Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Preview: Giant  (Read 58594 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Giant
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 01:44:06 pm »
+37

Ummm, maybe I'm missing something, but how do you get the journey token in the first place?
You buy a copy of Adventures. It has 6 of them.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2015, 01:47:17 pm »
+2

You can also make your own with construction paper, scissors, a writing utensil, compass,  and straight edge.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 01:53:26 pm »

You can also make your own with construction paper, scissors, a writing utensil, compass,  and straight edge.
Journey token have a radius of pi.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 01:55:03 pm »
+3

Without specified units, so do all circular things.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 01:56:14 pm »
+1

The cursing part compares more to jester than other cursers. It's my favorite solution so far to what should a trashing attack do when it hits a card too weak or too strong to be fairly trashed.

Noble Brigand has a similar solution!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 01:57:07 pm »
+1

What I hope the +5 cards card is - $3 action
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face down, +4 cards. If it's face up, +1 card.

Too good? Could it even be balanced at 4? It's between a smithy and a moat, but it's better the first time you play it and moat gives you another effect. Also I think alternating is better than being constant, that is, giant would be worse if it gave 3 coins every time.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:58:50 pm by liopoil »

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 01:58:34 pm »

More great art also.

Looks like a pretty formidable giant, though his size might make him a little slow at times. But when one of his blows lands, look out!!

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 02:01:34 pm »
+2

Without specified units, so do all circular things.

Uh, that's not how circles work.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 02:08:32 pm »
+10

Without specified units, all things can have a radius of pi units.  Or a circumference of pi units.  Or a volume of pi units.  Or any other measurement of pi units, because we haven't defined what the unit of measurement is.
My opponent has more loot than me

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 02:10:41 pm »

What I hope the +5 cards card is - $3 action
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face down, +4 cards. If it's face up, +1 card.

Too good? Could it even be balanced at 4? It's between a smithy and a moat, but it's better the first time you play it and moat gives you another effect. Also I think alternating is better than being constant, that is, giant would be worse if it gave 3 coins every time.
A terminal Gold with an Attack every two plays would not get away with a $5 price tag.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 02:13:03 pm »
+2

This is just totally outclassed by the other cursers, right?

Giant is not usually a curser.  It's a trashing attack that gets to be a Curser if the trashing fails.

You understand my question well enough to answer it, but you'll spend time criticizing the way I posed it and forgo the time it takes to answer what I asked.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:57:18 pm by popsofctown »

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 02:18:08 pm »
+3

If your goal is to dish out curses regardless of anything else, yes it's outclassed.  But that's not the primary thrust of Giant's attack and so it's in a different category.

You may as well ask whether Jester is totally outclassed by other cursers, or whether Noble Brigand is totally outclassed by other junkers.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:19:48 pm by Gherald »

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2015, 02:22:34 pm »
+1

Am I the only one that saw the card art and immediately thought of Golden Axe?

Makes me think of the guy in the lower left here:

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »
+9

Actually, the Princess Bride is what came to my mind.

*plays Giant, gets $1*

"I did that on purpose. I don't have to miss."

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2015, 02:34:43 pm »

I'm trying to evaluate this thing. It's kinda hard. I guess it is probably not very strong for Big Money - better than nothing, sure, but $5 and the attack so little probably not enough to put it over whatever the average of best benchmark out of the other cards on the board is.

I really want to Throne the darn thing.

Uh, engines? This could definitely be the payload of an engine, though again, money isn't usually the thing you are hurting for. The attack, well it's good, but not that amazing, given you're only getting it half the time. Yeah, I suspect this will be medium-ish, but on the clearly weaker side of that. I could easily be way off on this one though.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2015, 02:40:37 pm »

This card, it's pretty slow if you just get a couple in a money-centric deck like you would a Militia. Worse, if it's attack gets blocked by Moat or Beggar or Watchtower, it's really a disaster. Well, at least you still get +$5, so it's good for spiking stuff (like those high cost cards and events in Adventures, which seem to be quite common).

But clearly, if you can play it fairly often it can be quite brutal. I think the dream is being able to play 2 of these each turn. That's +$6 and a nasty attack through 2 cards. Thinking about it like that, Giant fulfills 2 kinds of payload at once: big attack and big buying power. Seems pretty card efficient to me. It also doesn't necessarily lose its relevance if Curses run out, but can be worse than Knights if Curses are gone. Because of how many coins it produces, I think you can build a treasure-less engine that mainly relies on Giants for coin. I think that kind of engine will be very strong.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2015, 03:00:00 pm »

If your goal is to dish out curses regardless of anything else, yes it's outclassed.  But that's not the primary thrust of Giant's attack and so it's in a different category.

You may as well ask whether Jester is totally outclassed by other cursers, or whether Noble Brigand is totally outclassed by other junkers.
Jester is outclassed by other cursers, though, isn't it?  The other cursers are terminal, and are much better uses of your terminal action, even at 4$.  I don't think it's necessarily obvious to a new player that Jester is outclassed by other cursers, +2$ can be better than drawing two cards to compare with Witch, as one example.

I don't see how it's not a useful question.  Other curses challenge it for its disruptive role, for its role as a terminal, for its role as a 5$ purchase, and when the curse stack is empty they directly damage its functionality.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2015, 03:01:30 pm »
+3

Jester is outclassed by other cursers, though, isn't it?  The other cursers are terminal, and are much better uses of your terminal action, even at 4$.  I don't think it's necessarily obvious to a new player that Jester is outclassed by other cursers, +2$ can be better than drawing two cards to compare with Witch, as one example.

I don't see how it's not a useful question.  Other curses challenge it for its disruptive role, for its role as a terminal, for its role as a 5$ purchase, and when the curse stack is empty they directly damage its functionality.

Well in that case Giant outclasses lots of other Cursers, since it still does plenty for you when the Curse stack is empty.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »
+1

Also I think alternating is better than being constant, that is, giant would be worse if it gave 3 coins every time.

That's the case in the long run, but I think it's worth noting that it's just a terminal Copper the first time you play it, which is pretty relevant since that's the time when you would need the extra economy the most.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 03:31:09 pm »

Depends on the board as usual. If you buy a Fishing Village or Ironmonger on your first + play and then a KC, Prince, or Forge-as-only-trasher on your next + play, well that's something

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 04:04:38 pm »
+1

I'm trying to evaluate this thing. It's kinda hard. I guess it is probably not very strong for Big Money - better than nothing, sure, but $5 and the attack so little probably not enough to put it over whatever the average of best benchmark out of the other cards on the board is.

Uh, engines? This could definitely be the payload of an engine, though again, money isn't usually the thing you are hurting for. The attack, well it's good, but not that amazing, given you're only getting it half the time. Yeah, I suspect this will be medium-ish, but on the clearly weaker side of that. I could easily be way off on this one though.

It's gotta be TERRIBLE for BM. Imagine if it misses the shuffle. You're going to attack them like, what, a couple times before the game is over? The attack isn't even very devastating to BM.

I think it's got to be much better in engines... but still not great. It doesn't stack very well, I don't think, because you're still only getting the benefit every other time. I mean, how essential is Rogue for engines? Or ever? Because Rogue, similarly, can't just eat through their whole deck, because it has to gain stuff instead if it can. So it's a bit similar to Giant in that way. Giant will be better, but better than Rogue isn't such a high bar. Yeah, I'm not sold on this card. I think it's pretty weak, especially compared to other Cursers, and the other new stuff we're seeing.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 04:11:42 pm »
+1

It's gotta be TERRIBLE for BM. Imagine if it misses the shuffle. You're going to attack them like, what, a couple times before the game is over? The attack isn't even very devastating to BM.

I think it's got to be much better in engines... but still not great. It doesn't stack very well, I don't think, because you're still only getting the benefit every other time. I mean, how essential is Rogue for engines? Or ever? Because Rogue, similarly, can't just eat through their whole deck, because it has to gain stuff instead if it can. So it's a bit similar to Giant in that way. Giant will be better, but better than Rogue isn't such a high bar. Yeah, I'm not sold on this card. I think it's pretty weak, especially compared to other Cursers, and the other new stuff we're seeing.

Sure, I don't disagree with this. It is almost certainly better than Saboteur, at least. And I still guess the first one is better than silver for BM (and thus better than village, all those other do-nothings, etc. for BM). But really not better than that. IF you can play it a lot, the attack is devastating... but overall I think the card is weak.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 04:45:50 pm »

Whether Giant is mostly a curser or a trasher depends on the situation. Against a thick deck, it's mostly a curser, making the attack not much different from Witch. Against a thin deck, it's mostly a trasher, and the attack is comparable to Knight's (in some ways better, in some ways worse). But the attack only hits once every 2 plays. The average +$3 is better than Dame Sylvia's +$2, but maybe not better than Witch's +2 cards and Sir Destry's +2 cards. This makes me think that Giant will be weaker than those cards, unless there is some way to favourably manipulate the Journey token.

Being weaker than auto-buys doesn't say much about its power level though. I think it'll be good enough to run in the right situations, but not an auto-buy. I like that in a card.

Warwing25

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 04:54:38 pm »

This may be slow, but is it reasonable in a colony game to use duplicate to gain two giants in an engine. If so, it could be a pretty good synergy

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 05:00:13 pm »

This may be slow, but is it reasonable in a colony game to use duplicate to gain two giants in an engine. If so, it could be a pretty good synergy
I think if you want Giant in an engine, you surely want at least 2. Anything that helps with that is bound to be a good. So yeah Duplicate is relevant, and it's possibly more important to call Duplicate on a payload card like this than one like Jester or Rogue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.