Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do you defend against this set?  (Read 1893 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
How do you defend against this set?
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:04:02 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/28/game-20111228-080015-dd871965.html

I had the exact same strategy that my opponent did.  As far as I can tell, he hit a megaturn first, and I got screwed on Turn 14, when I drew 4 torturers in the same hand (and didn't want to play them all because I'd trigger a reshuffle and they'd miss getting shuffled in).

Was this just bad luck?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: How do you defend against this set?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:13:55 am »

It might have been bad luck, however your opponent has walled villages that provide +1 card. You have fishing villages and universities that provide +0 cards. If you compare his turn 13 with your turn 13 then this could be the difference.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:15:12 am »

Walled Villages are pretty key with Torturer, since being the first to play multiple Torturers is so critical.  I'd have thought that the Fishing Village spam would have been able to overcome this, however.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:29:39 am »

I almost certainly would have avoided potions and universities. I'm quite sure that without the other stuff, univ+Torturer loses to BM+Torturer, and I imagine it's the same here. It's hard for me to think that WV>FV even here, but it's certainly possible. I do tend to not play torturer so well, as a caveat.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 04:09:23 pm »

My experience with FV->Torturer is that it's surprisingly not-that-strong compared to other villages->Torturer.  FV->Torturer on this turn is net +1 card.  That's not a lot.  Sure, next turn, you get another net +1 card from the FV, but the point of a village/torturer engine is to put together a big chain THIS TURN, to force your opponent to either lose their entire hand or take massive numbers of Curses.  In my experience, FV/Torturer tends to result in lots of turns in which you play one or two Torturers, not 3 or 4.

Since the engine is its own payload, the additional +actions aren't that useful -- you aren't going to be buying many if any terminals other than Torturer.  The money of FV is also not a terribly big deal: you aren't trying to explode into a multi-Province turn, all you really need to do is hit $5 so you can keep buying Torturers -- the idea is to ruin your opponent's deck so totally that you can buy Provinces at your leisure.

More specifically about that game, I don't like using the +cards of Governor here -- you limit the damage that your Torturers do if your opponent has greater than 5 card hands.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.