Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: It didn't seem like it at first...  (Read 1622 times)

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
It didn't seem like it at first...
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:26:13 am »

...but this Kingdom was built to be a sloggggg.. I'm pretty sure this took 30-40 minutes to play out (felt like 2 hours) and it ended in resignation.

Code: [Select]
Apothecary, Ambassador, Advisor, Marauder, Monument, Smithy, Throne Room, Treasure Map, Outpost, Saboteur

Log of the game
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
Re: It didn't seem like it at first...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 03:47:48 am »

Ambassador and Marauder, with the threat of Saboteur (with Throne Room!) can slow things down quite a bit. Although, I don't understand your decision to get rid of all your copper when almost half your deck consists of Apothecaries... seems like you could have been making a lot more than $4 a turn.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 05:19:15 am »
+1

Getting rid of (mostly) all your coppers looks fine, there's not really anything more expensive then $4 you want anyway.
By the time you even consider a 2nd purchase of a ruined market the game has already been decided.
However, there are quite some early turns where you return 2 coppers rather then 1 estate. I wouldn't do that in an apothecary-ambassador deck.

5/2 is obviously bad but I'd open Ambassador/- rather then Potion/-.
I think if your opponent...
a) opens Amb/Amb or
b) opens Amb/Potion but buys 2nd Amb on turn 3 and Throne Room on t4
... you're in really bad shape.

Around turn 18 you sort of "have the game sealed". I'd now get Saboteur rather then Monuments.

I think you want to play with more throne rooms and probably 1 or 2 smithies at some point.
Advisors are also fine, probably better if you don't have enough throne rooms.

This is not the kind of game I'd call a slog, but I guess that word lacks a good definition.
Join the Dominion League!

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 05:51:48 am »

Getting rid of (mostly) all your coppers looks fine, there's not really anything more expensive then $4 you want anyway.
By the time you even consider a 2nd purchase of a ruined market the game has already been decided.
However, there are quite some early turns where you return 2 coppers rather then 1 estate. I wouldn't do that in an apothecary-ambassador deck.

5/2 is obviously bad but I'd open Ambassador/- rather then Potion/-.
I think if your opponent...
a) opens Amb/Amb or
b) opens Amb/Potion but buys 2nd Amb on turn 3 and Throne Room on t4
... you're in really bad shape.

Around turn 18 you sort of "have the game sealed". I'd now get Saboteur rather then Monuments.

I think you want to play with more throne rooms and probably 1 or 2 smithies at some point.
Advisors are also fine, probably better if you don't have enough throne rooms.

This is not the kind of game I'd call a slog, but I guess that word lacks a good definition.

I'm lost on the idea of buying Saboteurs at all in this game, or most games for that matter. I can see myself holding onto a couple more coppers but I feel I would never have recovered from Ambassador's weakness against the Ruins my opponent was throwing at me had I kept more than a couple more.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 06:05:57 am »

I'm lost on the idea of buying Saboteurs at all in this game, or most games for that matter.

Saboteur is almost always a terrible card, so you're right on that one.

Only sweet spot for this card is in a game where you can throne or king it consistently, and your opponent lacks +buy, and you're not afraid of losing on a 3 pile you're now handing out for free.
This kingdom has all the required properties for it.
Join the Dominion League!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.