Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Visual Studio 2010  (Read 1701 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Visual Studio 2010
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:55:27 pm »

Does anyone actually use this program?  It's a real pain.

But anyway, I need to add some locations to my include and library paths. You can do this for each project, but I would like to do it in a way that applies to every project.  You would think that you could Google this issue and follow some instructions, but apparently everyone else has some magical version of VS2010 that has these things that mine simply does not, so no instructions that I have been able to find can actually be followed.

Anyway, there exists a file, Users/(username)/AppData/Local/Microsoft/MSBuild/v4.0/Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.users.props, and this is an XML file that can be edited and will allegedly apply to all projects.  There is a node

<IncludePath>

which I suppose actually sets the include path, but this is the only node that is there, and I can't find any information on how to edit the file otherwise.  For example, is library path just

<LibraryPath>

?  Also, in the project properties window in VS2010 itself, there is VC++ Directories, where you can add library, include directories, etc., and there is also "Additional Include Directories" under C/C++ -> General.  What's the difference between adding "Additional Include Directories" and simply appending "Include Directories" under VC++ Directories?

Will this file automatically apply to new projects, or is there something you have to set up? 

Also, isn't adding your own header files like, kind of a very standard thing to do in C++?  I'm not a programmer, but from the little I've done it seems like something you basically always want to do.  Why is it such a challenge?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Studio 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:43:08 pm »

Does this help you? https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a494abb8-3561-4ebe-9eb0-6f644a679862/visual-studio-2010-professional-how-to-add-include-directory-for-all-projects?forum=vcgeneral

Those are the instructions I kept on finding all over the place.. the problem is my GUI interface doesn't align with what they describe, so I have no idea how to access it.  But editing through the GUI should just write to this file, so I should be able to skip it all and just edit the file directly.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:51:08 pm »

Have you seen this?

http://www.curlybrace.com/words/2012/12/17/setting-global-c-include-paths-in-visual-studio-2012-and-2011-and-2010/

Sorry I am not much help. I recall doing what you're trying to do back in 2010 but forgot most of it by now.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:07:25 pm »

Yeah, the problem is my "Properties" or "Properties Manager" window doesn't look anything like that.  I can bring up the Property Pages window for any given project, but I have zero idea how to do it for the Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.User file, and I can't get this file to show up anywhere like what is depicted in these instructions.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:33:01 am »

Switch to 2012? I'm sure I've used 2010 at some point; I've probably used every version there is, in fact. But unfortunately the type of stuff you're talking about is stuff I've never had to deal with that I can think of... sorry I couldn't actually be of any help. I'm just hear because people are talking about Visual Studio, which is something I use extensively.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.