Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Question : Rules book on RGG web site ?  (Read 55472 times)

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: Question : Rules book on RGG web site ?
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 06:41:54 am »
+1

Warrior is so perfect in the Champion chain.  To get promoted all the way to champion, she will have to survive as a Treasure Hunter and a Warrior without getting offed!

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 07:01:56 am »
+1

Some initial thoughts:

Royal Carriage:  weak 5er
Artificer:  a beast in the right deck (like Crossroads/alt VP, or Cursed/Ruined)
Miser:  get a +1 Action token or Inheritance token on it and you are off to the races with your personal, controllable Pirate Ship

Royal Carriage doesn't really seem weak. I mean, yeah 4$-5$ in comparison (vs Throne Room) is huge step, but then you can always wait to pair it with the action you want it, which probably makes RC more viable in several situations. On the other hand, you often may just want to throne another 5$ and might just buy that other 5$ right away. I can already see the pile running if it's the only village in a kingdom, though, so I guess it's good enough.

Artificer: Vault/Secret Chamber, but as a gainer instead of +Coins. Probably best in a trim Scrying Pool engine, but seems good in any kind of engine that can draw cards in resonable amounts. Putting the card on top of the deck is the icing on the cake. Overall, I guess you want to get this card later then most other gainers, most of the time?

Miser: Feels a bit like Island when you sort of get rid of your VP-cards without losing the VP. I guess that would have been lovely with +Buy but I really like the concept of copper trashing early and then benefit later.

Pathfinding seems okay for 8$. I guess it's better than Prince.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 07:18:55 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 07:05:56 am »
+1

Distant Lands:  Rare to NOT choose this over Duchy during the stage in the game when you are spending 5 for a Victory card, no?

FYP. Distant Lands is the strongest 5 in the set.

The timing of "the stage where you want a 5-cost VP card" is strongly dependent on how bad the card is for your deck. Duchies are terrible; Distant Lands, far less so.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 07:16:49 am »
+9

For those discussing Wine Merchant, it's not great, but the trick is playing more than one Wine Merchant so that you only pay the $2 once for all of them.

edit: in addition to the flexibility Gherald is mentioning, and also you don't have to pay the penalty the last time you use it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 07:30:22 am by Mic Qsenoch »

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 07:27:38 am »

Distant Lands:  Rare to NOT choose this over Duchy during the stage in the game when you are spending 5 for a Victory card, no?

FYP. Distant Lands is the strongest 5 in the set.

The timing of "the stage where you want a 5-cost VP card" is strongly dependent on how bad the card is for your deck. Duchies are terrible; Distant Lands, far less so.

Strongest 5?  I need more convincing.  I guess I'm underestimating the fact that if we are several turns from game end, or I have strong cycling, I can get the card out of my deck.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 07:37:40 am »
+1

Warrior's attack is pretty wild. If you have all 5 Warriors and play them all in a turn, you're looking through 15 cards of your opponent's deck and trashing all the $3s and $4s, even if you have no other travellers. Playing some Pages before a single Warrior is a possibility also. Even though it'll be slow to set something like this up, it's damaging enough that I imagine it'll be worth contesting the Page chain more often than not, especially since Champion shuts down the attack if you get that far. Only hitting $3s and $4s is a significant limitation, but decks usually have something important in that price range, so that losing all of them would be a big problem.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 07:40:11 am »

I think we had about as much chances to guess Champion as we had of guessing Inheritance. Wow.
It's kinda funny that most of the other cards in the chain antisynergize with champion. Treasure Hunter and Hero clog your deck, and Warrior can trash Treasure Hunters and Warriors before they upgrade. Warrior is an interesting attack: while the first one is not particularly dangerous, but it can quickly become very oppressive. Luckily (?) there's only five of them, so it will probably never reach that level.

How often will you want to trash a good card with Raze? It looks like the best targets are Estates, and well you can always trash coppers. Trashing anything else seems a bit of a waste.

Caravan guard is a delayed peddler, or a straight peddler when you are attacked, right? Ok, I guess. Weird.

Distant Lands is going to shake up greening strategies. If you piledrive them, you only need to get one province and one duchy to beat someone that is trying to piledrive Provinces, and the other player is going to stall way earlier than that.

Miser is cool. Slow though. I wonder if the extra reliability and thinning is going to make it better than Pirate Ship. Probably.

Wine Merchant: you want to call more than one at once, and you don't even need to play them on the same turn. Nice for all those times where you wished that Fool's Gold was an Action. It does come with a buy, engines like that.

Treasure Trove: BM is probably going to like this, especially with sifting.

Alms is cute. I like it.

I wish Bonfire granted a buy... It's going to be tricky to use it to get rid of your coppers after the first couple of turns.

Ferry: yoohoo BoM can copy more expensive cards! Now back to discussing how "from this pile" interacts with BoM...

Do you think Ranger+Pilgrimage is going to be a thing? Draw 5 cards, pay 4.... yeah probably not.

Funny that Lost Arts and Training cost the same. I would have guessed Lost Arts should cost more, somehow. Hmm...

Oh, any idea how the -1$ token works?

PPE 3
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2015, 07:41:10 am »
+2

Miser lets you Pirate Ship yourself. I like it.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2015, 07:43:17 am »
+1

The -$1 token works just the like the card token.  Then next time you get $1, you get rid of the token instead.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2015, 07:44:53 am »

Treasure Trove is so close to being strictly better than Cache. Oh well.

Edit: Oh, "when you play this." Well, that's different.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2015, 08:01:52 am »

Royal Carriage can't Royal Carriage itself. Ugh. My opinion of it has just dropped considerably.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 08:04:02 am »
+6

Royal Carriage can't Royal Carriage itself. Ugh. My opinion of it has just dropped considerably.

You can, however, call multiple Royal Carriages on a single action.  It works similarly but also very differently from Throne Room.  The cool thing about it is it doesn't run in to the "I drew Throne Room with 4 treasures" hand problem.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 08:05:00 am »
+2

How often will you want to trash a good card with Raze? It looks like the best targets are Estates, and well you can always trash coppers. Trashing anything else seems a bit of a waste.

My initial guess is that Raze is going to be a bit like Apprentice; if you only ever use it to trash Estates and Coppers, you're doing it wrong.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2015, 08:13:58 am »
+1

You can, however, call multiple Royal Carriages on a single action.  It works similarly but also very differently from Throne Room.  The cool thing about it is it doesn't run in to the "I drew Throne Room with 4 treasures" hand problem.

Mmmmm... TR and KC have an intrinsic villaginess that becomes apparent when you use them on themselves. But Royal Carriage can copy any given card an "unlimited" number of times. So I guess TR and KC are better when you would like to play many different cards each turn, and RC is better when you just want to play one type of card as many times as you can.

The comparison is not perfect because they have different costs, but ok.

My initial guess is that Raze is going to be a bit like Apprentice; if you only ever use it to trash Estates and Coppers, you're doing it wrong.

Well, Raze only costs 2$ and can trash itself. I am not sure that Razing a Gold is a good idea, edge cases aside.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2015, 08:29:04 am »

Pilgrimage seems amazing. Gain 3 cards you have in play for the cost of $4. Okay, and the Journey token needs to be facing the proper way, but still, damn, that's impressive. Anyway, will give more thoughts later. Oh, you can cain a KC off of Pilgrimage and two other cards.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 08:29:31 am »
+1

I could be wrong, but I think that's completely false. It's pretty rare that I want to Raze an expensive card.

Full disclosure: Raze is the only card in the set that I think is a waste of a slot.

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 08:36:12 am »
+1

Well, Raze only costs 2$ and can trash itself. I am not sure that Razing a Gold is a good idea, edge cases aside.

The edge case could be Tunnel, I guess?!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:37:31 am by Psyduck »

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2015, 08:40:21 am »

The edge case could be Tunnel, I guess?!

Possibly Market Square.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2015, 08:49:52 am »

Not really, your handsize decreases.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2015, 08:50:33 am »

Why am I hiring Gandalf to catch rats? Doesn't he have more important stuff to do?

So that thing in my hand is a rat? I thought it was a staff.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2015, 08:53:09 am »
+11

Why am I hiring Gandalf to catch rats? Doesn't he have more important stuff to do?

So that thing in my hand is a rat? I thought it was a staff.

Turns out you were Radagast all along.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2015, 08:56:23 am »

Regarding Raze: I think it might be worth it just for the trashing sometimes. (Seriously, compare this to Bomb. This is ridiculously strong :P)

Too bad there's no cost increasing token, but at least Ferry allows for some BoM-combos.

padlock

• Pawn
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2015, 09:02:53 am »
+3

I really like the events. I can't wait to train my rats!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2015, 09:16:30 am »

Some thoughts. Holy Engine Batman! This seems to be the most enginey expansion ever, even more so than DA.

Anyway, let's start with Events. I need to go to sleep soon, so I might just cover those for now.

Alms: This is great. If I have a treasureless deck, I gain a free card. I can open 5/4 or 4/4, and against junking attacks, this guarantees I get a card every turn. This seems solid.

Ball: Gaining two 4 costs can be good. Yah, it costs $5 and has a small drawback. But opening Double Sea Hag or getting two Ironmongers or Caravans can be worth it. This doesn't seem super powerful, but also a solid event. Alms does seem better though.

Bonfire: Hmm, so the cards have to be in play. Well, this is a nice way to get rid of extra coppers later in the game. This card seems reasonable for the cost and probably an event that will see a decent amount of play, especially on boards with weak to no trashing.

Borrow: I covered this already, but I think it is pretty good. Sometimes, you just need to hit $5 or even open $5 for that matter and this helps with that. It also makes it easier to get KC or Goons or some other high cost card you may need. So, yah, pretty solid and the drawback seems reasonable.

Expedition: More often than not, buying this over silver seems the right call I think. Solid.

Ferry: Holy *&*(&! This only costs $3. What? So, now Wharves can cost $3. Goons $4. Grand Markets for $4. Oh man, this card seems nuts for the cost of $3. And, you can move the token, so it lets you open a $5 cost if for some reason you get a $3/$4 split. I do like how Dominion is getting more and more ways to open with a $5 cost.

Inheritance: Seems amazing. I'm not sure how powerful it is, but being able to buy Ironmonger estates seems pretty damn awesome to me.

Lost Arts: Engines here I come!

Mission: I love this card. Probably one of the events that is more situational, but on the boards that it is useful, this can really, really shine.

Pathfinding: Well, we always knew drawing cards was strong. I guess $8 is a reasonable cost to turn all my villages into Lost Cities, my Smithies into super Smithies. And, geese Hunting Grounds can now draw 5 cards. Yah, this seems solid.

Pilgrimage: Oh man, this card is beautiful. $4 seems an amazing cost. HoP loves this card. Oh, and I think I plan on going on a Mission soon to go on a Pilgrimage. Anyway, I have not played with this card, and I'm in love.

Plan: !!!! Yes! Wow! This is really good trashing. This card might allow you to skip buying a trasher altogether. Hell, Village can become a trasher. I don't know. As far as trashers goes, I have a feeling this is up there with the likes of Steward. This is actually probably better. Not Chapel strong, but really damn strong. Man, I can actually live the dream and open Village, or better yet, Port.

Quest: Solid. Oh, and whoever mentioned Tunnel in an earlier thread, kudos.

Raid: Definitely one of the weaker events except feodum loves this card, a LOT. I guess in BM this card is pretty good though, but really how often are we going to see BM these days?

Save: So, a Haven I can use anytime. Seems cool. This helps with Terminal Collision, that's for sure. And $1 is pretty cheap  most of the time. Another solid event.

Scouting Party: This card has its uses. It can also be tactically used to skip bad draws and whatnot.

Seaway: What??? So, for $5, I get a $4 cost and all copies of that $4 cost have +Buy. Wow! Yah, that's all I have to say.

Trade: With weak trashing this can be good. Although, I'm pretty sure this is one of the weaker events. I mean for crying out loud we have Plan.

Training: Seems weaker than Lost Arts. But, I guess $6 is a fair price. I'm pretty sure this will get bought in almost every game it shows up in, especially on enginey boards.

Travelling Fair: Seems handy and the cost also seems fair. This can also be used to set up some interesting turns if the economy is there. Solid.

Okay, I will get to the Kingdom cards later. But, all I have to say is this set is amazing, amazing, amazing. I think Donald X. has truly outdone himself here.

PPE:5

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2015, 09:17:17 am »
+6

Raze is the bomb.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.