Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Male and female cards (again)  (Read 45190 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
Re: Male and female cards (again)
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2019, 01:17:11 am »

Not so sure about the headdress. I assumed it was a coif with a pillbox hat or a hat with a wide band. Something like this picture of Dante (who I'm pretty sure is male!)
https://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/a/andrea/castagno/2_famous/7dante.html

Okay, I concede that it's not as straight-forward as I thought. But I still don't think that the kind of bag hat that Dante is wearing is the same as on Market. To me it looks like the Market person is wearing a fillet, which was typically worn by women.
But if Dominion's gender distribution is not historically accurate, why should we assume that its fashion is?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2019, 01:18:10 am »

While you're identifying headdresses, what about the headdress in Donate?  Or is that her hair?

CaptainTheo

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2019, 10:39:32 pm »

Thanks for the clarification on Bard, Tormentor, and Devil's Workshop. I got Tormentor wrong as I thought what are breasts must be some sort of plate armour, and the figure's expression, outfit and height looked masculine. Bard (like Patrol) looks much more female when zoomed in, particularly the hands and rings, though my friend certainly thought it was a man in the picture, probably due to the outfit and I find it much more amusing to think of this one as an androgynous chap than a woman.

PS I always assumed Flag Bearer as male though zooming right in cannot be 100% certain. Although 99% certain with, for one, no breasts.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:53:39 pm by CaptainTheo »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2019, 07:45:11 am »
+2

The artist's intent is one thing, but honestly, if this is about visibility, I'm not sure we should count cards where the gender is not visible. I know now that Tormentor is a woman, but I wouldn't have without this thread.

This is actually a situation where other languages can make clear Tormentor is female by choosing the appropriate name. I'll suggest to take care of this in future German editions.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2019, 09:31:05 am »

Upon closer inspection of Bard, I think I assumed it was male because the nose looks very masculine, at least to me.

Tormentor just has bad artwork overall and it's impossible to tell what's actually going on in it. That very uncircular wheel always makes me cringe.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2019, 12:39:44 pm »

The artist's intent is one thing, but honestly, if this is about visibility, I'm not sure we should count cards where the gender is not visible. I know now that Tormentor is a woman, but I wouldn't have without this thread.

Fair point. Of course to me Tormentor seemed like a woman when I studied it, but then again, so did Devil's Workshop. But in any case I think I'll just go with what is known here.

I just changed Devil's Workshop from female to male and updated the latest two lists.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.