Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IGG rush fails in a Colony game  (Read 2510 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
IGG rush fails in a Colony game
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:34:55 pm »

I'm trying to figure out why an IGG rush strategy failed in this game:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/28/game-20111228-092906-bbc7f3bf.html

Key cards: Steward, Spice Merchant, Mining Village, Margrave, and IGG

I opened Steward/Spice Merchant, with the plan to use Spice Merchant to thin out the Coppers in the deck that I would get from IGGs and use Steward for money, or drawing if I needed to trigger a reshuffle. I proceeded to get all of the IGGs and drained the Duchy pile. But, instead of racing for Duchies, my opponent somehow trashed all the Curses and built his economy to be able to buy Colonies. GG.

Is Mining Village-Margrave-Steward really good enough at trashing to be able to ignore an IGG rush, or did I get unlucky/play poorly?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
Re: IGG rush fails in a Colony game
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:46:10 pm »

I'm no expert, but I don't really think trashing Coppers is needed in an IGG deck.  I would personally be worried about going for the rush in a Colony game especially with any good trashing.  It takes a while to drain the Duchies down, and they don't have to get too many Colonies to offset your Duchy points.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 12:57:59 pm »

Spice merchant is dreadful in an IGG rush - you pretty much want the coppers. If you want to go for the rush, you should probably go straight for silvers with one terminal - not sure whether that's steward or Margrave - and then rush the IGGs and then the provinces with all available speed, taking copper like every single time. And I'm not sure - it only takes a reasonably strong colony board to beat it, don't know whether this cuts the mustard or not.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:57:16 pm »

Rushing IGGs in Colony games is very risky, because there's almost no way of catching up once the Colony player gets the lead.

In Province games, the IGG player can snag an occasional Province and hinder the opponent this way. Colonies upset this balance and not in your favour.

And Copper actually helps you when rushing IGGs, you need them to buy more IGGs and Duchies. 3 Coppers and an IGG, that's already a Duchy.
Steward is good choice since, if you can always play it, it's a of course better than a simple Silver. I would hesitate using it to draw cards though, more likely for $2 to reach $5 or to trash Estates if you're already on $5.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:04:45 pm »

Your opponent didn't use a quarry but otherwise he did quite nice a job of keeping his deck trim with the steward to make a drawing deck. If an opponent can trash curses out in short order and keep a compact deck then cursing isn't very strong and ill-gotten-gains becomes weak. IGGs and copper also appear weak in 3 card hands after a margrave attack.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:09:23 pm by DG »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:16:38 pm »

Steward's pretty scary against an IGG rush. By the time you've bought 10 IGGs, you sort of expect your opponent to at a bare minimum have a completely clean deck. This is a key difference between IGG and traditional cursing attacks (where, after you make the original investment, you can go back to making your deck better.)

I think I'd opt against the IGGs, except possibly to punish an opponent who didn't buy steward here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.