Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: What other games do you enjoy playing?  (Read 46502 times)

carbonduck

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • GotKunju.com
Re: What other games do you enjoy playing?
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2011, 12:46:01 pm »
+1

Just bought The Resistance a few days ago and played with my group of board game buddies. Turns out that this game is so fun that even people who don't even play board or card games joined in and wanted to keep playing more and more.

It's pretty much Mafia/Werewolf without player elimination, without a moderator, and with actual gameplay so you have more bases for deducing rather than just psychological hunches. There is so much deception, lying, accusations, backstabbing, and paranoia that every game's intensity ramps up to heart-pounding levels very quickly.

The best $15 I've spent in a long time. Many more hours of fun are to be had this week.

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »

I agree, The Resistance is great! It's all the wacky random fun of any weighted RPS system, but with lots of meaningful strategic considerations so that you can feel like you're playing correctly while you lose to the other players' random guesses :D

I sound like I'm being totally sarcastic, but I'm not. It's exactly the way to get a player like me to enjoy such a high-variance game. You can build up enough incremental advantages that you can't get totally blown out, and each turn is a satisfying resource management puzzle even before you take into account other players messing with you.
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »

My childhood dalliance into 'unusual' board games (basically, not monopoly etc) began with Hero Quest.

I didn't rediscover my board game passion until my 20's when I played Fury of Dracula at a friends house and later he introduced me to Arkham Horror. I consider both of them to be excellent thematical board games.

Another game I have not seen mentioned yet is Pandemic. It's not my favourite game but it is a relatively short co-op game that is good fun on those occasions when I don't have the 4 hours it takes to play Arkham Horror.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 12:14:35 am »

Caylus

Caylus is one of those games I can only get into if I've been playing it a lot lately.  It is painful to get back into after awhile.  And I used to think Dungeon Lords was bad... :o
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

SixDaysShort

• Swindler
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 01:32:07 am »

Played 7 wonders a few times this weekend.  It's fun...and so, so fast.  I still have no idea what I'm doing.  The game seems highly luck-based.  But, I'll learn more as wenplay more.  I could be way off base.  It feels like a mix of citadels and race for the galaxy.

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 03:02:12 pm »
+1

Magic the Gathering
Poker (Texas Holdem)
Ascension

I tried 7 Wonders only once so I can't really comment on it yet.

ksf_

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »

A couple are:

Risk 2210 AD
Agricola
Pandemic (the only game other than Ticket to Ride my wife will play)
Puerto Rico
Ticket to Ride

What I really need is a good mod for Candyland as my little-one gets old enough to enjoy boardgames too.  Maybe some sort of structured bidding and character specific interactions with the various foods.  But getting the snowflake still means instant-win.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

Classical games from the East: Go, Shogi, sometimes Xiangqi.

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 05:10:04 pm »

The best game me and my mates play is an oldie (1998 mensa select winner)

Spy alley =D

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 11:13:51 am »

Played 7 wonders a few times this weekend.  It's fun...and so, so fast.  I still have no idea what I'm doing.  The game seems highly luck-based.  But, I'll learn more as wenplay more.  I could be way off base.  It feels like a mix of citadels and race for the galaxy.
I don't think it's that luckbased. At least, I seem to win more often than pure chance allows.

It's about optimizing, but for this you need to be able to collect and process a lot of information.
What resources are available to me through my own board/cards, my neighbor's boards/cards?
Which strategies are they following? Do they play mostly blue, green, red or yellow cards?

I find that I win a lot of the games, because I'm doing something differently than the other players or at least my neighbors. There's no use fighting a war of attrition with red cards, this will make sure you both lose.

If you play just with 3 players, it's easier to manipulate the hands and deny good stuff from your opponents. With 7 players you just have to focus on scoring as much as you can.

Be versatile for as long as you can. Don't overcommit to a strategy and find out at the end that the one card you needed is underneath a player's wonder. Green cards are good, but they're the biggest gamble. See if you can get at least 3 different ones, so you'll score 10 points and get to build some free stuff.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

questioneer

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 07:33:46 pm »

My favorites:

Boardgames:

Dominion (any version)
Axis and Allies Global 1940
Catan (any version)
Railways of the World (any map)
Risk (any version)
Ikusa
Warlords of Europe
War of the Ring
Puerto Rico
Monopoly
Revolution!
Poker
Chess
Xiangqi (Chinese Chess)
Shogi (Japanese Chess)
Backgammon

Video Game: Nothing except for Madden if I get the chance.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2012, 09:56:22 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of it, but most of the rest of my gaming group is really getting into Summoner Wars. 
We're also playing Cosmic Encounter, Agricola, the Penny Arcade deck building game, the latest fighting game (right now Street Fighter x Tekken), and others games that more or less rotate in and out.
Whenever we get a sizeable group together we almost always play The Resistance or Cards Against Humanity, the latter being like Apples to Apples, but rated M for Mature.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:45 pm »

I love Cosmic Encounter. I LOVE it. So much. All of the swingy, chaotic action, all of the ganging-up? I love it all. It's just wonderful. We play with 2 aliens each and with 110 aliens in all the expansions, it's just endless and completely different and crazy each time. It's definitely better with a good, fun group, though.

I play dominion way more than any other game right now but I think I still have to give Cosmic the nod as my favorite game. It's just so good EVERY time.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:54 pm »

I love Cosmic Encounter. I LOVE it. So much. All of the swingy, chaotic action, all of the ganging-up? I love it all. It's just wonderful. We play with 2 aliens each and with 110 aliens in all the expansions, it's just endless and completely different and crazy each time. It's definitely better with a good, fun group, though.

I play dominion way more than any other game right now but I think I still have to give Cosmic the nod as my favorite game. It's just so good EVERY time.
I've been playing a few Cosmic Encounter games on the BGG forums, Play-by-Forum actually works quite well.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:10 am »

Whenever we get a sizeable group together we almost always play The Resistance or Cards Against Humanity, the latter being like Apples to Apples, but rated M for Mature.

I just tried out Cards Against Humanity last weekend. It has the fun of Apples to Apples while making you need a shower afterwards. You get to tell culturally insensitive jokes, but they're on cards so it's guilt-free.

One problem I found with it is that there is a huge variance between mundane cards and insta-win cards. I had a hand containing "repression", "geese", and "men." These could easily be humorous answers, but their humor is lost when someone plays a card like "picking up girls at an abortion clinic." If you have a mostly bland hand, then their fun is overshadowed by the various Glenn-Beck-mutilating cards.

Although, one amusing story of that night was when one guy had the card, "During sex, I think of ____." I could not resist playing "The Little Engine that Could."
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 09:41:41 am »

I just tried out Cards Against Humanity last weekend. It has the fun of Apples to Apples while making you need a shower afterwards.

If I want to have no fun and feel icky afterward, I'll mow my lawn in 90 degree heat.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:34 pm »
+1

It has the fun of Apples to Apples

I loathe Apples to Apples.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »

I just tried out Cards Against Humanity last weekend. It has the fun of Apples to Apples while making you need a shower afterwards. You get to tell culturally insensitive jokes, but they're on cards so it's guilt-free.

One problem I found with it is that there is a huge variance between mundane cards and insta-win cards. I had a hand containing "repression", "geese", and "men." These could easily be humorous answers, but their humor is lost when someone plays a card like "picking up girls at an abortion clinic." If you have a mostly bland hand, then their fun is overshadowed by the various Glenn-Beck-mutilating cards.

Although, one amusing story of that night was when one guy had the card, "During sex, I think of ____." I could not resist playing "The Little Engine that Could."
I find that Apples to Apples has an even bigger problem with mundane cards.  I find that you almost always have a good answer for Cards against Humanity, but many times very meh or terrible answers for Apples to Apples.  And really, winning is very secondary to the hilarity of the answers other people put down.

It has the fun of Apples to Apples

I loathe Apples to Apples.
So do I, but I love Cards Against Humanity. Although the mechanic is the same, the types of cards you play are great.  Hard to hate a game with prompt cards like "________. That's how I want to die."  and "What did I bring back from Mexico?"  and answer cards like "The inevitable heat death of the universe" and "Passable transvestites."

(full card list here: http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/images/CardsAgainstHumanity.pdf.  Warning: Not for the faint of heart or haters of fun)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 05:54:59 pm »
+1

One of my friends mentioned on Facebook that she had to explain the Pixelated Bukkake card to another adult.  I was quite shocked that someone on the internet didn't have knowledge of that...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 10:25:42 am »

One of my friends mentioned on Facebook that she had to explain the Pixelated Bukkake card to another adult.  I was quite shocked that someone on the internet didn't have knowledge of that...

Heh, I actually won with that card when the round was, "There's an app for that."

We were all too frightened to go to our phones and see if there was, in fact, an app for that.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.055 seconds with 21 queries.