Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Events  (Read 13849 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Events
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 08:20:26 pm »
+3

Wow this conversation about semantics sure is interesting let's keep it going instead of talking about the actual events ok guys

This sounds sarcastic, but you've +1'd most of the posts here on F.DS... :P

Fixed that for you. :P

False!  According to the Forum Stats, LF has upvoted 5669 posts*.  The total number of posts is 479418*, and 4476* of them belong to LF.  Subtracting his own posts, that means he has only upvoted 1.19%* of the posts.  By any reasonable definition, this does not constitute "most" of the posts on f.DS.

* numbers accurate as of one minute ago

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 08:22:14 pm »
+1

The other 98.91% are forum games.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 08:23:15 pm »

I am pretty sure that all of the Forum Games posts are discounted from the stats.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 08:32:12 pm »
+1

I am pretty sure that all of the Forum Games posts are discounted from the stats.
Oh? They're counted for top 10 boards, so I think that they count as posts. In that case, they account for 49.993%* of all posts on the forum, which... wow. Even if they aren't counted, it's 1/3 of all posts.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 12:17:02 am »

Oh? They're counted for top 10 boards, so I think that they count as posts. In that case, they account for 49.993%* of all posts on the forum, which... wow. Even if they aren't counted, it's 1/3 of all posts.

Hmm... I'm not sure then.  At the very least, the individual post counts don't include forum games (except on one day of the year).  But even if we only count total posts in Dominion General Discussion and take all of LF's post (which are not exclusive to DGD) for a generous estimate, LF would still only have upvoted less than 12% of posts.  That's still not "most"! :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 03:54:04 pm »
+1

Haggler Explosions
0$ Event
Gain a card costing less than the last card you gained this turn.  You may buy an Event.

Buys!
1$ Event
+2 Buys
(did someone already post that? If so, +1 to it)

Karnage!
11$ Event
Lose all buys.  Each player puts their deck, hand, discard pile, and play area onto their tavern mat.  Each player gains seven coppers and three estates.  Remove Karnage! from the game.

Necromancy
2$ Event
Buy any number of cards from the trash.  Look at the top three cards of your deck, trash or discard each of them.  If you trashed any cards costing 3$ or more, gain a card costing up to 5$.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 11:42:54 pm »

Necromancy seems broken for the cost of $2, and I think its abilities can be spread across multiple events. Just being able to buy from the trash is a pretty cool ability, not that it is something you would want to do often.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 12:16:50 am »

Necromancy seems broken for the cost of $2, and I think its abilities can be spread across multiple events. Just being able to buy from the trash is a pretty cool ability, not that it is something you would want to do often.

Yeah I wanted necromancy to be only buy from trash, but I wanted the event to do something in games without trashing.  I guess since it's an event and not a kingdom card it's ok if it does nothing in games without trashing?  Or maybe I should do something simpler to make it relevant.

Definitely am not attached to the second part for sure, was struggling to put something there.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 01:10:23 am »

Yeah I wanted necromancy to be only buy from trash, but I wanted the event to do something in games without trashing.  I guess since it's an event and not a kingdom card it's ok if it does nothing in games without trashing?  Or maybe I should do something simpler to make it relevant.

Definitely am not attached to the second part for sure, was struggling to put something there.

Maybe, it can still trash the top three, but gaining a $5 cost is overkill. And, just being able to trash 3 cards seems really cheap at $2. I'm pretty sure everyone will just open Necromancy/Necromancy and skip Chapel altogether. At $2, this would be the best ever trasher in the game. Trade costs $5 and forces a silver gain and only trashes 2 cards. I do like your idea though that it should trash in order to gain. Maybe if it had a Graverobber like effect, but where it also worked with nonactions for the trashing portion.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 11:28:54 am »

I wanted it to have a good reason for expensive cards to end up in the trash, like Graverobber makes certain of as well.

How about Swindling your own deck?

Necromancy
1$ Event
+1 Buy
Trash the top card of your deck and gain a card with the same cost.
You may immediately buy any number of cards from the trash.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 12:15:18 pm »

Why does it need to replace the Buy you spend on it if it's also letting you buy cards from the trash?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 12:59:49 pm »

Because otherwise in a game with no trashing and no buys it is impossible to justify it unless you only have 1$ to spend.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 01:01:25 pm »
+1

I like the idea of only buying cards from the trash when you buy from trash though.

Necromancy
1$ Event
Trash the top card of your deck and gain a card of equal cost.
Buy any number of cards from the trash, or buy one card from the supply.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 03:07:48 pm »

You could do:

Necromancy
$2
Event
Trash a card from the supply. You may buy a card from the trash.

Actually, I could see a supply Trasher work fairly well as an Event.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 03:21:19 pm »

You could do:

Necromancy
$2
Event

Thinking about it more, that doesn't have too much utility. Maybe...

Necromancy:
$1
Event
You may buy cards from the trash at $2 less than their normal cost (but no less that 0). During clean up, trash a card from the supply.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 07:49:26 pm »

You could do:

Necromancy
$2
Event

Necromancy:
$1
Event
You may buy cards from the trash at $2 less than their normal cost (but no less that 0). During clean up, trash a card from the supply.

Are you intending this to give you the buys you need? Otherwise it does almost nothing if you can't get +buy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2015, 08:00:46 pm »

You could do:

Necromancy
$2
Event

Necromancy:
$1
Event

Are you intending this to give you the buys you need? Otherwise it does almost nothing if you can't get +buy.

I think it's comparable to Herald.  Herald tells you to play an action card, and that doesn't cost you an action.  This tells you to buy a card, so presumably that shouldn't cost you a buy.  Though I guess it says "cards" plural, so you can buy as many as you want without spending buys?

Black Market is a better example, actually.  Black Market tells you to buy a card, and that doesn't cost a buy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 08:04:50 pm »
+1

You could do:

Necromancy
$2
Event

Necromancy:
$1
Event

I think it's comparable to Herald.  Herald tells you to play an action card, and that doesn't cost you an action.  This tells you to buy a card, so presumably that shouldn't cost you a buy.  Though I guess it says "cards" plural, so you can buy as many as you want without spending buys?

Black Market is a better example, actually.  Black Market tells you to buy a card, and that doesn't cost a buy.

"You may buy a card" is comparable to herald, which is what the first one said. But "you may buy cards" is different. It does sort of sound like it gives unlimited buys, but it also equally could be interpreted as just saying that your buys can be used on the trash.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2015, 12:19:21 am »
+2

If it's just giving your permission to use your buys a different way, then buying it once lets you buy from trash for the rest of the game, as written.  It seems like buying it once triggers a cleanup trashing each cleanup for the rest of the game too, as written.

I don't think trashing cards form the supply on the same event that lets you buy from the trash is a good idea.  It will either set things up to where you trash something so that you can buy it later, but then your opponent gets first chance to actually buy it, so then you stop doing that and never touch it, OR, if designed in a way that lets you use it immediately, lets you trash stuff from the supply and then immediately buy it from the trash which is the same as buying it from the supply in all ways but the name.

My design is kind of going for the idea that if buying from the trash was the only or most convenient way of getting tons of +buys, then people might use it. 

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2015, 04:53:34 am »

Absolution
$2
Event
+Buy
Name a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal the named card. Trash that card. Discard the rest of the revealed cards.

What do you think?
(Alternate name; Divine Assistance)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2015, 06:53:52 am »
+1

Wow this conversation about semantics sure is interesting let's keep it going instead of talking about the actual events ok guys

This sounds sarcastic, but you've +1'd most of the posts here... :P

There are people who check who upvotes other people's posts? Am i egoistic if i only do that to my own posts?

Also:

Prophecy, Event, $6
Put your Prophecy token on an Action card pile in the supply. When another player plays a card from a pile with your Prophecy token on it, you get +1 Card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2015, 07:13:34 am »
+2

There are people who check who upvotes other people's posts?

Not always, but sometimes I do.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2015, 09:55:49 am »
+1

Absolution
$2
Event
+Buy
Name a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal the named card. Trash that card. Discard the rest of the revealed cards.

What do you think?
(Alternate name; Divine Assistance)

Well I'm guessing that the right opening most of the time is to use your $4 turn to trash 2 Estates. So it might need to cost $3. But I like it.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 07:30:58 am »

Necromancy looks pretty nice according to me, but it may bring madness to games where provinces got trashed through random attacks (swindlers, saboteurs, bridged rogues/knights...)
I like absolution too, but I think we can easily turn a trashing card into an event.

Remodel-ish event
$3
Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a non-victory card costing up to $2 more.
EDIT : well, this is broken in early game. I already imagine the comments : "I'd open twice with this". But hey, you eventually gain $4 cards to start with ($3 cards if playing with shelters), and you filter more quickly. So it ... boosts the early game.

(well, I added the "non-victory" clause otherwise it'd be like Farmland)

Early Altar-ish event
$3
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $4.
EDIT : nevermind, that's the same as above.
Onto funnier (or not) ideas : (most of these are good to me)

Planification
$4
Gain 1 coin token ; +1 VP token.
(too bad it uses two other expansions at once)

Panorama
$3
Set a victory card aside from your hand. Return it to your deck when the game ends. At the end of the game, cards you set aside at least 1 copy of are worth +1 VP.

Bonanza
$4
Once per game : +2 buys, cards cost -$2 until the end of this buy phase, not less than 0. (use some unmarked token)

Treaty
$1
Once per turn : +1 buy. If you buy only victory cards this turn and buy at least one, then draw 1 card after this phase.

Nightwatch (sorry for the name... and the fact I copied a card)
$2
Until the end of your next turn, whenever you gain a card, you may trash it or put it on top of your deck.
At start of your next turn, if you have 4 cards or less, draw until you have 5 cards in hand.
(use same tokens as with Bonanza)
EDIT : removed +1 buy, otherwise it would be almost better than an event that gives you +2 buys for $2 whose I shamefully forgot name

Exploration
$8
You may trash a victory card from your hand. Gain a gold, putting it on top of your deck.
(another idea I brought up from an old contest)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:19:35 am by ChocophileBenj »
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2015, 04:08:28 pm »

Did Donald ever say anything about a VP token?  Like:

VP Event - $6?
Move your VP token to a card.  Copies of that card are worth 1 VP for you.

Also, I've been thinking there could be some really cool ideas you could do by putting the tokens on "bad" cards.  Something like:

Cheap Pathfinding - $3
Name three cards.  The player to your left moves your +1 Card token to an action supply pile whose top card you did not name.

I'm sure there's a better way to word that.  I could see there being cases where something like that forces you to use cards that otherwise don't see much use.  If it's just not good enough that way, you could also reverse it, like "The player to your left names x cards.  Move your +1 Card token to an action supply pile whose top card was not named."  You could also have them just give a huge boost to the worst card in the kingdom, like:

Cantripifier - $5
The player to your left moves your +1 Card and +1 Action token to an action supply pile.

On some boards you won't care about it (you probably don't want to play Thief a lot of the time even if it's a cantrip, or maybe you'd rather move them to the piles you want with Teacher/Pathfinding/Lost Arts), but I imagine a lot of the time it makes it worthwhile to go for cards like Scout or Transmute.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.