Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: What other games do you enjoy playing?  (Read 46514 times)

Blaeu

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
What other games do you enjoy playing?
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:39:01 pm »

Okay, this isn't completely unrelated to games, but it isn't really a Dominion related topic...

What other games do you all enjoy playing?  I'm actually pretty new to "competitive" board games.  I have worked in the video game field for years and that has always been my passion.  From shooters, to RPGs, to strategy games, I have always loved video games.  Recently I discovered Dominion and feel in love with it.  Shortly after I found Isotropic and rejoiced as I am now no longer limited to playing with just my local friends.

I digress, what board games, video games, or other games in general do you enjoy playing?  Or, what games do you recommend to others?  This might be beyond the scope of this thread, but if you have an actually recommendation, please explain why you are recommending it.

---
To start things off, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I enjoy playing Pokemon, in a competitive nature.  Most people give me weird looks at this point since a 28-year-old guy is playing Pokemon, but I've hand a lot of fun over the years building teams and playing against other good players.  It a lot deeper than many people assume it is.

There is a program I use that works as a battle simulator.  It is free and has an incredible interface (for a free program).

http://www.pokemon-online.eu/

There is a lot more randomness in this game compared to Dominion because of how many Pokemon there are, and that the battle mechanics allow for critical hits at a low chance which can totally change how a game turns out.  This can be frustrating at times, however I chalk that game up to the RNG and move on to my next one.

There is a very steep learning curve if you wish to play; there are hundreds of Pokemon to learn and ten times the amount of moves.  It is not for everyone and the online community has many more kids than adults.  Still, I have fun with it and wanted to share it with others.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: What other games do you enjoy playing?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »

I used to play starcraft a lot.  It was basically my religion in high school.

Before I switched to Dominion, I was pretty good at Race for the Galaxy.  I definitely recommend RftG if you have a competitive friend and Dominion is feeling stale.

xBino

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:11:29 pm »

ah.. starcraft.  nothing quite as satisfying as a zealot rush for a quick "gg" :D

any one familiar with 7 wonders?  someone at my FLGS suggested that when i stopped by to see if they had the cornucopia expansion.

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:14:31 pm »

I played a little bit of seven wonders and wasn't all that impressed.  I think theory has a somewhat more favorable opinion of it though.

After reading the answers to my post, I think the game just isn't that deep.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/599990/is-there-much-strategy-and-planning-in-seven-wonde

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:12:25 pm »
+1

Before I switched to Dominion, I was pretty good at Race for the Galaxy.  I definitely recommend RftG if you have a competitive friend and Dominion is feeling stale.
I met rrenaud on TeamLiquid, back when it was a Brood War site rather than a SC2 site.

I also played RftG, but never quite was at rrenaud's level, who won back-to-back-to-back WBC RFTG championships.

The other main games I play are Twilight Struggle and Tichu.  I think Twilight Struggle is the greatest game ever made, in fact.

Scott Pilgrim

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:35:54 pm »
+1

* Scrabble/WordsWithFriends - for those wishing to challenge me, my WWF username is itsdavidthegreat

* Phase 10 (Master's Edition) is always a favorite

* Rook - I always love the dynamics of team strategy games

* Munchkin... especially Super Munchkin

* Fluxx - of the Monty Python and Zombie variety

...and more

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:12 pm »
+1

Magic the Gathering for over 10 years, but atm only occassionally like some Grand Prix's etc.

boloni

• Steward
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:10:53 pm »

I played a little bit of seven wonders and wasn't all that impressed.  I think theory has a somewhat more favorable opinion of it though.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/599990/is-there-much-strategy-and-planning-in-seven-wonde
I like 7 Wonders, but I agree that it doesn't have so much depth (or I didn't find it yet). I think that I have an average winning rate, but most of the times I don't really know why I won.

I usually like to play strategic games like Agricola, Power Grid, Puerto Rico or Tigris and Euphrates. Other than that Munchkin is one of my favourite games.
And if anybody would like to play a game face to face around Mannheim or Stuttgart in the south of Germany write me a message.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:35:35 pm »

I met rrenaud on TeamLiquid, back when it was a Brood War site rather than a SC2 site.

I have to admit, that's not what I would have expected to hear on this forum. :)  Either of you play SC2?  (I don't have time to practice at SC and so mostly stay away from it except for the campaigns.)

Any other WOW players out there?  I also play Civ, Minecraft, and a couple others.  Oh, board games?  Almost anything except Catan.  Pandemic is a perennial favorite, as is Power Grid.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:41:31 pm »

As for video games, I played Warcraft II and III as well as WoW and Civilization I to V (which is the only video game I play right now).

As for board games... where do I begin ? I play a lot of them, especially Dominion but also family games such as Ticket to Ride (the Europe version especially), Colons of Catane, Carcassonne, Smallworld, Alhambra, but also party games (Time's Up!, Jungle Speed, Werewolf, Bang!) and more "serious" games (Le Havre, Tikal, War of the Rings) and some cooperative games (Knights of the Round Table, Pandemic, Horror at Arkham). I played RFTG once or twice and liked it, but never really had the chance to play more.

Then I also played WoW TCG for two years or so and now play the Game of Thrones LCG. Finally I like to play Tarot, which you've probably never heard of but is a very popular traditionnal card game in France.

Do try out Bang! as a drinking game by the way, it's quite something :D.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:46:30 pm »

I have to admit, that's not what I would have expected to hear on this forum. :)  Either of you play SC2?  (I don't have time to practice at SC and so mostly stay away from it except for the campaigns.)
I do not play SC2, and I do not think rrenaud does either.  I took BW pretty seriously ... stayed up and watched Korean pro games, gamed on PGT and WGT and ICCUP.  Certainly I don't have time to do any of that any more.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:07:10 pm »

I do not play SC2, and I do not think rrenaud does either.  I took BW pretty seriously ... stayed up and watched Korean pro games, gamed on PGT and WGT and ICCUP.  Certainly I don't have time to do any of that any more.

I actually like watching SC2 replays a lot, much more entertaining that watching... well, choose any sport, frankly.  The parallels between SC and Dominion are pretty striking, though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:01:20 pm »

top 5
Dominion
Puerto Rico
Munchkin
Magic
7 wonders

least fav
thunderstone
assension
zombies
descent
and i really hate forbidden island
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:34:38 am by Arya Stark »

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 12:07:55 am »

PC: QWTF (showing my age), Isotropic
Cards: Boerenbridge
Iphone: Battleheart

Boardgames really depends on the crowd!
with law friends: Dixit, Alhambra
with church friends: Dominion, Cranium
with actuary friends: Scotland yard, Auction monopoly (remove printed prices on the game board... very different game!)

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:37 am »

Playing games is pretty much what I do, and I play a lot of them (card, board and video), but bridge is the main one, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes challenging games and understands the basic concepts of trick-taking card games, because it's the best game out there and you can never truly master it.

rogerclee

• Steward
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 01:40:01 am »

drg and I are both competitive bridge players, I think there are some others near the top of the leaderboard. I agree it's a very good game, but the startup costs to learning it are high (we have probably both spent more than 10000 hours playing or studying bridge).

papaHav

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 02:01:48 am »

I love "boerenbridge" and "hearts: four queens" because the scoring is very simple amongst trick-taking games...

At some point being unable to teach your friends, a game might as well not exist.
Scorecard spreadsheet in 500 was a huge turnoff.

RichyRich

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 03:50:09 am »

Boardgames: Catan, Chess, Diplomacy, Risk, Small World
Card Games: MtG
Video Games: Any Smash Bros. game, Mario Party 1-4 (too fun), assorted others

I used to be really serious about Super Smash Bros. Melee, but dropped out of the tournament scene when I started college. Would still love to play it, but there isn't that big of a community in Boston =/
Good luck and have fun :D

Axiom

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 04:32:44 am »

Some of my favourite boardgames:

Agricola, Puerto Rico, Battlestar Galactica

And computer games:

Football Manager, Civilization IV (have only played half a game on the last one), Morrowind, Mass Effect 1 & 2 , Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2

and probably a lot of other stuff that I can't think of right now. ;)

Silverback

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 05:59:07 am »

Some boardgames you should try out (german names):
Robo Rally
Carabande
La Cittá

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 06:43:21 am »

They are doing some great work over at slightlymagic.com with the old Shandalar M:TG game.  It is in the manalink 2.0 area of the site.  The game is kinda buggy but they have it downloadable, update it regularly and add fresh cards often.

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=271642bcc341352a6180555c9828148c
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 11:07:03 am »

I have a lot of favorite board/card games. I often bring way more board games than we could possibly play in one sitting, mostly because I like to give the other players a choice. Whatever I bring I'm perfectly happy to play.

Some of my more commonly grabbed games are:
Dominion (natch), Thunderstone, Pirate's Cove, Red November, Thurns and Taxis, Race for the Galaxy, Robo Rally, Smallworld, Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Keeper, Filthy Rich, Puerto Rico, Advanced Civilization, Kingsburg, San Juan, Power Grid, Factory Manager, Evo, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Revolution, Carcassonne, and Nanuk.  Also, if I own the game, I most likely own the expansions.

A friend of mine has some board games that I haven't picked up yet, such as Le Havre, Endeavor, Cuba, and Cargo Noir.

I do far less video games than I used to. I rarely buy games as soon as they come out (Portal 2 being an exception). I can usually wait until the hype dies down and scour Steam for some deals (I purchased GTA4 for under $10 during one crazy sale).

Kevin
A man has no signature

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 01:42:33 pm »

bridge
AOE3 vanilla - still love that game.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 04:05:37 pm »

least fav
thunderstone
assension

Now this interests me a bit... what is it you feel about Thunderstone and Ascension that fail so hard compared to Dominion?

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 04:10:17 pm »
+1

I don't really play a lot of games these days; mostly, I play chess, Magic, and Dominion.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 07:42:44 pm »

least fav
thunderstone
assension

Now this interests me a bit... what is it you feel about Thunderstone and Ascension that fail so hard compared to Dominion?

Ascension has too much luck involved, its fun to play with my 8 year old son.
Thunderstone is ok, takes more time to setup than dominion, bought an expansion and never opened it
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:53:41 pm by Arya Stark »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 09:26:13 pm »

Boardgames: Catan, Chess, Diplomacy, Risk, Small World
Card Games: MtG
Video Games: Any Smash Bros. game, Mario Party 1-4 (too fun), assorted others

I used to be really serious about Super Smash Bros. Melee, but dropped out of the tournament scene when I started college. Would still love to play it, but there isn't that big of a community in Boston =/
Holy crap, for real? I'm going to MIT right and have been playing Melee for a while, and I'd be glad to play with you! Once I get back from summer vacation >_> See http://www.youtube.com/user/ycz13
as well as http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256340

I haven't really played any games that seriously besides Melee; Dominion, chess a while ago, and I guess Tetris are the only ones that are anywhere close.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 09:38:32 pm »

I also played RftG, but never quite was at rrenaud's level, who won back-to-back-to-back WBC RFTG championships.

The other main games I play are Twilight Struggle and Tichu.  I think Twilight Struggle is the greatest game ever made, in fact.

I'm also a big Twilight Struggle fan; I think it's probably the second-greatest game ever though I don't get to play it much these days.  Although I mostly play Euros and their ilk (Puerto Rico, Agricola, Acquire, Age of Steam, etc.) the top spot for me has to go to good old Scrabble.  Recently, the vast majority of my gaming time has been going to Isotropic and Scrabble with my gf.

Also a big fan of this one.  One of my gaming friends has gotten tired of Dominion and prefers 7 Wonders now, whereas I've gone in the opposite direction.  Fortunately we both like RTFG, so we play that a bunch.  (Not that I hate 7 Wonders, just that I think it is way less interesting and strategic than Dominion or RTFG.)
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

J.Co.

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 02:21:43 am »

My all-time favorite games (other than Dominion):
Space Hulk
Robo Rally
Shadows Over Camelot
Buck Rogers

Second-tier games for me include:
Memoir 44
Pizza Box Football
Descent
Munchkin
Settlers/Starfarers of Catan
Twilight Imperium

Game I think is most overrated: Battlestar Galactica

Videogames: too many to name. Metroid is my favorite franchise, though.

Reyk

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 07:08:02 am »

My all-time favorite games (other than Dominion):
Shadows Over Camelot
Game I think is most overrated: Battlestar Galactica

Interesting. I really really like both games. But I strongly recommend this variant for Battlestar:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/399183/valley-of-darkness-an-unofficial-mini-expansion

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 10:01:05 am »

Had a ridiculous BSG game last night, where rrenaud and I lost despite being at 9 distance and 13 population.  We lost 12 population in two turns, as our only pilot turned out to be a Cylon...

My favorite recent BSG game came when rrenaud and his fellow Cylon were defeated because Helena Cain (me) played Critical Situation, launched two nukes with Strategic Planning on each, and rolled 8's on both to wipe out almost twenty Cylon ships and save our very last civilian ship (while at 1 population).

I think BSG is a very poorly-designed game that is nevertheless very fun.  It's the main face-to-face game I play now.

Axiom

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 10:12:28 am »

Game mechanics wise it might not be the best game out there, but I love it because of the "feeling" I get when I play it; I think it is a very good themed game. And of course it's a "social game" where the experience is just (well, maybe not quite) as important as winning or losing, whereas most other games I enjoy is about strategy and getting the most points etc.

I have not played Shadows Over Camelot, but from what I've heard, it seems like most people like BSG a lot better (at least the people whose opinions I've heard).

By the way, who of you have played Twilight Imperium? Did you like it? I am probably going to play it this weekend (after my last exam!)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 10:40:11 am »

Oh God, I played a 9hour TI game a couple weeks ago that ended when this awful boon ("noob" backwards ... someone who is not new at the game, but still incompetent at it) gifted a win to another player.

My standard is: if it takes as long as Twilight Struggle, it better be as good as Twilight Struggle, and TI was not worth 3-4 Twilight Struggles.  TI feels a little too chaotic, like you aren't in control of your destiny.  It's probably a lot of fun with the right people, but I didn't play in a good group my first time.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 11:02:51 am »

Magic the Gathering
Agricola
Poker (HORSE, Omaha...)

carbonduck

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • GotKunju.com
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:53 am »

* Fluxx - of the Monty Python and Zombie variety

YES! I've been trying to recall all of the card and board games that I played regularly with my friends back in college... and I had completely forgotten about Fluxx. I just ordered a copy on Ebay and now my friends and I are going to have a blast next week. Thanks a lot!

Taqman

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 02:24:42 pm »

So I have yet to get into Race For the Galaxy but I am very interested after discovering it has a ladder like isotropic:  http://rftgstats.com/

But the Genie server is down, and the flexboardgames server doesnt seem to be working either. 

For any players that legitimately play both games, what is your opinion on the relative amount of luck between RftG and Dominion?  Is RftG as rewarding?  Obviously if rrenaud can win back to back national tournaments it can't be THAT luck based, right?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 02:35:10 pm »

The primary site of multiplayer RFTG is now via the Keldon AI, but that doesn't produce logs for RFTGstats.  In general, the RFTG multiplayer scene seems to have died once Isotropic sprang up.

I think RFTG about the same luck factor as Dominion, with the caveat that progression in RFTG is much more gradual than the jumps in skill you tend to see in Dominion.

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 02:37:17 pm »

FWIW, "national" is a bit of a stretch.  WBC mostly attracts people from the mid atlantic region.  OTOH, there was a tournament where the game designer was present near Portland, Oregon, and me and two of my friends flew from NYC and took 1,2, and 3, so that was pretty cool.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 05:00:56 pm »

Unfortunately my friends don't want to handle learning and playing different games all the time.  As of now I mainly play  dominion, catan (cities and knights over regular), colosseum, and ticket to ride.  If I had my way, I'd make them play any euro style game.

Regarding catan, does anyone play online at games.asobrain.com?  I haven't played in awhile, but feel free to send me a message if you feel like playing a quality game of catan.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 11:45:55 pm »

My game group and I have been playing a lot of Notre Dame lately.  The game has many criticisms, but it is not bad as a warm-up as an exercise in simple game mechanics.  There seems to be an upper bound on the number of points possible (assuming you have perfect draws), and as soon as you figure out an optimal strategy, it is not difficult to get to 70-80 points or more regularly.  The expansion in the Alea Treasure Chest makes things slightly more undetermined with respect to strategy, but not by much.

I'm also still getting mileage out of the original Starcraft, and haven't quite gotten around to Starcraft II yet, but hopefully will soon.

If you're into non-strategy party games, you should try Say Anything, if you haven't already done so.  It's like Apples to Apples meets Loaded Questions and is an absolute riot.

An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 09:00:12 am »

1. Chess. I'm decent, not great (my last 7 games against masters I'm +1 =3 -3). I play several blitz games every day. And I know a few Grandmasters and several International Masters
2. Card Games. 500 is my favourite, but also Spades, Canasta, Gin, Casino, 13, and a few dozen other games with less frequency.
3. I like the "Euro-Style" board games, but haven't actually played all that many all that often. The one I've played MOST often (other than Dominion, of course) is Small World, which I quite like. I've also played Ticket to Ride (US) several times, but I'm sort of meh on it. And then there are a few that I've only played once for whatever reason.
4. Backgammon
5. Among computer games/video games, I'm not nearly so into them as I used to be (although I guess I never was really into them). I've played some SC2, but I'm not very good at it. My APM hovers in the low 30s. Yeah...

SixDaysShort

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2011, 04:30:14 am »

I don't really play much in the way of competitive gaming anymore.  I do game night with a big group (8-10) every week or two.  For lighter games, balderdash, cranium, rock band, wii-bacci, bohnanza.  We play race for the galaxy every now and then.  We play citadels every now and then. Carcassone and settlers are played (but I avoid them).  They couple who does it all also has the battlestar galactica game and seven wonders...both unopened.  We gave game of thrones a chance, but gave up.

hughes

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 06:55:52 am »

I played it once.  It's nice because you can play 7 people without dragging.

Ticket to Ride is a really fun game that pretty much everyone enjoys and doesn't take 3 hours.  A beginner game with 5 people can be played in less than 90 mins.

Randal FTW

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 09:03:07 am »

Mostly card games these days. Poker (found dominion off a poker site), spades, gin, etc. I use to play a ton of Guild Wars and Champions but havent in a few years.
With No Power Comes No Responsibility

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 03:04:54 pm »

All these Starcraft players, but no LoL? Sad day. Though I did see someone logged in to isotropic as 'HotShotGG' last night which made me chuckle. (For those not in the know, he is one of the top League of Legends players currently competing at Dreamhack in Sweden.)

I used to be kind of serious about Brawl, though never close to good by tourney standards.

I play a lot of rhythm games: GH3, RB2+3, Stepmania, Pump it Up except my local arcade's copy had the screen broken recently :/, Poppin' Music

I recently tried a game of Mansions of Madness, a style of game I had experienced several times with Betrayal at House on the Hill and not enjoyed very much, but to my surprise it was really good! Captured the survival-horror sense pretty well, and had very nice DM mechanics.

I used to be (well, I guess still am?) the best Frames player in the world over at superdupergames.org, but that was out of about 30 active players XD

I play Magic, but like someone else in this thread, spend more time reading MaRo's articles than playing the game. I think I honestly enjoy actually playing Dominion more than actually playing magic now, though Magic has an amazingly deep system and card set, and I'm even sort of in training to be a judge. I also ran a puzzley magic variant called 2CB at mtgsalvation.com for a year. It was quite successful, and if you have any interest in exploring Magic in a more controlled, nonrandom environment, I recommend checking it and it's sister XCBs out.

And I don't know if this counts as *playing* games exactly, but I spend a lot of time over at tasvideos.org and have recently begun work on my very first TAS, of the wonderful Ninja Senki. If you've never heard of TASes, watch this (Mario 64) or this (Pokemon Yellow) and have your mind blown.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:15:58 pm by Personman »
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

Amaranth

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2011, 07:43:58 pm »

The game I play most frequently is V:TES. I'm particularly fond of some of the Bloodlines. Shattering Crescendo is a very fun deck (for me, at any rate).

In terms of board games, I'm very fond of BSG, and have fond memories of Shogun/Samurai Swords, which is one of the few conquest games where you win by player elimination and you don't have a tedious mopping up phase where you have to grind your way through an opponent who has no chance of winning.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 08:51:18 pm »

Anyone ever play W101 (Wizard101)?   It's an online MMO with over ten million player's.  I like this game because it's a turn-based game with a lot of strategy, like dominion.

papaHav

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 12:04:03 am »

Just played citadels on the weekend. 5 players - great game =D buy rating!

7 players - horrible

SixDaysShort

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 01:24:34 am »

Just played citadels on the weekend. 5 players - great game =D buy rating!

7 players - horrible

6 people isn't bad, either--at least in my experience.

I played battlestar galactica (just the base game) this weekend with 5 other friends. Someone got it from borders for $15 dollars 4 months ago...but we hadn't opened it, out of intimidation at the number of pieces and estimated time, until then.  I don't k is if it was an aberration, but it was by far the best boardgame experience I've ever had.  Because of unfamiliarity, the game took almost 4 hours...but not one of us ever got bored.

Incredible.  I can't wait to play again.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 08:01:16 am »

Dominion is probably my favorite game, which is saying a lot coming from someone who generally prefers little-to-no-luck strategy games. The depth-to-length ratio is just awesome. But I do play a lot of other board games, and here are some favorites:

Agricola - My first love and still my favorite.
Brass - I forgive the byzantine ruleset because once you learn it, it makes for exquisite balance and depth of strategy.
Antiquity - So unique and rewarding among resource-management games that you can forgive the chit overload.
Dominant Species - "Was that really 6 hours? I hardly noticed." The only area control game I truly love.
Innovation - Tactics porn. This is my idea of a beer-and-pretzels game, with delightful gameplay even though the outcome hinges heavily on luck.
Merchants & Marauders - The best thematic dice-roller ;D
Smallworld - Light enough for neophytes and well-balanced with any number of players.
Caylus
Goa
Power Grid

I'm on a Troyes kick lately, too. Definitely the best heavily dice-based Euro I've played, improving hugely on Alien Frontiers or Kingsburg. I've only played Indonesia once so far, but I suspect it will become a favorite with more time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:02:56 am by guided »

carbonduck

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
    • GotKunju.com
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2011, 12:46:01 pm »
+1

Just bought The Resistance a few days ago and played with my group of board game buddies. Turns out that this game is so fun that even people who don't even play board or card games joined in and wanted to keep playing more and more.

It's pretty much Mafia/Werewolf without player elimination, without a moderator, and with actual gameplay so you have more bases for deducing rather than just psychological hunches. There is so much deception, lying, accusations, backstabbing, and paranoia that every game's intensity ramps up to heart-pounding levels very quickly.

The best $15 I've spent in a long time. Many more hours of fun are to be had this week.

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »

I agree, The Resistance is great! It's all the wacky random fun of any weighted RPS system, but with lots of meaningful strategic considerations so that you can feel like you're playing correctly while you lose to the other players' random guesses :D

I sound like I'm being totally sarcastic, but I'm not. It's exactly the way to get a player like me to enjoy such a high-variance game. You can build up enough incremental advantages that you can't get totally blown out, and each turn is a satisfying resource management puzzle even before you take into account other players messing with you.
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »

My childhood dalliance into 'unusual' board games (basically, not monopoly etc) began with Hero Quest.

I didn't rediscover my board game passion until my 20's when I played Fury of Dracula at a friends house and later he introduced me to Arkham Horror. I consider both of them to be excellent thematical board games.

Another game I have not seen mentioned yet is Pandemic. It's not my favourite game but it is a relatively short co-op game that is good fun on those occasions when I don't have the 4 hours it takes to play Arkham Horror.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 12:14:35 am »

Caylus

Caylus is one of those games I can only get into if I've been playing it a lot lately.  It is painful to get back into after awhile.  And I used to think Dungeon Lords was bad... :o
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

SixDaysShort

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 01:32:07 am »

Played 7 wonders a few times this weekend.  It's fun...and so, so fast.  I still have no idea what I'm doing.  The game seems highly luck-based.  But, I'll learn more as wenplay more.  I could be way off base.  It feels like a mix of citadels and race for the galaxy.

tko

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 03:02:12 pm »
+1

Magic the Gathering
Poker (Texas Holdem)
Ascension

I tried 7 Wonders only once so I can't really comment on it yet.

ksf_

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »

A couple are:

Risk 2210 AD
Agricola
Pandemic (the only game other than Ticket to Ride my wife will play)
Puerto Rico
Ticket to Ride

What I really need is a good mod for Candyland as my little-one gets old enough to enjoy boardgames too.  Maybe some sort of structured bidding and character specific interactions with the various foods.  But getting the snowflake still means instant-win.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

Classical games from the East: Go, Shogi, sometimes Xiangqi.

papaHav

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 05:10:04 pm »

The best game me and my mates play is an oldie (1998 mensa select winner)

Spy alley =D

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 11:13:51 am »

Played 7 wonders a few times this weekend.  It's fun...and so, so fast.  I still have no idea what I'm doing.  The game seems highly luck-based.  But, I'll learn more as wenplay more.  I could be way off base.  It feels like a mix of citadels and race for the galaxy.
I don't think it's that luckbased. At least, I seem to win more often than pure chance allows.

It's about optimizing, but for this you need to be able to collect and process a lot of information.
What resources are available to me through my own board/cards, my neighbor's boards/cards?
Which strategies are they following? Do they play mostly blue, green, red or yellow cards?

I find that I win a lot of the games, because I'm doing something differently than the other players or at least my neighbors. There's no use fighting a war of attrition with red cards, this will make sure you both lose.

If you play just with 3 players, it's easier to manipulate the hands and deny good stuff from your opponents. With 7 players you just have to focus on scoring as much as you can.

Be versatile for as long as you can. Don't overcommit to a strategy and find out at the end that the one card you needed is underneath a player's wonder. Green cards are good, but they're the biggest gamble. See if you can get at least 3 different ones, so you'll score 10 points and get to build some free stuff.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

questioneer

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 07:33:46 pm »

My favorites:

Boardgames:

Dominion (any version)
Axis and Allies Global 1940
Catan (any version)
Railways of the World (any map)
Risk (any version)
Ikusa
Warlords of Europe
War of the Ring
Puerto Rico
Monopoly
Revolution!
Poker
Chess
Xiangqi (Chinese Chess)
Shogi (Japanese Chess)
Backgammon

Video Game: Nothing except for Madden if I get the chance.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2012, 09:56:22 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of it, but most of the rest of my gaming group is really getting into Summoner Wars. 
We're also playing Cosmic Encounter, Agricola, the Penny Arcade deck building game, the latest fighting game (right now Street Fighter x Tekken), and others games that more or less rotate in and out.
Whenever we get a sizeable group together we almost always play The Resistance or Cards Against Humanity, the latter being like Apples to Apples, but rated M for Mature.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:45 pm »

I love Cosmic Encounter. I LOVE it. So much. All of the swingy, chaotic action, all of the ganging-up? I love it all. It's just wonderful. We play with 2 aliens each and with 110 aliens in all the expansions, it's just endless and completely different and crazy each time. It's definitely better with a good, fun group, though.

I play dominion way more than any other game right now but I think I still have to give Cosmic the nod as my favorite game. It's just so good EVERY time.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:54 pm »

I love Cosmic Encounter. I LOVE it. So much. All of the swingy, chaotic action, all of the ganging-up? I love it all. It's just wonderful. We play with 2 aliens each and with 110 aliens in all the expansions, it's just endless and completely different and crazy each time. It's definitely better with a good, fun group, though.

I play dominion way more than any other game right now but I think I still have to give Cosmic the nod as my favorite game. It's just so good EVERY time.
I've been playing a few Cosmic Encounter games on the BGG forums, Play-by-Forum actually works quite well.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:10 am »

Whenever we get a sizeable group together we almost always play The Resistance or Cards Against Humanity, the latter being like Apples to Apples, but rated M for Mature.

I just tried out Cards Against Humanity last weekend. It has the fun of Apples to Apples while making you need a shower afterwards. You get to tell culturally insensitive jokes, but they're on cards so it's guilt-free.

One problem I found with it is that there is a huge variance between mundane cards and insta-win cards. I had a hand containing "repression", "geese", and "men." These could easily be humorous answers, but their humor is lost when someone plays a card like "picking up girls at an abortion clinic." If you have a mostly bland hand, then their fun is overshadowed by the various Glenn-Beck-mutilating cards.

Although, one amusing story of that night was when one guy had the card, "During sex, I think of ____." I could not resist playing "The Little Engine that Could."
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 09:41:41 am »

I just tried out Cards Against Humanity last weekend. It has the fun of Apples to Apples while making you need a shower afterwards.

If I want to have no fun and feel icky afterward, I'll mow my lawn in 90 degree heat.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:34 pm »
+1

It has the fun of Apples to Apples

I loathe Apples to Apples.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »

I just tried out Cards Against Humanity last weekend. It has the fun of Apples to Apples while making you need a shower afterwards. You get to tell culturally insensitive jokes, but they're on cards so it's guilt-free.

One problem I found with it is that there is a huge variance between mundane cards and insta-win cards. I had a hand containing "repression", "geese", and "men." These could easily be humorous answers, but their humor is lost when someone plays a card like "picking up girls at an abortion clinic." If you have a mostly bland hand, then their fun is overshadowed by the various Glenn-Beck-mutilating cards.

Although, one amusing story of that night was when one guy had the card, "During sex, I think of ____." I could not resist playing "The Little Engine that Could."
I find that Apples to Apples has an even bigger problem with mundane cards.  I find that you almost always have a good answer for Cards against Humanity, but many times very meh or terrible answers for Apples to Apples.  And really, winning is very secondary to the hilarity of the answers other people put down.

It has the fun of Apples to Apples

I loathe Apples to Apples.
So do I, but I love Cards Against Humanity. Although the mechanic is the same, the types of cards you play are great.  Hard to hate a game with prompt cards like "________. That's how I want to die."  and "What did I bring back from Mexico?"  and answer cards like "The inevitable heat death of the universe" and "Passable transvestites."

(full card list here: http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/images/CardsAgainstHumanity.pdf.  Warning: Not for the faint of heart or haters of fun)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 05:54:59 pm »
+1

One of my friends mentioned on Facebook that she had to explain the Pixelated Bukkake card to another adult.  I was quite shocked that someone on the internet didn't have knowledge of that...

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 10:25:42 am »

One of my friends mentioned on Facebook that she had to explain the Pixelated Bukkake card to another adult.  I was quite shocked that someone on the internet didn't have knowledge of that...

Heh, I actually won with that card when the round was, "There's an app for that."

We were all too frightened to go to our phones and see if there was, in fact, an app for that.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.