Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Share Your Pre-Game Planning Success Stories  (Read 4791 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Share Your Pre-Game Planning Success Stories
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:39:08 am »

Everyone has had games where they look at a set of 10 kingdom cards and decide that they want to do something rather unconventional right from the beginning.  It's another matter to see a strategy like this turn out exactly as you envisioned it. 

In a recent game, I started out ironworks / chapel in a colony game much to the surprise of my opponent.  I used the ironworks to gain a conspirator and a haven and worked toward getting a kings court.  Kings court / conspirator / ironworks was able to fuel my engine, while using salvager to deplete the colony's before my opponent could do anything.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110604-162340-9d4e5552.html
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Stoc

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Share Your Pre-Game Planning Success Stories
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:32 pm »

That is a pretty impressive game. Kudos!

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:32:20 pm »

Well, is there any other good strategy on this board than Conspirator Chapel? The use of Salvager is nice though to speed things up.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:37:35 pm »

That's actually one of my big weaknesses: I tend to write off University, Workshop, and Ironworks, but sometimes they prove critical (like here).  I should focus more often on when such cards are essential to maintaining an engine: kudos!

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:14:24 pm »

That's actually one of my big weaknesses: I tend to write off University, Workshop, and Ironworks, but sometimes they prove critical (like here).  I should focus more often on when such cards are essential to maintaining an engine: kudos!
Well, here is a good example of an engine that relied on University to build it up. Multiple spammables at the £5 level, yum.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Richard

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:04:43 am »

Everyone has had games where they look at a set of 10 kingdom cards and decide that they want to do something rather unconventional right from the beginning.  It's another matter to see a strategy like this turn out exactly as you envisioned it. 

In a recent game, I started out ironworks / chapel in a colony game much to the surprise of my opponent.  I used the ironworks to gain a conspirator and a haven and worked toward getting a kings court.  Kings court / conspirator / ironworks was able to fuel my engine, while using salvager to deplete the colony's before my opponent could do anything.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110604-162340-9d4e5552.html

Woah! That game was against me. Shark_bait tells the truth: I was very much surprised by ironworks/chapel opening. When I saw his opening I did not properly consider the presence of King's Court, and simply assumed that he would build up a conspirator chain with haven + ironworks. I thought it would be annoying but too slow in a colony game. As you can see in the log, I was not able to consistently buy colonies, and once I lost the lead, my opponent used his incredible drawing and King's Court + Salvager to run out the colonies.

I will readily admit that this was definitely one of the largest "misreads" I have made in a long time. I have learned from my mistake (hopefully).

Stoc

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:37:27 pm »

University/Wharf is one of my all-time favorite catalysts.

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 07:26:38 pm »

Writing off university when there are very good, spammable 5's is incredibly dangerous(wharf, lab, hunting party etc) - especially if there are no other +2 action cards.  I've written off ironworks more than once to my chagrin though, especially when bridge is in play.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.