Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kingdom card count  (Read 2285 times)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
Kingdom card count
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:41:06 am »

With so many interesting new mechanics, I wonder if the game will in average be more interesting, if we increase the kingdom card count to be, say, 15?

(I think one certainly does not need 15 useful kingdom cards, but enlarge that number may make a random game more interesting, especially if the cards are drawn among all expansions.)

Or, it becomes more boring because there is more likely always to be a village, and a +buy somewhere, and some draw?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom card count
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:42:37 am »
+6

Well, with events not counting as cards, the number of available buy options already increases.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:44:37 am »

10 still seems to be the right balance for me.  When you start adding more, games just take too long to analyze.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:47:36 am »
+2

Well, with events not counting as cards, the number of available buy options already increases.

This. Adventures already effectively increases the maximum "card" count to 12. It definitely does add more strategic depth, and in a more interesting way than just adding two more Kingdom cards.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:39:25 am »

Yup. Events are going to make the game feel like we have more Kingdom cards, or at least more options. Plus, many of the cards previewed seem to imply a lot of strategic game making decisions. 15 Kingdom cards plus 2 events just feels like overkill to me.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:08:16 am »
+7

When I think about a Dominion board, before I look at the cards I think I'm building and engine. Then I look at the board and see all of the things I can't do. That's what makes the game interesting -- your engine can't do this, so you do something else instead. Sometimes your engine can't engine so you do something else instead.

From this perspective, if you had 15 Kingdom cards, you're more likely to just be able to do everything, which takes away from something I find interesting. If anything, I think playing with less kingdom cards would be better than playing with more, but 10 seems just fine with me.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.