Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: "Naming" a card  (Read 14598 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: "Naming" a card
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 11:24:00 am »

The points is that naming that card from some other game doesn't affect your ability to do anything.
If my opponent names the Develop card from RFTG, that doesn't stop me from buying the Dominion card develop either.

True.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 11:29:58 am »
+6

If your opponent wants develop, and for some reason you also want him to have develop, and he plays contraband, and you then name develop, thinking 'this is of course in reference to develop from another board game entirely,' then you may very well officially be a real life troller. Same goes for expedition except for in that case it could feasibly matter, but only if the contraband player doesn't understand the rules.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 01:18:49 pm »
+16

The Naming of Cards is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your casual games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a card must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.

First of all, there's the name that the players use daily,
Such as Mystic, Cartographer, Bishop or Scout,
Such as Village or Pirate Ship, Pawn or Sir Bailey--
All of them sensible names to call out.

But I tell you, a card needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar and jokey and weird,
Else how can he keep up his text perpendicular,
And spread out his scrollwork, and cherish his beard?

Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Wandering Winder or Hot Air Balloon,
Such as Dukey, Dame Trasher, or things from Temporum--
Names that f.DS users will recognize soon.

But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that none but Donald X can discover--
But THE CARD ITSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.

When you notice a Sage in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:

His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:09:55 am by rspeer »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 02:32:12 pm »
+4

The points is that naming that card from some other game doesn't affect your ability to do anything.
If my opponent names the Develop card from RFTG, that doesn't stop me from buying the Dominion card develop either.

True.

I don't think this is true! I can't name the Develop on the bottom of the supply pile and still allow my opponent to buy the Develop from the top of the supply pile—cards with the same name are treated as equivalent for the purpose of "naming a card".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:23 pm »
+6

True.

I don't think this is true! I can't name the Develop on the bottom of the supply pile and still allow my opponent to buy the Develop from the top of the supply pile—cards with the same name are treated as equivalent for the purpose of "naming a card".

Hmm, I suppose you're right. Which kind of means that you really are just stating the name of a card, rather than selecting a specific card by naming it. This means that in a deck that has lots of Develops from Dominion AND lots of Develops from Race for the Galaxy, Wishing Well is even better!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 04:25:27 pm »

True.

Hmm, I suppose you're right. Which kind of means that you really are just stating the name of a card, rather than selecting a specific card by naming it. This means that in a deck that has lots of Develops from Dominion AND lots of Develops from Race for the Galaxy, Wishing Well is even better!

But those Develops are a card type, not a card name.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 04:32:22 pm »
+1

True.

I had assumed he was talking about the role selection cards.  The card type is Development, not Develop.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 05:54:29 pm »
+1

True.

I had assumed he was talking about the role selection cards.  The card type is Development, not Develop.

I assumed so too, but we can always get into if the role cards actually have "names" or not.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 10:12:29 pm »
+2

To avoid confusion in this regard, just declare a null Dominion card that has no physical representation and may not be used in any game of Dominion. Define it to have all names that are not names of other Dominion cards.  (It will, of course, lose names when new cards are published.)  Then require that a player name an actual Dominion card, including the null card, whenever any Dominion card instructs him or her to name a card.  Problem solved.

And hey, we get a new Dominion card for free that way.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 10:45:54 pm »
+1

To avoid confusion in this regard, just declare a null Dominion card that has no physical representation and may not be used in any game of Dominion. Define it to have all names that are not names of other Dominion cards.  (It will, of course, lose names when new cards are published.)  Then require that a player name an actual Dominion card, including the null card, whenever any Dominion card instructs him or her to name a card.  Problem solved.

And hey, we get a new Dominion card for free that way.

Or you could just ask the player to your right to name a card which you cannot buy this turn. My pedant-o-meter is off the charts. It doesn't say that you aren't supposed to/can't say something like..

"The second card from the top in the pile of cards in the living room of Fred's house containing cards with the names of Develop, coming from the game Dominion by Rio Grande Games."

..If he simply says this we can eliminate all this confusion.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 10:46:27 pm »
+3

You mean, like, the Ace of Spades?

I think I am going to draw the Ace of Spades on one of my blanks now.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 01:25:11 am »
+4

There already is a card that's in Dominion that can't be in your deck.  The Trash card.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 01:51:42 am »

There already is a card that's in Dominion that can't be in your deck.  The Trash card.

If the trash card counts as a card, then so do events. They're both things that are printed on cards, but not considered "cards" as far as rules go.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 02:45:50 am »
+2

The Knights randomizer card won't be available ever.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 05:34:41 am »

But do you really "buy" events or do you spend a buy to use its action? I don't think you keep the card, so therefore you did not purchase it.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 05:56:13 am »
+1

But do you really "buy" events or do you spend a buy to use its action? I don't think you keep the card, so therefore you did not purchase it.
You do buy events.  At least, one would presume that buying an event before Messenger would make Messenger not your first buy in a turn.  It's just that buying an event will result in following its instructions, where buying a card has always resulted in gaining the card (usually).

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2015, 08:27:35 am »
+2

Unless of course that card is band of misfits, in which case tis an ethereal mystery what you just gained.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:29:05 am by iguanaiguana »
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 11:52:49 am »
+1

Yes, it's something you buy.  It fully fits the Dominion definition of "buy".  It's just not something you gain.

An Event is something you can buy in your Buy phase that isn't a card. You pay your $, you use up a Buy, and something happens.

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2015, 04:29:45 pm »
+4

Now this is what I call in-depth Dominion analysis.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2015, 10:16:24 am »

Yes, it's something you buy.  It fully fits the Dominion definition of "buy".  It's just not something you gain.

An Event is something you can buy in your Buy phase that isn't a card. You pay your $, you use up a Buy, and something happens.

To be honest it was almost an actual question. Donald's preview page was tl;dr at the time.

But you don't buy the card.. you buy the Event.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:17:44 am by Flip5ide »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2015, 06:29:52 pm »

To be honest it was almost an actual question. Donald's preview page was tl;dr at the time.

But you don't buy the card.. you buy the Event.

Yes.  But you still buy it. :P
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.