Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: New mechanics  (Read 28150 times)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: New mechanics
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2015, 11:08:08 pm »

Actually just realized the same question exists with Remake (which I've always pronounced as a noun), though the difference is less... pronounced if you will - and somehow we've all survived.

Hmm... I think this must be a regional thing, because to me the verb remake and the noun remake have identical pronunciation. I can't work out where the difference would be. Do you say one with a shorter E sound?

For my ear the difference is stress, RE-make for noun, re-MAKE for verb.

It is a principle in English that for two-syllable words that could be nouns and verbs, the noun form takes stress on the first syllable and verb form takes stress on the second syllable. For example: rebel, record, contest, conflict, etc.

That being said, it may be somewhat dialectical or generational, because I pronounce nouns/verbs like remake, protest, import, etc. always with the emphasis on the first syllable, although I recognize some people stress the second when they're verbs.
I can't even hear in my head different versions of remake, protest, or import. Things like "rehbel" and "reebel" or "rehcord" and "reecord" I can hear. How would "remake" be pronounced differently?

"They are going to remake that movie. The remake will come out next year."
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2015, 11:11:03 pm »
+4

Played my first Adventures games tonight! Teacher was insane. Absolutely insane. Ridiculous. (all in a good way).

Card tokens, man. Card tokens.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2015, 11:49:36 pm »

Treasure Trove is kind of a beast if you have good trashing.  Like, say, two Amulets and a couple Ratcatchers.  You get rid of all the Copper you intake, and your deck just floods with Gold.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2015, 12:54:50 am »

Actually just realized the same question exists with Remake (which I've always pronounced as a noun), though the difference is less... pronounced if you will - and somehow we've all survived.

Hmm... I think this must be a regional thing, because to me the verb remake and the noun remake have identical pronunciation. I can't work out where the difference would be. Do you say one with a shorter E sound?

It is a principle in English that for two-syllable words that could be nouns and verbs, the noun form takes stress on the first syllable and verb form takes stress on the second syllable. For example: rebel, record, contest, conflict, etc.

That being said, it may be somewhat dialectical or generational, because I pronounce nouns/verbs like remake, protest, import, etc. always with the emphasis on the first syllable, although I recognize some people stress the second when they're verbs.
I can't even hear in my head different versions of remake, protest, or import. Things like "rehbel" and "reebel" or "rehcord" and "reecord" I can hear. How would "remake" be pronounced differently?

I mean, I don't make a distinction between the pronunciations either. But it'd be something like "REE-make" vs "ruh-MAKE" (IPA: 'ri.meɪk vs rə.'meɪk), although I can't say I've heard anyone say this. But being from California my English is very different from the rest of the country, maybe it's an East Cost thing or something. "Protest" I think is the easiest of those to try to hear; imagine a theatrical British performer crying out, "I must protest!" Or just think "pruh-TEST" (IPA: pɹə.'tʰɛst).

It's likely that distinctions like this are dying off. Language is always changing!

EDIT: IPA
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:56:20 am by crlundy »

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2015, 02:14:03 am »
+1

I mean, I don't make a distinction between the pronunciations either. But it'd be something like "REE-make" vs "ruh-MAKE" (IPA: 'ri.meɪk vs rə.'meɪk), although I can't say I've heard anyone say this. But being from California my English is very different from the rest of the country, maybe it's an East Cost thing or something. "Protest" I think is the easiest of those to try to hear; imagine a theatrical British performer crying out, "I must protest!" Or just think "pruh-TEST" (IPA: pɹə.'tʰɛst).

It's likely that distinctions like this are dying off. Language is always changing!

EDIT: IPA

I, also from California, have never heard ruh-MAKE with a schwa sound either, but I do say ree-MAKE when it's a verb. (My online dictionary has this distinction as well.)

I'd never stopped to think that it's actually a principle, that's really interesting and makes sense. And also your observation that there's some flexibility with the pronunciation of the verbs - import, protest, remake sound OK to me stressed either way as a verb - but only one way as a noun. Some like contest are more clear cut though. But as you say these things are always changing!

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2015, 02:17:59 am »

Played my first Adventures games tonight! Teacher was insane. Absolutely insane. Ridiculous. (all in a good way).

Sounds amazing. So for Teacher you didn't feel like the game was almost over by the time you got and played one? That's the one thing I wonder just reading about the travellers without having played them...

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2015, 02:20:41 am »

Burning with envy. My local online store expected to have Adventures may/june...

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2015, 03:29:28 am »

Sounds amazing. So for Teacher you didn't feel like the game was almost over by the time you got and played one? That's the one thing I wonder just reading about the travellers without having played them...

Absolutely not. One of the games was the second recommended "pure Adventures" set from the rulebook, and it has Mission, so you cycle your deck super fast*. I think I lost that game 9-6, but you know how useless final score is in Dominion - it was a blowout. The second game with it featured Dungeon, and ditto - super-fast cycling. Teacher feels like Prince - takes a long time to build, but when it's worth it, it's really worth it.

*it's possible it's slow, but really, who's going to play BM against freakin' Peasant/Page? A soulless monster, that's who.

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2015, 10:42:39 am »
+1

I played three games last night, the first being the "Gentle Intro" suggested kingdom, which had the Peasant line (as well as Lost City). I was amazed at how fast I was able to get the Teacher. I didn't do much with it, but it didn't take long to get.

It helped that I got incredibly lucky at the start. I got a 2/5 split, bought a Peasant, the next player bought a Lost City, and I shuffled and drew the Peasant. So on my second turn, I was able to buy a hireling and promote the peasant.

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2015, 12:55:48 pm »

Wow, cool. Guess that's also an example of how significant the Lost City on-buy penalty can be early on.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2015, 02:54:47 pm »
+1

Wow, cool. Guess that's also an example of how significant the Lost City on-buy penalty can be early on.

yeah.  That is something to remember.  "you make your own shuffle luck" - well, if you are the 2nd player and you buy lost city T1, you just "made your opponent's shuffle luck".  You guarantee that your opponent will have the card he purchased T1 possibly on T2, definitely T3. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.