for starting the league, and therefore against pausing it.

If the tournament is single elimination, pausing the league becomes less necessary. I'm for double elimination, but it appears the vote was in slight favor of single elimination ... though my calculations could be wrong.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 12:34:32 am »

if you have a good argument why we should run the two tournaments simultaneously, please do post it.

Dominion is good, so more Dominion is better!

Kind of like Chapel. With a good Village you can play multiple Chapels every turn!
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.