Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: WW disconnecting  (Read 6007 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
WW disconnecting
« on: April 07, 2015, 11:59:15 pm »
+4

B1: WW 4 - 2 hdu88

Edit: Actually, okay. So there was a game I DC'ed at the end of, where I was pretty behind. Looked over the log, saw he had some junk. Felt I was maybe 10, maybe 20% to win - he needs to have a dud, then I need some moderate luck. This is my thought. Talk to him a little, he says he feels he has "a decent chance of stalling" based on what he'd discarded the previous turn. But he also wasn't entirely sure what was in his deck. Anyway, it's late and I don't want to figure it out so hard, so we just played it over. But looking at it now, it seems pretty clear to me that he has a line which either guarantees he won't stall out this turn (or he gets the vast majority of a turn anyway), or there might be one way I can exactly stack his deck where he duds out.
I won the makeup game (well, whichever one you want to count).
So, I haven't talked to him about this yet, but I'd actually just like to make this 3-3, because on further analysis, it's way too unlikely he doesn't win there.

When I wake up in the morning, I will try to get the exact chances. Brain not really functioning now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:13:11 am by WanderingWinder »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: WW disconnecting
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:21:13 am »
+1

Edit: Actually, okay. So there was a game I DC'ed at the end of, where I was pretty behind. Looked over the log, saw he had some junk. Felt I was maybe 10, maybe 20% to win - he needs to have a dud, then I need some moderate luck. This is my thought. Talk to him a little, he says he feels he has "a decent chance of stalling" based on what he'd discarded the previous turn. But he also wasn't entirely sure what was in his deck. Anyway, it's late and I don't want to figure it out so hard, so we just played it over. But looking at it now, it seems pretty clear to me that he has a line which either guarantees he won't stall out this turn (or he gets the vast majority of a turn anyway), or there might be one way I can exactly stack his deck where he duds out.
So, I haven't talked to him about this yet, but I'd actually just like to make this 3-3, because on further analysis, it's way too unlikely he doesn't win there.

When I wake up in the morning, I will try to get the exact chances. Brain not really functioning now.

There's a difference between assessing your chances during/right after the game and assessing your chances afterward after a chance to analyze/think. If he didn't see that path in the moment, then he shouldn't be given credit for playing it when he didn't. I can't tell you how many times I've clicked something and a half of a second later realized something better I could do.

If you both agreed then to play another game and have that one count, then I'd say you should count that game, but I'm in that division and I'm certainly not the division moderator, so it isn't up to me.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:31 am »
+1

There's a difference between assessing your chances during/right after the game and assessing your chances afterward after a chance to analyze/think. If he didn't see that path in the moment, then he shouldn't be given credit for playing it when he didn't. I can't tell you how many times I've clicked something and a half of a second later realized something better I could do.

If you both agreed then to play another game and have that one count, then I'd say you should count that game, but I'm in that division and I'm certainly not the division moderator, so it isn't up to me.

I appreciate this post. There were those in my stream chat last night who were very unkind about this.

Thing is, everyone felt he was probably winning. It was just a question of how certain that win was. I think your point about outside analysis vs in-the-game is pretty spot-on. But that also cuts both ways - if we can't assume he's going to play perfectly, we can't assume I would either - and for my part anyway, after looking at some analysis, I think my impressions of what I needed to do were actually off, and that would make things really hard for me. In the game in question, the piles are actually low enough (rats gone, 1 fortress left, 2 bishop left, 3 curse left) that I can't actually set up a golden deck. My main advantage in the game is that my deck is quite thin (I have only 3 bishop, 1 silver as Stop, he has 5 bishop, 2 silver, 2 curse). The problem is, with the piles as low as they are, I can't set up the golden deck, which means I can't capitalize on that advantage as much as I would have hoped at the time. This means I actually need to win on a pretty short-term basis. I have two, maybe three (if I am very lucky, and probably he needs to misplay a small but reasonable amount for the third) turns for him to dud out, and then I need to also be able to engineer the pileout before his extra ability to play bishops (he can indeed go golden) win him the game. He already has it guaranteed to not dud this turn, and any natural kind of play is going to be enough to stave me off. So I think I'm mostly down to him needing to dud the turn after that. He has 6 Fortress, a witch, 2 silver, 5 bishop, 2 curse. I think I need him to not draw 0-1 fortresses, depending on how many bishop points he gets. His chances for doing that badly depend on what he trashes with bishop this coming turn. But a little quick calculation shows that it's, I think I am getting this right now, somewhere between like 1 point something percent and 7 point something percent.

My gut feeling at the time was 10-20%. Now my best guess (given that I think it's more likely I would make a significant misplay than he did) is closer to 2%. 20% is enough I would want to play it over. 2 is not. And when we were playing the next game last night, I don't know about his feeling, but mine anyway was not "I really think this game is unclear, I think we should play it over," it was more "I don't want to sit and figure out how likely it is that I am just dead here, let's play another and worry about this issue later".

Well, I've worried about it later now, and I don't think my chances were good enough.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 09:38:34 am »
+4

Man, I also DCed in a league match last night. Luckily it was unclear which of us, if any were ahead, and my opponent won the replay, so I don't feel too bad about it... but hearing about WW's scenario makes me even moreso want goko to implement reconnect. I was out for a minute, tops.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:25:57 am »
+2

Anything wrong with 3.5-2.5? You played 7 games and won 4, and well 4/7 ≈ 3.5/6.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 11:48:19 am »
+1

Anything wrong with 3.5-2.5? You played 7 games and won 4, and well 4/7 ≈ 3.5/6.

I thought about this for a while last night, but really I think that is too advantageous to me. If I were something like the 20%, I think that would be a pretty reasonable thing. But as it is, I think it's way too close to him just having won that game, in which case this game would never have happened, and shouldn't really be factored into the calculation.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 12:01:26 pm »
+9

I will discuss this matter with WanderingWinder, Tao Chen and the other league organizers through PMs before discussing it further on the forum.
Join the Dominion League!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 07:20:35 am »
+3

I will discuss this matter with WanderingWinder, Tao Chen and the other league organizers through PMs before discussing it further on the forum.

The whole thing was handled disturbingly unprofessionally. I do want to say that hdu88 himself has been nothing but a perfect gentleman, moreso than one could expect, so kudos to him.

-Stef-

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 07:51:19 am »

The whole thing was handled disturbingly unprofessionally. I do want to say that hdu88 himself has been nothing but a perfect gentleman, moreso than one could expect, so kudos to him.

I really don't know what you're trying to accomplish here. If you have more to say about it to me, please do PM me. I still think nothing good can come from dragging this out on the forum, but if a lot of people are interested in all the ins and outs about this maybe we have to.

In the meanwhile we will come up with some guidelines in the league rules to handle future disconnects more smoothly.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 08:45:54 am »
+1

I really don't know what you're trying to accomplish here. If you have more to say about it to me, please do PM me. I still think nothing good can come from dragging this out on the forum, but if a lot of people are interested in all the ins and outs about this maybe we have to.

In the meanwhile we will come up with some guidelines in the league rules to handle future disconnects more smoothly.
This post is emblematic of the whole problem. Quite apart from not wanting to subject myself to you saying more disrespectful and nasty things to me in private, a PM doesn't solve anything. PMs are private, and when talking about how the league is run, that should be done in public. The league is not any one person's personal pet. It is for the benefit of the community. Discussions about how it should be run should be had in public, not in closed back-rooms. Decisions shouldn't be made by fiat.

Apart from a disconnect happening itself, the only thing that hasn't really been smooth about this is your involvement. There was no reason for you not to simply accept the 3-3 result. Quite frankly, unless hdu88 objected, there was no reason for you not to accept the 4-2 result. But the bigger problem is, it shouldn't be up to YOU, or any one person, to accept it. You don't have the authority. Really, you don't have much any authority at all, but overturning the mutual agreement of the players involved would be truly extraordinary.

Beyond this, you're being deceptive. Now, I don't want to claim you are doing so purposefully, because I certainly don't know that - this is another reason that transparency is necessary. But your post as quoted said that you would discuss the matter further with us. I mean, first of all, these discussions should be public. But beyond that, it wasn't true. I didn't get any more communication from you until you said it was 3-3 in a rather insulting PM. I have no idea what you said to anyone else before that - really, I don't know that you didn't just sit back, say nothing to anyone, and post that a few days later; I don't really think that's the case, but again, transparency is necessary. But the impression you give is that there was some discussion between a big group of people and we all came to some kind of a consensus. Yet this didn't happen at all.

And on top of this, you're capricious. You made a big fuss about this. There was another disconnection yesterday, you made no comment at all on it, just accepted it. Which is fine, that's how it should be. But it's not consistent. What's the difference? Could be you have some kind of vendetta against me. Could be that in that case, the result was more favorable to you. I think most likely is that you simply personally agreed with their decision more. But it's a problem that someone can make those other arguments, and anyway your personal whims and tastes shouldn't really have a big substantive effect on how things are run.

tl;dr be more transparent and don't act like you have unitary power.

-Stef-

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 09:49:30 am »
+8

If you really want my opinion on the forum, here it is.

In your game with Tao Chen you disconnected in a game state that gives you about 2% chance to win. At this point the only reasonable thing to do is resign. In the heat of the moment you overestimated your chances to 10%-20%. This can happen. If I disconnect on 10-20% I would still resign but I can understand that maybe you want something that is slightly better then just resigning. Your opponent also clearly thought he was ahead but you kept reciting points why you maybe weren't losing. In doing so you ignored the opinion of all the players in the chat. Then you suggested replaying this game, thus giving yourself 50% chance to win it. This I considered and still do consider very unsportsmanlike. So much that it completely baffled me. The main reason I didn't want to drag this out on the forum is because I didn't want to publicly shame you for it. The fact that you suggested a 3-3 yourself a day later really helped.

I don't know where you thought I made too much of a fuzz about this. Sportsmanlike behavior and fun are both very important things to me for the league. I really don't like it when a public figure in the community breaks it this badly. Simply letting it pass unnoticed was never an option for me. Dragging it out like this is mostly on your own account.

Also, you clearly have misunderstood something about how the league is run. The league organization actually does get to decide. If Adam, Andrew and I tomorrow decide that all players whose first name starts with an A or and S get 5 free points every season, then that's what it's going to be. And sure people can decide they don't like that rule and try to talk some sense into us. If someone has something sensible to suggest I usually do listen - at least I like to think so. But in the end I organize the league to the best of my ability, and then it's up to everybody else do decide if they want to be part of it.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 10:08:02 am »
+4

Ignorant letterists

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »
+1

I
If you really want my opinion on the forum, here it is.

In your game with Tao Chen you disconnected in a game state that gives you about 2% chance to win.
First of all, his screen name is now hdu88 everywhere, so I would imagine he'd prefer if you called him that, but that's really an aside.
What actually happened is a matter of public knowledge. Anyone can go look at the stream. They don't have to take my word for it, they don't have to take your word for it. They can look themselves.
At this point the only reasonable thing to do is resign.
I actually think that's rather debatable, but not really a point I'm interested in debating here.
In the heat of the moment you overestimated your chances to 10%-20%. This can happen. If I disconnect on 10-20% I would still resign
This is just so clearly untrue. You can be behind this much turn 5, you wouldn't want to resign. There is so much game to play out! It's about playing the game, you need to be able to convert that advantage. I've definitely won games where I should have been further behind than this because my opponent screwed up. Is it fair to assume he will? Of course not. But it's not really fair to necessarily assume he won't.
but I can understand that maybe you want something that is slightly better then just resigning. Your opponent also clearly thought he was ahead
which isn't in dispute at any time, nor was it ever. Repeating it implies that I contested that, which I did not. This is slanderous by implication.
but you kept reciting points why you maybe weren't losing.
This is simply not true. This clearly, BLATANTLY false. Here's the transcript:

Code: [Select]
Wandering Winder: lost internet :(
hdu88: :(
hdu88: it feels like i had that game, but i'm not sure how many points you could gain per turn
Wandering Winder: not that many, but you still had some junk in your deck?
hdu88: i had a curse and a silver i think
hdu88: possibly a copper, i don't remember
Wandering Winder: 2 curses
Wandering Winder: 2 silvers
hdu88: ah
hdu88: yeah, not sure who would win then
Wandering Winder: I am probably losing, but I don't think it's totally certain
Wandering Winder: trying to check the log
Wandering Winder: thing is, I need you to stall out a turn
Wandering Winder: and then I think I have very good chances
Wandering Winder: you are a favorite to not stall
Wandering Winder: but it isn't impossible
hdu88: I actually have a decent chance of stalling given what I discarded

And it was at that point I stopped digging into the log and suggested a replay, given that he himself had claimed a decent chance of stalling. It was after checking the log later and seeing that this thought of his was actually wrong, and he very clearly wasn't stalling this turn, and very likely not stalling the next, that I just gave up the game. I think it's very clear here that I didn't keep reciting reasons why I didn't think I was losing. I in fact say that I am probably losing. I give one reason I think I might not be absolutely dead lost (he has some junk) then clarify the facts as to the composition of his deck (since I had the log open by then and he presumably did not). And I give a reason why I am probably losing (I *need* him to stall), and claim that while it isn't impossible (this is true, though not to the extent I thought it was at the time, as I hadn't worked out what was left in his shuffle or even his hand yet), I also state very clearly that he is a favorite to not stall. I'm clearly not trying to claim I am not in a bad spot, only that I am not dead lost, not as lost as I would be to resign. Since I wouldn't resign that game, I think it is rather brutish to try to force me into resigning it - yet if he felt certain enough, I probably would have (to avoid the hassle if anything). Certainly it didn't actually take much more time at the log for me to come to that conclusion hey.

In doing so you ignored the opinion of all the players in the chat.
Of course I did! This is not a match between me, hdu88, and the players in my chat. Those players are not involved. Their opinions are entirely irrelevant. They do not know how we would play. And they aren't involved in the match - they have no say. Perhaps the bigger point is that YOU WERE THE ONLY PLAYER IN MY CHAT WHO OFFERED AN OPINION DURING THIS PERIOD (yes, Mic offered one later, but by then I had already minimized chat and moved on), so essentially you are saying "BUT YOU IGNORED MY OPINION HERE". Yes, yes I did. You aren't the center of the universe.
Then you suggested replaying this game, thus giving yourself 50% chance to win it. This I considered and still do consider very unsportsmanlike.
I heartily disagree. I think the way to go really is to have the default position be to replay the game unless one player or other offered to resign (or there is a forced win). Obviously there is no perfect solution. Actually awarding the game, if not entirely won, to any player, definitively deprives the other of some win equity. Even me taking that 3-3 here is depriving my of my ~2%, and hey that's not nothing. It isn't worth the hassle, I agree. But in fact this is one of the most clear cases where I can just resign (and after realizing There is no rule to contradict it in league rules - I have read them, and I actually went and re-read them. There was nothing. In this case, I don't see how trying to come up with a solution with my opponent is unsportsmanlike - in fact, it seems the only option left open to me. Consulting with a third party when he was not would seem to me to be less fair. And I especially don't see how you think it unsportsmanlike when I am clearly not just trying to rip an advantage - it was pretty quickly after the match ended (less than 15 minutes between the post time and last edit of the OP here) that I asked to just lose the game. I actually don't think that is anything but sportsmanlike behaviour, and again, barring hdu88's objection, I actually think I would have been within my rights to claim 4-2. I don't want to do that, after coming to the conclusion that I was so close to dead lost, because I don't think it is actually fair to him. But in general, having the players agree must always be the best and most fair way of resolving anything, and other measures must ONLY be taken if there is unresolved disagreement between the two.

So much that it completely baffled me. The main reason I didn't want to drag this out on the forum is because I didn't want to publicly shame you for it. The fact that you suggested a 3-3 yourself a day later really helped.
Again, your facts are simply wrong here, unless you want to claim that it's somehow important that midnight Eastern Daylight time was crossed, despite neither relevant person living in that time zone (yet only the forum server). It was like 15 minutes after the match ended, not "a day later".

I don't know where you thought I made too much of a fuzz about this.
If by "fuzz" you mean "fuss", as I am assuming you do:

"this feels very wrong to me"
"I guess I'll think about it for a while before doing anywhting [sic]"
"I don't really feel like continuing to listen to him now so good night"
"I have a lot more respect for people who make mistakes and correct them then for those that "are never wrong"" (implying that I claim I am never wrong, which I have never done (okay, I have done so in very obvious jest before, usually after making a very clearly wrong statement); but indeed, you are the one who comes much closer to claiming your certitude and correctness)
"I was very pissed off about this entire affair"

^^Those

Sportsmanlike behavior and fun are both very important things to me for the league. I really don't like it when a public figure in the community breaks it this badly. Simply letting it pass unnoticed was never an option for me. Dragging it out like this is mostly on your own account.

Also, you clearly have misunderstood something about how the league is run. The league organization actually does get to decide.

If Adam, Andrew and I tomorrow decide that all players whose first name starts with an A or and S get 5 free points every season, then that's what it's going to be.
Yeah, I definitely resign from your league IMMEDIATELY. That's ridiculous.

And sure people can decide they don't like that rule and try to talk some sense into us. If someone has something sensible to suggest I usually do listen - at least I like to think so. But in the end I organize the league to the best of my ability, and then it's up to everybody else do decide if they want to be part of it.

The big point here is that none of that stuff is in the rules. Indeed, there's nothing to say that you three have any special power at all, except to make and edit posts, and even that isn't really written anywhere. The league started with a discussion of rules with voting on key issues. I guess after that you just preferred to rule by fiat.

I don't like rule by fiat.

If you're wondering, yes, this is the cleaned up version. I could have said many more unkind things very easily.

(Edited to clean-up a mis-matched quote block issue)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:52:21 pm by WanderingWinder »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 06:40:49 pm »
+24

In the Forum Games community, our only rule is that you must interpret other people's actions in the most favorable light possible. As someone who watched WW's match with hdu88 and read through this thread, I would say this.

I agree with WW, hdu88, and Stef--the only important parties--that the game should be counted as a win for hdu88 and the match as 3-3. This is the main issue, so the fact that there's no disagreement about it probably means it shouldn't be too tough to move past this, whatever this is.

I agree with Stef that resignation was the only reasonable course for WW, given how far behind he was. I don't believe that WW was malicious or unsportsmanlike in his desire to re-do the game, he was simply misinformed about how far behind he was. I also don't believe that there should be some drawn out back-and-forth of personal accusations in public. I can't see what purpose the serves, since the main issue is no longer in dispute and everything else can and should be chalked up to misunderstanding and (quickly-remedied) error.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 09:36:46 am »
+7

I don't play in the league, haven't watched the stream, and don't know any more about the situation than what I read here, so I am unconcerned about the actual outcome of the situation.

I'm writing this post primarily as a member of the community that has been through a forum game situation that ruffled some feathers and sparked a great deal of controversy and discussion.  At least one similar situation has occurred since.  That being said, my thoughts here are derived from my professional perspective - from a lifetime in QA dealing with industry rules,  regulations and accreditations, and as a former sports official who has refereed two national championships for the sport I was involved in.  I have a fair bit of exposure to dealing with sticky situations under difficult circumstances. 

These are my takeaways:

1) Transparency in the decision making process is always a good thing.  There is an unlimited number of questions that can arise around any result that comes from a process held behind closed doors, and the unease alone that comes from that can foster ill-will in perpetuity.

2) Rules should be codified to the greatest extent possible (knowing that not all edge cases can be foreseen).  The general view of rules is that they are there to keep the playing field level for all participants.  I believe they serve at least one additional purpose: to allow potential players to decide whether to participate at all.

Participants should know in advance how disputes will be settled.  Many leagues/teams/tournaments/organizations are run by one person who has absolute authority, but everyone should know that up front because it's stated in the rules.  The administrating authority publishing a statement such as "if we decide that on Tuesdays and Fridays the even-numbered contestants will be awarded one extra win, then that's the way it's gonna be" is not the manner in which contestants should become aware of the mechanism for adjudicating issues that arise.  Such a statement may be factually correct, but it leaves a bad taste in peoples' mouths, and may be seen as bullying or ego-driven, especially if published while an issue is still being worked out.  All this is avoidable with the phrase "tournament director's (or similar) decisions are final" appearing in the rules.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.