Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Preview: Giant  (Read 58345 times)

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Giant
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2015, 11:30:38 pm »

If you can't play Giant more than once a turn, it's probably not worth going for, I think. Just like if you can't play a Pillage a turn, it's probably a bad idea.
I disagree with both of these statements.

I said probably, and Stef himself doesn't like going for Pillage unless he can get them every turn usually, so I based it off of that.

Pillage is a very different concept, as a unique targeted hand attack.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2015, 01:44:05 am »

I take back what I said about Giant being slow. It's not so much slow as it is hign maintenance in order to receive the good part of the effect. The high maintenance is having to buy another Giant and play it every shuffle. If you have 2 Giants in your deck, you get the attack and +$5 every shuffle. It's really like, if you played a terminal Copper previously, you get +$5 and a strong attack.

So, to get the good effect every shuffle, you'd have to buy a second Giant, which is really a $5 Abandoned Mine. You know what though, if I have lots of actions to spare I can afford playing an Abandoned Mine every shuffle. The benefit of doing so is a +$5 spike and an attack that, depending on the board, may be very unlikely to whiff.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2015, 01:52:42 am »
+3

I'm not a fan of flipping the token first; I think it's counter-intuitive.

After further thought it probably is best the way it is - when you're adding up your coins, the way the token is signifies the effect you got last time you played it. Obviously it's harder to track if you have multiple cards flipping the token, but there you go.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2015, 01:32:24 pm »

Little late to the party, but I like the Attack on Giant a lot. It's a neat cross between a Curser and Trasher and still has some utility once the Curse pile is empty.  The Journey token is also a pretty cool dynamic.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2015, 09:00:19 pm »

Little late to the party, but I like the Attack on Giant a lot. It's a neat cross between a Curser and Trasher and still has some utility once the Curse pile is empty.  The Journey token is also a pretty cool dynamic.

I am *guessing* that Giant giving +$5 every other play could prove really important given the high price of some events and cards in the new set. It will be fun to see what other cards (or events?) use the Journey token and whether this affects the strength of Giant.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2015, 12:08:52 am »

It will be fun to see what other cards (or events?) use the Journey token and whether this affects the strength of Giant.

More than just affecting the strength of Giant, I think the existence of other cards that use the Journey token will really affect the complexity of Giant.
Given that if the token is the wrong way up this card is a 5-cost terminal copper, managing the token is going to be absolutely crucial to your success.

As it alludes to in the last paragraph of the preview, deciding which of two Journey token cards to use the strong side and which to use the weak side could become a very tricky decision.

This is assuming that other Journey token cards exist, but they must do or it would be called a Giant token, right?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2015, 12:14:00 am »

I hope there's a stronger card than Giant that uses the Journey token, say, Siege Engine. Sometime all you want a Giant for is to lumber along carrying the Siege Engine.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2015, 02:39:21 am »
+2

It will be fun to see what other cards (or events?) use the Journey token and whether this affects the strength of Giant.

More than just affecting the strength of Giant, I think the existence of other cards that use the Journey token will really affect the complexity of Giant.
Given that if the token is the wrong way up this card is a 5-cost terminal copper, managing the token is going to be absolutely crucial to your success.

As it alludes to in the last paragraph of the preview, deciding which of two Journey token cards to use the strong side and which to use the weak side could become a very tricky decision.

This is assuming that other Journey token cards exist, but they must do or it would be called a Giant token, right?
I'm guessing another Journey Token card will be the card that Draws 5 cards when Throned.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2015, 03:24:52 am »

And maybe this other card give the bonus when Journey Token is face down.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2015, 06:12:52 am »
+2

I would be surprised if other Journey cards didn't work exactly as Giant does, and weren't priced 5$+ too. If there are other cards that use the Journey token, then we can consider it as a storable resource, just as coin tokens are. The fact that Giant can be used as a terminal +1$, +1 Journey token gives us an idea of how good a Journey token is, especially given that only some cards (up until now, only Giant) can use that resource, which means that any benefit from it is delayed (compare Caravan and Laboratory), and might not see any at all.

I would be extra surprised if there was a card that gave a benefit when Journey Token is face down but not when it's face up.

I'm also prepared to be very embarrassed when all my predictions are proven wrong.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2015, 08:38:57 am »
+1

I haven't seen these other cards but Donald X. has told me that there is an event and another kingdom card that use the journey token. They won't be in random kingdoms together very often though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2015, 08:42:29 am »

I can't say what all the Journey things are, but my experience has been that you only want to use one of them if more than one is out, because they end up working at cross-purposes to each other.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2015, 10:56:08 am »

Everyone gets one Journey token. You can't gain multiple tokens.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2015, 01:36:17 pm »
+2

Everyone gets one Journey token. You can't gain multiple tokens.

What he meant though was gaining a use of the powerful giant play. When you play Giant for it's strong effect, it costs you a face-up Journey token. And you're limited to max 1 face-up Journey token at a time. Any card that can flip your journey token can basically be thought of as "gain a face-up journey token" (but still max 1).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2015, 05:17:55 pm »

I'm guessing another Journey Token card will be the card that Draws 5 cards when Throned.

I had assumed that was storyteller - certainly it won't always draw 5 cards when throned, but it easily could.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2015, 05:21:38 pm »
+1

I had assumed that was storyteller - certainly it won't always draw 5 cards when throned, but it easily could.

Storyteller could also easily draw 5 cards without being throned, and it could easily draw other amounts either way.  Doesn't make sense to give such a specific description for something so variable.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2015, 08:04:55 pm »
+1

By that notion, Cellar can also draw 5 cards when Throned. Heck, so can Smithy if you only have 5 Cards left in your deck.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2015, 08:25:24 pm »

His specific wording was that it draws you five cards when Throned, not that it can draw you five cards when Throned. And the fact that he specifically brought up Throne Room suggests that there's a reason it would draw 5 cards when Thrones but not when not Throned.

So yeah, it's not Storyteller. Meanwhile it's quite easy to conceive of a card using the Journey token mechanics we know that would always draw exactly five cards when Throned but not when played normally.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2015, 08:44:19 pm »
+2

Clearly he was talking about Cellar.  A bonus Cellar card ships with every Adventures set.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2015, 09:59:13 pm »
+7

Clearly he was talking about Cellar.  A bonus Cellar card ships with every Adventures set.

Now who's better, warehouse

Sten-Åke

• Swindler
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2015, 07:39:27 am »

It's an Attack type card even when it doesn't (can't) attack. Could you take advantage of it?
Has anyone tested how well the new reaction card caravan guard interacts with giant?

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2015, 08:44:43 am »
+1

It's an Attack type card even when it doesn't (can't) attack. Could you take advantage of it?

You can reveal on attack reactions to Giant's attack whatever the position of attacker's Travel token is, if that is what you are asking about.
Giant is actually not the first attack card which does not always attack (Minion, Pirate Ship, Rogue etc).

Has anyone tested how well the new reaction card caravan guard interacts with giant?

Caravan Guard does not interact with Giant in any special way: it is a soft counter to any attack. The better reaction to Giant's attack may be, say, Secret Chamber.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2015, 08:51:47 am »

You can reveal on attack reactions to Giant's attack whatever the position of attacker's Travel token is, if that is what you are asking about.
Giant is actually not the first attack card which does not always attack (Minion, Pirate Ship, Rogue etc).

Caravan Guard does not interact with Giant in any special way: it is a soft counter to any attack. The better reaction to Giant's attack may be, say, Beggar.

FTFY
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2015, 08:57:00 am »
+1

FTFY

Definitely not going to start an edge case war here.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2015, 09:04:00 am »

FTFY

Definitely not going to start an edge case war here.

What?  Giant is going to hit you no matter what you put there, and Silver is probably the best card to lose.  Beggar makes sure you don't get a Curse, and gives you a net gain in cards.  Secret Chamber might be able to put something you don't mind missing on top, but that's still either a Curse gain or a net loss in cards.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.