Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: What other games do you enjoy playing?  (Read 50882 times)

Blaeu

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
What other games do you enjoy playing?
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:39:01 pm »

Okay, this isn't completely unrelated to games, but it isn't really a Dominion related topic...

What other games do you all enjoy playing?  I'm actually pretty new to "competitive" board games.  I have worked in the video game field for years and that has always been my passion.  From shooters, to RPGs, to strategy games, I have always loved video games.  Recently I discovered Dominion and feel in love with it.  Shortly after I found Isotropic and rejoiced as I am now no longer limited to playing with just my local friends.

I digress, what board games, video games, or other games in general do you enjoy playing?  Or, what games do you recommend to others?  This might be beyond the scope of this thread, but if you have an actually recommendation, please explain why you are recommending it.

---
To start things off, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I enjoy playing Pokemon, in a competitive nature.  Most people give me weird looks at this point since a 28-year-old guy is playing Pokemon, but I've hand a lot of fun over the years building teams and playing against other good players.  It a lot deeper than many people assume it is.

There is a program I use that works as a battle simulator.  It is free and has an incredible interface (for a free program).

http://www.pokemon-online.eu/

There is a lot more randomness in this game compared to Dominion because of how many Pokemon there are, and that the battle mechanics allow for critical hits at a low chance which can totally change how a game turns out.  This can be frustrating at times, however I chalk that game up to the RNG and move on to my next one.

There is a very steep learning curve if you wish to play; there are hundreds of Pokemon to learn and ten times the amount of moves.  It is not for everyone and the online community has many more kids than adults.  Still, I have fun with it and wanted to share it with others.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: What other games do you enjoy playing?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »

I used to play starcraft a lot.  It was basically my religion in high school.

Before I switched to Dominion, I was pretty good at Race for the Galaxy.  I definitely recommend RftG if you have a competitive friend and Dominion is feeling stale.

xBino

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:11:29 pm »

ah.. starcraft.  nothing quite as satisfying as a zealot rush for a quick "gg" :D

any one familiar with 7 wonders?  someone at my FLGS suggested that when i stopped by to see if they had the cornucopia expansion.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:14:31 pm »

I played a little bit of seven wonders and wasn't all that impressed.  I think theory has a somewhat more favorable opinion of it though.

After reading the answers to my post, I think the game just isn't that deep.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/599990/is-there-much-strategy-and-planning-in-seven-wonde

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6123
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:12:25 pm »
+1

I used to play starcraft a lot.  It was basically my religion in high school.

Before I switched to Dominion, I was pretty good at Race for the Galaxy.  I definitely recommend RftG if you have a competitive friend and Dominion is feeling stale.
I met rrenaud on TeamLiquid, back when it was a Brood War site rather than a SC2 site.

I also played RftG, but never quite was at rrenaud's level, who won back-to-back-to-back WBC RFTG championships.

The other main games I play are Twilight Struggle and Tichu.  I think Twilight Struggle is the greatest game ever made, in fact.

Scott Pilgrim

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:35:54 pm »
+1

* Scrabble/WordsWithFriends - for those wishing to challenge me, my WWF username is itsdavidthegreat

* Phase 10 (Master's Edition) is always a favorite

* Rook - I always love the dynamics of team strategy games

* Munchkin... especially Super Munchkin

* Fluxx - of the Monty Python and Zombie variety

...and more

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:12 pm »
+1

Magic the Gathering for over 10 years, but atm only occassionally like some Grand Prix's etc.

boloni

• Steward
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:10:53 pm »

I played a little bit of seven wonders and wasn't all that impressed.  I think theory has a somewhat more favorable opinion of it though.

After reading the answers to my post, I think the game just isn't that deep.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/599990/is-there-much-strategy-and-planning-in-seven-wonde
I like 7 Wonders, but I agree that it doesn't have so much depth (or I didn't find it yet). I think that I have an average winning rate, but most of the times I don't really know why I won.

I usually like to play strategic games like Agricola, Power Grid, Puerto Rico or Tigris and Euphrates. Other than that Munchkin is one of my favourite games.
And if anybody would like to play a game face to face around Mannheim or Stuttgart in the south of Germany write me a message.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:35:35 pm »

I met rrenaud on TeamLiquid, back when it was a Brood War site rather than a SC2 site.

I have to admit, that's not what I would have expected to hear on this forum. :)  Either of you play SC2?  (I don't have time to practice at SC and so mostly stay away from it except for the campaigns.)

Any other WOW players out there?  I also play Civ, Minecraft, and a couple others.  Oh, board games?  Almost anything except Catan.  Pandemic is a perennial favorite, as is Power Grid.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:41:31 pm »

As for video games, I played Warcraft II and III as well as WoW and Civilization I to V (which is the only video game I play right now).

As for board games... where do I begin ? I play a lot of them, especially Dominion but also family games such as Ticket to Ride (the Europe version especially), Colons of Catane, Carcassonne, Smallworld, Alhambra, but also party games (Time's Up!, Jungle Speed, Werewolf, Bang!) and more "serious" games (Le Havre, Tikal, War of the Rings) and some cooperative games (Knights of the Round Table, Pandemic, Horror at Arkham). I played RFTG once or twice and liked it, but never really had the chance to play more.

Then I also played WoW TCG for two years or so and now play the Game of Thrones LCG. Finally I like to play Tarot, which you've probably never heard of but is a very popular traditionnal card game in France.

Do try out Bang! as a drinking game by the way, it's quite something :D.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6123
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:46:30 pm »

I have to admit, that's not what I would have expected to hear on this forum. :)  Either of you play SC2?  (I don't have time to practice at SC and so mostly stay away from it except for the campaigns.)
I do not play SC2, and I do not think rrenaud does either.  I took BW pretty seriously ... stayed up and watched Korean pro games, gamed on PGT and WGT and ICCUP.  Certainly I don't have time to do any of that any more.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:07:10 pm »

I do not play SC2, and I do not think rrenaud does either.  I took BW pretty seriously ... stayed up and watched Korean pro games, gamed on PGT and WGT and ICCUP.  Certainly I don't have time to do any of that any more.

I actually like watching SC2 replays a lot, much more entertaining that watching... well, choose any sport, frankly.  The parallels between SC and Dominion are pretty striking, though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:01:20 pm »

top 5
Dominion
Puerto Rico
Munchkin
Magic
7 wonders

least fav
thunderstone
assension
zombies
descent
and i really hate forbidden island
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:34:38 am by Arya Stark »

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 12:07:55 am »

PC: QWTF (showing my age), Isotropic
Cards: Boerenbridge
Iphone: Battleheart

Boardgames really depends on the crowd!
with law friends: Dixit, Alhambra
with church friends: Dominion, Cranium
with actuary friends: Scotland yard, Auction monopoly (remove printed prices on the game board... very different game!)

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:37 am »

Playing games is pretty much what I do, and I play a lot of them (card, board and video), but bridge is the main one, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes challenging games and understands the basic concepts of trick-taking card games, because it's the best game out there and you can never truly master it.

rogerclee

• Steward
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 01:40:01 am »

drg and I are both competitive bridge players, I think there are some others near the top of the leaderboard. I agree it's a very good game, but the startup costs to learning it are high (we have probably both spent more than 10000 hours playing or studying bridge).

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 02:01:48 am »

I love "boerenbridge" and "hearts: four queens" because the scoring is very simple amongst trick-taking games...

At some point being unable to teach your friends, a game might as well not exist.
Scorecard spreadsheet in 500 was a huge turnoff.

RichyRich

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 03:50:09 am »

Boardgames: Catan, Chess, Diplomacy, Risk, Small World
Card Games: MtG
Video Games: Any Smash Bros. game, Mario Party 1-4 (too fun), assorted others

I used to be really serious about Super Smash Bros. Melee, but dropped out of the tournament scene when I started college. Would still love to play it, but there isn't that big of a community in Boston =/
Good luck and have fun :D

Axiom

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 04:32:44 am »

Some of my favourite boardgames:

Agricola, Puerto Rico, Battlestar Galactica

And computer games:

Football Manager, Civilization IV (have only played half a game on the last one), Morrowind, Mass Effect 1 & 2 , Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2

and probably a lot of other stuff that I can't think of right now. ;)

Silverback

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 05:59:07 am »

Some boardgames you should try out (german names):
Robo Rally
Carabande
La Cittá

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 06:43:21 am »

They are doing some great work over at slightlymagic.com with the old Shandalar M:TG game.  It is in the manalink 2.0 area of the site.  The game is kinda buggy but they have it downloadable, update it regularly and add fresh cards often.

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=271642bcc341352a6180555c9828148c
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 11:07:03 am »

I have a lot of favorite board/card games. I often bring way more board games than we could possibly play in one sitting, mostly because I like to give the other players a choice. Whatever I bring I'm perfectly happy to play.

Some of my more commonly grabbed games are:
Dominion (natch), Thunderstone, Pirate's Cove, Red November, Thurns and Taxis, Race for the Galaxy, Robo Rally, Smallworld, Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Keeper, Filthy Rich, Puerto Rico, Advanced Civilization, Kingsburg, San Juan, Power Grid, Factory Manager, Evo, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Revolution, Carcassonne, and Nanuk.  Also, if I own the game, I most likely own the expansions.

A friend of mine has some board games that I haven't picked up yet, such as Le Havre, Endeavor, Cuba, and Cargo Noir.

I do far less video games than I used to. I rarely buy games as soon as they come out (Portal 2 being an exception). I can usually wait until the hype dies down and scour Steam for some deals (I purchased GTA4 for under $10 during one crazy sale).

Kevin
A man has no signature

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 01:42:33 pm »

bridge
AOE3 vanilla - still love that game.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 04:05:37 pm »

least fav
thunderstone
assension

Now this interests me a bit... what is it you feel about Thunderstone and Ascension that fail so hard compared to Dominion?

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 04:10:17 pm »
+1

I don't really play a lot of games these days; mostly, I play chess, Magic, and Dominion.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.