Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Question : Rules book on RGG web site ?  (Read 55466 times)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
Re: Question : Rules book on RGG web site ?
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2015, 09:30:36 am »

How often will you want to trash a good card with Raze? It looks like the best targets are Estates, and well you can always trash coppers. Trashing anything else seems a bit of a waste.

My initial guess is that Raze is going to be a bit like Apprentice; if you only ever use it to trash Estates and Coppers, you're doing it wrong.

I don't think you really want this. I think  this mechanic has a big diminishing returns factor, like having a second or a third card to choose from is pretty signficant while the 6th or 8th card doesn't matter a whole lot unless (edge case inc) you seriously need to find one single card (of which you only have one copy) in your deck right now.
That said, I agree trashing Estates is pretty nice with it and you'd opportunistically trash Coppers, but it's probably best when you can trash mid-cost cards with decreasing value, like that other trasher you've bought early (Moneylender? Doctor?) or that early Silver you've bought to start building up your engine you'd rather thin now (like in a Grand Market stack deck without extra draw).
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2015, 09:36:30 am »

Royal Carriage is so purple and it's awesome.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2015, 09:52:54 am »

Quick question that isn't answered in the FAQ: can I buy a Ball if I've already taken my -$1 token and still gain two cards?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2015, 09:57:04 am »
+3

I think it's pretty obvious from the card text that you can: There is no "If you do".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2015, 10:10:07 am »

Holy crap dat Inheritance FAQ

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2015, 11:06:40 am »

Travelling Fair is neat; it's the +2 Buys Event everyone wanted but with some twists. The Royal Seal effect makes a lot more sense on an Event and goes well with the extra Buys so you can set up multiple cards for the next turn. It also makes it less cost-effective to buy more than once in a turn while still being possible.

Although I've gotta say, costing $2 makes it way harder to work into a Turn 1 multiplayer empty Supply strategy. If the first player goes Baker coin --> Borrow --> Stonemason --> Lost City x2, the other players can all open $9, but they can't actually pick up double $4 cards from there. Although I'm sure a Travelling Fair variant that cheap would've been worse for the game overall.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2015, 12:15:47 pm »
+13

Observatory
Cost: 2
Action

+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Look at cards from the top of the deck equal to the trashed card's cost in coins. Put one of these cards into your hand, discard any amount, and put the rest back on top of the deck in any order.

Cool to see this idea work. :)

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2015, 01:15:59 pm »

In the pre-preview hints, Donald said that there are two 12-card piles, but I only see one Victory card in the set (Distant Lands). Am I missing another Victory card somewhere?

EDIT: I see on the other thread that Port has 12 cards. Interesting.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:19:39 pm by bedlam »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2015, 01:26:39 pm »
+1

Port : Talisman :: Border Village : Haggler

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2015, 01:27:42 pm »

Wine Merchant offers flexibility in springing for something high cost soon (say a King's Court, Prince, or Forge) and then buying some low cost engine part to go with it on your next turn.

This is super obvious, my point was that I don't see a context in which Wine Merchant is remotely strong.

Good thing it leaves your deck after you play it, then…. ;)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2015, 01:28:35 pm »
+1

Can Teacher move an already placed token?
Yes.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2015, 01:55:41 pm »

Observatory
Cost: 2
Action

+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Look at cards from the top of the deck equal to the trashed card's cost in coins. Put one of these cards into your hand, discard any amount, and put the rest back on top of the deck in any order.

Cool to see this idea work. :)

Congrats!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2015, 02:20:02 pm »

Port : Talisman :: Border Village : Haggler
So what you're saying is that a game with Quarry, Talisman, Port, Border Village, and Haggler would 3-pile quickly?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2015, 02:46:05 pm »

Plan: !!!! Yes! Wow! This is really good trashing. This card might allow you to skip buying a trasher altogether. Hell, Village can become a trasher. I don't know. As far as trashers goes, I have a feeling this is up there with the likes of Steward. This is actually probably better. Not Chapel strong, but really damn strong. Man, I can actually live the dream and open Village, or better yet, Port.

You realize Plan lets you trash a card when you buy from the pile with the token, not when you play a card from that pile, right?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2015, 03:20:55 pm »

Just finished reading all the cards/events. Awesome stuff. I really like the events.

I do think Pathfinder is justified to be more expensive than Lost Arts. It's true that +1 Action tokens add so much reliability to a deck. It lines up a village with all the copies of a card that you really want to play with a village. But +1 Card lines up a Lab with every copy of a card. That's really, really good. Being able to increase your handsize lets you get away with more stop cards in your deck, in a way that a deck full of extra villages cannot do on it's own.

About the travelers, don't underestimate the Peasant line. Yes, upgrading Peasant and Soldier is a little rocky due to them being terminal, but there is strong synergy between Teacher and Disciple. Get one Teacher, and keep Disciples around to play cards with tokens on them, while getting more of those cards. It's a shame Teacher is so slow at adding tokens. You can't play it again the same turn it is called, and it can't be called the turn it is put on the Tavern mat. You can only add/move a token to a pile every 2 turns with the same Teacher. Still, while Champion makes your whole deck non-terminal, Disciple helps your deck have more Action cards with Teacher making those cards better.

Okay, the Page line seems a bit unfair because of Warrior. If Player A trashes Player B's Treasure Hunter/Warrior, Player A gets to Champion a lot faster than Player B. Champion itself is quite absurd. Perhaps the treasure gaining of the earlier cards in the line slow down the desired increase in action density enough to make Champion a bit more fair.

Oh and Port, just...wow. Like come on, that's a $2 and 1 +buy discount compared to buying 2 Villages. That's sounds so good.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2015, 03:22:14 pm »

Pathfinding: Well, we always knew drawing cards was strong. I guess $8 is a reasonable cost to turn all my villages into Lost Cities, my Smithies into super Smithies. And, geese Hunting Grounds can now draw 5 cards.
Pearl Divers into Labs;  Pawns into a BoM-style Lab/Village/Peddler/Market Square.
My opponent has more loot than me

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2015, 03:25:31 pm »
+3

Okay so if someone plays Warrior, I actually discard the card before it's trashed?  Which means that if it's Tunnel, I can reveal it to gain a Gold, covering it up so that it's lost track of, and it doesn't actually get trashed?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2015, 03:25:43 pm »

I wonder how many engines there will be centered around just getting champion ASAP and buying a bunch of smithies. Seems like it could work. Teacher can also get ridiculous in really long games.

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2015, 03:25:47 pm »

Pathfiding Pawns can't be Villages; only Lost Arts Pawns (Lost Pawns?) can.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2015, 03:26:42 pm »
+3

Pathfinding: Well, we always knew drawing cards was strong. I guess $8 is a reasonable cost to turn all my villages into Lost Cities, my Smithies into super Smithies. And, geese Hunting Grounds can now draw 5 cards.
Pearl Divers into Labs;  Pawns into a BoM-style Lab/Village/Peddler/Market Square.
It's even better than you describe, because you get +1 Card first to help inform your decision.

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2015, 03:42:36 pm »

Some of the Travellers might be more useful than their exchangees.  Treasure Hunter in Feodum games.  Also Soldier turns attacks into a +coin sort of; this could be good with cantrip attacks (Urchin/Familiar).  I don't know.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »

Raid+Feodum too wow.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2015, 03:46:25 pm »
+4

...Oh dear god.

"Player A plays Treasure Hunter! Player A gains two Silvers! Player A buys a Silver!"
"Player B plays Treasure Hunter! Player B gains three Silvers! Player B buys a Silver!"
"Player A plays Throne Room! Player A plays Treasure Hunter! Player A gains four Silvers! Player A plays Treasure Hunter! Player A gains four Silvers!"

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2015, 03:48:24 pm »

Miser lets you Pirate Ship yourself. I like it.

I loved Miser, especially when I was able to multi-play it with Royal Carriage. It presents some difficult choices, do I want $4 now, or another copper out of my deck and $5 for my next Miser? I guess Pirate Ship has the same situation (except there you risk getting nothing if you don't take the money). I ended up with all 7 Coppers set aside. And I may have had my action token on Miser too.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2015, 03:48:39 pm »
+1

Okay so if someone plays Warrior, I actually discard the card before it's trashed?  Which means that if it's Tunnel, I can reveal it to gain a Gold, covering it up so that it's lost track of, and it doesn't actually get trashed?

That sounds correct.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.