Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Author Topic: Diplomacy 5: 1900 variant (Game over - 4 way draw between BRIT)  (Read 21725 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomacy 5: 1900 variant (Game over - 4 way draw between BRIT)
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2015, 09:28:24 pm »

Yeah, the time commitment is too much for me, especially near the end. I apologize I missed so many deadlines. I'd be willing to try the "No QTs" game. Sounds interesting.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2015, 09:32:40 pm »

I'd play gunboat. I'd be in favor of keeping player names hidden, too.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2015, 09:36:20 pm »

I'd play gunboat. I'd be in favor of keeping player names hidden, too.
Well I was thinking we'd still be allowed to post in the main thread. I guess we could do both? The details aren't super important to me though.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2015, 03:04:42 am »

I enjoyed modding this game, but made a few modding mistakes here and there. In particular I should clarify one thing for the benefit of a potential future mod.

During the game I became aware that there are two very different ways to play the game online; with DIAS or without. If you don't know what this abbreviation means you are in the same situation as I at the beginning of game.

DIAS stands for 'draws involve all survivors' and playing without means that you can end the game with a draw without involving one nation if that nation agrees. E.g. the one-center Austria could have agreed to a 4 way draw of BRIT. The next mod should specify in the beginning whether he wants to play with DIAS or not.

In this game this lead to some confusion. At the start of the game, I would probably have ruled that a nation that has almost lost could resign, but in my mind that was always a one or two center nation. However, Walrus pointed out that if you allow resignations, you should also allow it for larger nations. So at that point I needed to make a decision and chose DIAS. Unfortunately, I could not tell Walrus why I made up my mind, because that could have given away Britain's plans (that he told me in his PMs).

My personal preference would be to play with DIAS. I'll use this game as an argument: at the point where Walrus would have suggested to vote for a draw, Britain was at 10 centers and could not have pushed for a solo yet. So he would be forced to agree to a draw even though he later got a chance for the win.

Now for the actual game.

liopoil played very well without forming any long term alliances. The only major mistake was that you underestimated the strength of the RT bond. IMHO you should have tried to split the alliance.

When Britain stabbed Germany, faust and ADK formed an alliance with Turkey but didn't push him to attack Russia. ADK essentially stopped the attack on Turkey without asking for anything in return. I wonder if Hydrad would have attacked Russia if they had asked him to.

Hydrad played well in his first game but in the next game you should develop an agenda of his own. This game you found a very stable partner in Russia, but you may not find yourself in such a friendly area again.

As I mention in the spectator thread, I thought that Walrus would try to win. In the year before Britain's stab, I would give you about 50% chance for a successful run, in particular if you work Turkey so that his units are out of position.

For Jack and KingZog, unfortunately you could never recover from the first years.

Finally, I plan to write an email to the developer of this variant. Are there any other testimonials that I should write to him.

Personally, I still like the interaction that this map creates, but would probably try to rework the Africa rule. There are two weaknesses of the current version: on the one hand, it is relatively complicated and hence error prone; on the other hand, I find it is imbalanced against France. If Britain commits his fleets against France, then France needs help either from Turkey or Germany.

I'd also join another game with whatever rules the mod chooses.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2015, 05:31:44 am »

When Britain stabbed Germany, faust and ADK formed an alliance with Turkey but didn't push him to attack Russia. ADK essentially stopped the attack on Turkey without asking for anything in return. I wonder if Hydrad would have attacked Russia if they had asked him to.

I'm not actually sure what I would have done there either. If they gave me an ultamatum like hit russia with this move or we know you aren't with us the I would of had to make a choice instead of just kinda sitting and waiting.

Theres a chance that I would of hit russia at the beginning as it looked like we would be able to hold out much longer then I thought.

But then again I may have done something like told russia i was going to hit him and what moves I was going to do so that he could try to lower the damage taken and I could still ally with him.

but then there is also the risk that I may have sided with russia right away and just solidified the death of italy/germany.

I'm actually not even sure what I would do in that situation.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 20 queries.