Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Selection of bots on MF/Goko  (Read 4146 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Selection of bots on MF/Goko
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:35:22 pm »

In every session I've played in for the past two weeks or more, I only see Serf Bot as an opponent. Does anyone know how the computer selects your opponent when you play against the bots?

It's like Defender Bot and the third one have gone away completely.  I'm not complaining, as Serf is apparently easier to beat, but I am wondering what's up. (Note: I only play against one opponent).
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Selection of bots on MF/Goko
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:41:41 pm »

In every session I've played in for the past two weeks or more, I only see Serf Bot as an opponent. Does anyone know how the computer selects your opponent when you play against the bots?

It's like Defender Bot and the third one have gone away completely.  I'm not complaining, as Serf is apparently easier to beat, but I am wondering what's up. (Note: I only play against one opponent).

I thought the bots had different ratings, and your opponent depends on what your rating is, so the higher your rating is, the more likely you are to match against the "better" bot.  But, I could be making that up.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 02:10:11 pm »

I'm not sure I parse what that would mean for my circumstances, but I've changed nothing operationally in the past few weeks.  I'm winning a lot more against Serf, so I would think my rating would be going up, and therefore get me "better competition".

I don't pay any attention to Pro and Casual, but my rating on Pro is 1647, and my rank on Casual is 0 (zero).  Does this mean anything in particular (except that I am really bad at Dominion)?

If I've re-read you correctly, I can go into a lobby, but play against bots rather than humans, as opposed to hitting the "Play Bots" button from the home screen?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:15:56 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:20:48 pm »
+1

The problem is that it is checking your casual ranking, but you never play casual so it's just constantly making you play worse and worse bots (because ratings decay).  I would either just always play in the lobby or get some casual games played to make your rating go up.

Also, a rating of 0 usually means you have a negative ranking (not surprising if you don't play that mode at all).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »
+3

If I've re-read you correctly, I can go into a lobby, but play against bots rather than humans, as opposed to hitting the "Play Bots" button from the home screen?

Yeah, it's weird and unnecessary that they have "Play Bots" as a separate mode. The best way to play bots is not in "Play Bots" mode but in "Multiplayer" mode. When hosting a game you can fill any seat with a bot of your choice. Clicking on an open seat gives you a list of the bots and their ratings. (In the game creation page you can select "Private Game" to prevent humans from joining.)

Sometimes you get a blank popup window where the bot selection list should be. When that happens I hit the refresh button on my browser and create the game again. It always works the second time.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 08:29:18 pm »

Wow, thanks guys, that will really help.

If I slip into insanity and decide to give them money (I'm REALLY tired of base cards), can I use any cards I own against the bots?
Posting begets posting.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:46 pm »
+20

If I slip into insanity and decide to give them money (I'm REALLY tired of base cards), can I use any cards I own against the bots?

You can, but be aware that the bots can use those same cards against you too.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 09:22:23 pm »
+9

Excellent point.  I may need to reconsider.
Posting begets posting.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 04:25:19 pm »
+3

You can, but be aware that the bots can use those same cards against you too.

Except Rats.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 08:36:09 am »

What's going on is that serf bot has a negative rating, so actually playing serf bot can actually negatively impact your pro rating. Anyone with a casual rating of 0 is automatically paired with serf bot. So, you actually have to go to the multiplayer menu and boost your casual rating just to get paired with bots that aren't serf. It's a bug that occurred when bots were switched over from the casual leaderboard to the pro leaderboard.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 09:44:49 pm »
+1

What's going on is that serf bot has a negative rating, so actually playing serf bot can actually negatively impact your pro rating. Anyone with a casual rating of 0 is automatically paired with serf bot. So, you actually have to go to the multiplayer menu and boost your casual rating just to get paired with bots that aren't serf. It's a bug that occurred when bots were switched over from the casual leaderboard to the pro leaderboard.

Well, I'm glad I read this. I never knew why it happened. I get emails about this, and I direct people to the multiplayer workaround.

Bext

• Herbalist
  • AKA Burijidah
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 05:41:52 pm »
+1

Thanks for this info, I am using the multiplayer option now too!

As a only slightly related question, it looks like the bot ratings in multiplayer actually changes? Do they go up and down based on their win/loss record or something? I would think it would always be Serf Bot at the bottom (as it is) and then another bot that remains static above that, all the way up.

With my mighty skills, I am always just playing the one above Serf; sometimes it is Banker, sometimes Warrior.

I amuse myself thinking of the bots having more or less engaged workweeks with corresponding score changes. Or maybe they work on commission...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 06:44:33 pm »

Do they go up and down based on their win/loss record or something?

Pretty much. It also depends on the ratings of the human players the bots are playing against (the bot gains more points for beating a high level player, and loses more points for losing against a low level player).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.