Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Champion and Teacher speculation  (Read 19740 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Champion and Teacher speculation
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 09:38:21 pm »
+2

If anything, it will be Teacher that has some sort of Action card gain effect. You know, the Teacher teaches others to do jobs, like Universities do. Remember? University? Gain an Action card costing up to $5?

Champion might be a more confrontational card. It might have an effect like "Name a Treasure card. Each other play <digs> until revealing the named card. He trashes that card. You may gain any or all of these trashed cards". The Hero doesn't care to be confrontational, but the Champion has to maintain her status by competing against others.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 02:08:56 am »

If anything, it will be Teacher that has some sort of Action card gain effect. You know, the Teacher teaches others to do jobs, like Universities do. Remember? University? Gain an Action card costing up to $5?

Or maybe just "Gain an Action card", gaining King's Courts and Possessions easy as that?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 07:15:55 am »

Or maybe just "Gain an Action card", gaining King's Courts and Possessions easy as that?
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, just like Hero had unbounded treasure game. Although, Hero is at a level before Teacher.

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 06:35:16 pm »
+17

From the Teasers:
- +$3, +$4, and +$5

Since it'll take a long time to fully upgrade the Page/Peasant, my guess is that the +$4 or +$5 is found on at least one of the Champion/Teacher.

+$5 is already on Giant.
You're right! I forgot about that.
Don't feel bad, so does the Giant half the time.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 09:47:00 pm »

Teacher:
Gain an Action card from the Supply and play it.

Really powerful, but it has to do something better than just gaining the Action card, since by the time you'll get to play it, the game's probably almost over. Unless you have both good engine and/or strong trash, you're probably playing it every 2.5 turns or so, and you need to upgrade it 4 times to play it once. So you're really only getting like two Teacher plays out in most games.

Chapel Teacher is faster, so you could get a few more plays out, but something like Develop Teacher probably still only plays it two times. Also if Chapel's on the board, someone can probably end the game by just playing other cards.

easwaran

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 03:56:34 pm »
+1

Remember that on a lot of boards there are no $6 or $7 actions, so University is often already +2 actions, Gain an Action, so Teacher needs to be better than that.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 04:47:52 pm »
+1

Remember that on a lot of boards there are no $6 or $7 actions, so University is often already +2 actions, Gain an Action, so Teacher needs to be better than that.

I don't think this line of thinking holds. There's often no better Treasure than Gold, yet Hero exists despite Soothsayer.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 04:55:01 pm »

I don't think this line of thinking holds. There's often no better Treasure than Gold, yet Hero exists despite Soothsayer.

But there are kingdom Treasures more often than $6+ Actions, and Hero can help Feodum.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 05:21:21 pm »
+3

But there are kingdom Treasures more often than $6+ Actions, and Hero can help Feodum.

I think that's a stretch. Sometimes you'll want those Kingdom Treasures over Gold, but usually not. You're not gaining Loan or Talisman or even Quarry with your Hero. And if Hero is your Feodum enabler, you're gonna have a bad time.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2015, 06:47:13 pm »
+1

…And Hero is better than Soothsayer (for some functions), since in addition to gaining a Gold it gives you +$2 right now, which Soothsayer doesn't do.

easwaran

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 07:15:22 pm »

…And Hero is better than Soothsayer (for some functions), since in addition to gaining a Gold it gives you +$2 right now, which Soothsayer doesn't do.

Furthermore, Hero and Soothsayer are both at the $5 price point, while University is in some sense a lot cheaper than Champion/Teacher, and also has the bonus +2 actions. But perhaps Teacher is +2 action, +$2, Gain an Action - that's certainly substantially stronger than University, even if there are no $6 or $7 actions.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 09:08:07 pm »
+3

Hero might have a cost of $5, but it's not really at the same price point as Soothsayer.
You can't actually buy it for $5.
I think it's very difficult to compare costs between cards that are in the Supply and those that aren't, especially in the case of the Travellers.
How do you quantify the cost of playing a card a turn for three turns to get a Hero?

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 07:36:07 am »
+1

Champion
Return this to the Champion pile.  If you do, take any number of cards from the Supply with a total cost of no more than $15.  (You may not take any cards with a cost of $0.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:43:03 pm by Orange »

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 12:29:06 pm »
+2

Champion
Return this to the supply.  If you do, take any number of cards from the Supply with a total cost of no more than $15.  (You may not take any cards with a cost of $0.)

Champion is not in the supply.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 03:27:57 pm »
+1

1. Hero can often be better than Soothsayer (maybe?).  It gives you +$2 now and doesn't make the opponent draw (in exchange for not giving them a Curse).

2. More importantly, Hero isn't the last card in the chain, so it doesn't need to make sure it's strictly better than cheaper cards.  Maybe the whole point of getting Hero is to upgrade it to Champion.  If Champion were worse than Soothsayer, that would be bad.  I think that's the much more appropriate comparison.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 08:42:40 pm »

Champion
Return this to the supply.  If you do, take any number of cards from the Supply with a total cost of no more than $15.  (You may not take any cards with a cost of $0.)

Champion is not in the supply.

Fair enough.  Fixed.

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 09:29:22 pm »

Is there any possibility that Champion and Teacher may both involve a Champion/Teacher token?  It at least would make sense for Teacher to teach a supply pile or something.  I don't know.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2015, 03:55:12 pm »
+1

So in my opinion, Champion is a lot stronger than any of the guesses here. That's mostly just based on speculation; I've only played it once.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2015, 04:04:54 pm »

I was not expecting them to have those kinds of permanent effects, but it's very fitting. And also suits the last guess, except Teacher uses existing tokens and Champion gives a different sort of benefit as a second permanent Duration.

Teacher seems very flexible; its Reserve status seems mostly like a downside but it does mean you get to make a decision based on what will immediately benefit you. Interesting that it can't stack tokens, but the events that place those tokens can.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2015, 04:07:17 pm »

I was not expecting them to have those kinds of permanent effects, but it's very fitting. And also suits the last guess, except Teacher uses existing tokens and Champion gives a different sort of benefit as a second permanent Duration.

Teacher seems very flexible; its Reserve status seems mostly like a downside but it does mean you get to make a decision based on what will immediately benefit you. Interesting that it can't stack tokens, but the events that place those tokens can.

Yeah, my feeling was that no stacking tokens weakens it a good bit, which must mean that it was way too strong without the restriction (just assuming that the first idea didn't have it). The reserve does seem that it's mostly just meant to delay your token even more than it already is. So it didn't sound nearly as strong to me as Champion, but who knows.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2015, 04:17:46 pm »

I mean that you can't have Teacher put a token on a pile that already has a different token.

Teacher is definitely slower to get its benefit; Champion does everything in one play while Teacher can take as many as four to take full effect. So it'll probably better suit longer games, like Prince.

The Reserve status does stop you from getting the benefit the turn you play Teacher.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2015, 04:29:27 pm »

I mean that you can't have Teacher put a token on a pile that already has a different token.

Teacher is definitely slower to get its benefit; Champion does everything in one play while Teacher can take as many as four to take full effect. So it'll probably better suit longer games, like Prince.

The Reserve status does stop you from getting the benefit the turn you play Teacher.
More than that, you can't put it back on the tavern mat the turn you call it. So, you can only add another token 2 turns later with the same Teacher. I think you'll have to be lucky to have a game last long enough to get 2 tokens moved through Teacher.

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2015, 04:45:29 pm »

I was so wrong haha.  Am I the only person immensely pleased that the Teacher line is male while the Champion line is female?  Reversing gender roles ftw.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2015, 06:55:21 pm »
+1

I think the reserve/start-of-turn thing has more to do with helping tracking and less to do with power.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2015, 08:01:44 pm »

I think the reserve/start-of-turn thing has more to do with helping tracking and less to do with power.

What do you mean? What tracking issue could there be if you simply got the effect when you played teacher?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.