Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: About to resign, then this happens.  (Read 2282 times)

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
About to resign, then this happens.
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:06:30 am »
+1

Was about to resign turn 9, decided to wait it out for another moment or two, then this happens. Opponent was relying on me to buy the rest of the stuff while he cannibalized his deck.. wasn't gonna happen. (Well, I guess it did, now that I think about it.)

62VP in the last 3 turns

Code: [Select]
Pearl Diver, Bishop, Horse Traders, Quarry, Graverobber, Stables, Wharf, Hunting Grounds, Nobles, King's Court
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: About to resign, then this happens.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:03 am »

Wow this looks like a glorious King's-Court-Engine-Wharf-Quarry-trash-stuff-with-Bishop-gain-it-back-with-Graverobber game, unless your opponent pile-drives the Provinces with a megaturn or two or something.  Would love to try it out some time.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:27:55 am »

It's way too early for Provinces and Nobles on turn 8. Just get more King's Courts and Wharves instead.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:01:48 am »

It's way too early for Provinces and Nobles on turn 8. Just get more King's Courts and Wharves instead.

It's hard to bring myself to buy more non-coin-bearing cards when I had 2 buys , 9 coins, and all the 5's were $1
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:03:28 am »
+10

It's hard to bring myself to buy more non-coin-bearing cards when I had 2 buys , 9 coins, and all the 5's were $1

That's why you need the KCs and Wharves so you can have more buys next time you have 9 coins and all the 5s are $1.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:53:59 pm »

That's why you need the KCs and Wharves so you can have more buys next time you have 9 coins and all the 5s are $1.

Oh wow good point. Didn't even think of that.

Venescas

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 06:26:57 pm »

Yeah, Provinces are terrible on this board, or at least getting them one at a time. Either KC+Graverobber, KC+Bishop, or KC+Graverobber+Bishop engine is going to destroy here.

Your opponent opened Bishop+Silver; I think that's wrong. Should be Quarry+Silver to pick up Wharves and KC's. Hunting Grounds is unnecessary. Could pick up Stables for actions and just ignore Nobles here. $3 or less spent on Pearl Divers. Get Bishops and/or Graverobbers mid-late game to either clean out Provinces in one fell swoop, or to churn out many points per turn.

The tide definitely turned when your opponent prioritized points over building; he just ran out of economy. He tried gaining a Horse Traders, but it was way too late.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 08:32:58 am »
+2

Opponent ended the game with 55 points. I totally get his strategy. Well done, opponent.

Yeah and I guess good job winning the game too, but who really won here?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.