Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: French Preview : Pistage / Quête  (Read 33369 times)

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
Re: French Preview : Pistage / Quête
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2015, 03:11:28 pm »

French Editor continue his own preview for french player and show an event with a big translation mistake :
For the "Ferry" Event, the translation give by the french editor is : "Placez votre jeton "-2" sur une pile de cartes Actions de la réserve (désormais, pendant vos tours, les cartes de cette pile vous coûtent 2 de moins, mais jamais moins que 0)".

If I translate again this sentence in english it means : "Move your "-2" token to an action supplu pile (cards from that pile cost for you 2 less on your turns, but not less than 0)"

This litte "for you" ("vous" in french) added in the sentence change the rule of this event.

You can see the card here : http://www.ystari.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-2015-04-22-a%CC%80-12.29.41.png
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:24:33 pm by Emeric »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2015, 03:43:45 pm »

That's a big translation mistake.

for you
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2015, 06:36:55 pm »

What is the French title for Duplicate btw?  Is it Dupliquer? Or a noun? 
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2015, 06:44:31 pm »

French Editor continue his own preview for french player and show an event with a big translation mistake :
For the "Ferry" Event, the translation give by the french editor is : "Placez votre jeton "-2" sur une pile de cartes Actions de la réserve (désormais, pendant vos tours, les cartes de cette pile vous coûtent 2 de moins, mais jamais moins que 0)".

If I translate again this sentence in english it means : "Move your "-2" token to an action supplu pile (cards from that pile cost for you 2 less on your turns, but not less than 0)"

This litte "for you" ("vous" in french) added in the sentence change the rule of this event.

You can see the card here : http://www.ystari.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-2015-04-22-a%CC%80-12.29.41.png

Well it will lead to some people asking questions that are hopefully clarified in the FAQ, but it's really just more ambiguous/confusing than flat-out wrong. It doesn't say "your cards", it says "for you"... and "for you" is a meaningless and undefined concept in Dominion. When I play Swinder with the token on Swindler, my opponent's Mountebank costs $3, and the French wording doesn't contradict. It's just that it's "for me" that his Mountebank costs $3. So I replace it with a $3, because it costs $3 "for me."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2015, 06:50:12 pm »

Well it will lead to some people asking questions that are hopefully clarified in the FAQ, but it's really just more ambiguous/confusing than flat-out wrong. It doesn't say "your cards", it says "for you"... and "for you" is a meaningless and undefined concept in Dominion. When I play Swinder with the token on Swindler, my opponent's Mountebank costs $3, and the French wording doesn't contradict. It's just that it's "for me" that his Mountebank costs $3. So I replace it with a $3, because it costs $3 "for me."

In this setup, if you play Saboteur instead of Swindler and hit Mountebank, your opponent chooses a replacement.  So if Mountebank is only $3 for you, that means it is $5 for your opponent and she could choose Silver as the replacement?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2015, 07:42:40 pm »

As written, what is implied is that cards from that pile cost 2$ less when you buy them.

So, hopefully the FAQ clarifies it. It's still going to cause issues when you get that event out with players that haven't read the rulebook. Ugh.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2015, 03:47:29 am »

In this setup, if you play Saboteur instead of Swindler and hit Mountebank, your opponent chooses a replacement.  So if Mountebank is only $3 for you, that means it is $5 for your opponent and she could choose Silver as the replacement?

What if you play Saboteur and she reveals a Swindler? Does it cost $3 or more? What if you play Swindler and she reveals a Cellar? Does she gain a Curse? It's more than just ambigous/confusing.

Edit: Also, can't you translate it as "they cost you", too? That shifts the emphasis to "when you try to buy or gain them".
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:54:02 am by Asper »

Emeric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2015, 08:15:47 am »

The French translator maintains that his version is correct (here in french http://www.trictrac.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=141913&p=2261830#p2261496). He explains that he even asked Donald X. validate that tokens are applicable only to player who played it and I think he hurt interpret the response of Donald X.

It is sad to know before the French version release that there is an error in it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2015, 01:24:30 pm »

Well... "Vouz" can be translated to "y'all", can't it? Probably inconsistent, though.

Emeric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2015, 09:56:47 am »

French editor just write on his blog that Adventure will arrive in october in France.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2015, 01:59:19 pm »

I find it hilarious that Reserve cards are called "Tavern" cards in French.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2015, 09:21:28 pm »
+1

I find it hilarious that Reserve cards are called "Tavern" cards in French.

I find it sensible! I call the Tavern mat the Reserve mat, because why in the world is it the Tavern mat anyway. It just needs one thing.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »

I've been doing some thinking, and this Event is hella strong in Bm decks with Courtyard and Gear. Insta-Gold as quick as T3, and you can top deck/set-aside your best economy card (like more Gold) even!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.