Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19  All

Author Topic: Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance  (Read 218431 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance
« Reply #375 on: April 09, 2015, 07:34:48 pm »

Without the once per turn clause, possession +borrow is broken
Why? The if clause still prevents you from using it more than once that turn.

So what's the point of the "once per turn" clause here? Buying Borrow more than once per turn would make no sense anyway, since there's no Treasure cards that "draw" cards (and thus remove the -1 Card token) AFAICS. Is it just for clarity, or due to some unrevealed Adventures cards?

Without the "once per turn" clause the best strategy on a Borrow board would be for P1 to keep buying Borrow on T1 until his opponent either resigns or dies of despair.
That's more or less the reason. "Once per turn" was happening anyway (it's on Mission), and here was an Event that cost $0 and gave you your Buy back. LF complained that you could buy it repeatedly. So it says "once per turn." I did not realize that some people would read that as "every turn for the rest of the game."

Wait, so i don't get my buy back? But it says "once per turn" only after the +1 buy  :o

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 09, 2015, 07:39:35 pm »
+1

The token gives you an action when you play a card from that pile, and your Estates are not from that pile.

Yup, but if you're +1 Action token was on the estate pile...

That pile ain't yours, son!

Although you can't use lost arts to put an action token on the estate pile, it's at least possible that another card would allow you to do so. Nothing in the action token rules prevent it from being on the estate pile. Highly unlikely, though.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 09, 2015, 07:48:58 pm »
+1

So what's the point of the "once per turn" clause here? Buying Borrow more than once per turn would make no sense anyway, since there's no Treasure cards that "draw" cards (and thus remove the -1 Card token) AFAICS. Is it just for clarity, or due to some unrevealed Adventures cards?

Without the "once per turn" clause the best strategy on a Borrow board would be for P1 to keep buying Borrow on T1 until his opponent either resigns or dies of despair.
That's more or less the reason. "Once per turn" was happening anyway (it's on Mission), and here was an Event that cost $0 and gave you your Buy back. LF complained that you could buy it repeatedly. So it says "once per turn." I did not realize that some people would read that as "every turn for the rest of the game."

Wait, so i don't get my buy back? But it says "once per turn" only after the +1 buy  :o

Not quite clear what you're asking, you get +1 buy when you buy it, so you get your buy back. But I also am curious why the "once per turn" is not before the +1 buy. I guess it's just astetics, but it is a bit confusing if "once per turn" means "you can only buy this event once per turn."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 09, 2015, 08:00:07 pm »

Not quite clear what you're asking, you get +1 buy when you buy it, so you get your buy back. But I also am curious why the "once per turn" is not before the +1 buy. I guess it's just astetics, but it is a bit confusing if "once per turn" means "you can only buy this event once per turn."
You can only buy it once per turn. It's aesthetics. It was a question, which way to say it on the card, and you see what we picked.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 09, 2015, 08:27:37 pm »
+1

I figured that "Once per turn" was part of the effect you get on buying the event. It sits in the middle of the instruction, after all. So i assumed you could buy as many Borrows as you wanted (getting +1 buy each time), just that you would get the +$1only once, regardless of your -1 card token. Obviously that's not the case, as the "Once per turn" covers not only the entire effect (including the +1 buy), but the whole act of buying the card. Not that it played any different.

Maybe this clears up what i was getting wrong.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 09, 2015, 10:51:20 pm »

I figured that "Once per turn" was part of the effect you get on buying the event. It sits in the middle of the instruction, after all. So i assumed you could buy as many Borrows as you wanted (getting +1 buy each time), just that you would get the +$1only once, regardless of your -1 card token. Obviously that's not the case, as the "Once per turn" covers not only the entire effect (including the +1 buy), but the whole act of buying the card. Not that it played any different.

Maybe this clears up what i was getting wrong.

Yeah, it's not self-evident, but it's been discussed elsewhere in these previews. Luckily, there will be a rulebook and it will say stuff like this.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #381 on: April 10, 2015, 12:13:25 am »

The position of the "Once per turn" on the card makes it act much like a Reaction/Reveal card. You can physically Reveal Moat a thousand times to a single Attack, but only the first Reveal does anything. The same thing would happen with Borrow. You can Buy it repeatedly, but only the first Buy moves your -1 Card and gains you the $1.

[epiphany]

I just realized, as I was writing that, what Asper did with his Market Square/Borrow/Cultist/Watchtower... I wonder if all the Events will be a Once Per Turn type effect? Or can you double up on Expeditions to get +4 Cards your next turn?

I think I'm going to just order the box tonight. I'm ready.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 10, 2015, 12:54:24 am »

If you had $6 and 2 Buys, you could go on two Expeditions, and have 4 extra cards in your next hand. Or buy a Silver and one Expedition. And so on. Expedition itself just sits on the table with the kingdom cards, reminding you that you can do this this game.
My opponent has more loot than me

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 10, 2015, 01:22:23 am »
+1

I don't recall if this has been asked, but can you use Inheritance on Peddler if two other actions are in play?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 10, 2015, 01:30:21 am »
+3

I don't recall if this has been asked, but can you use Inheritance on Peddler if two other actions are in play?

You pay for Inheritance during your Buy phase, so I can't see why not.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 10, 2015, 04:32:58 am »

The position of the "Once per turn" on the card makes it act much like a Reaction/Reveal card. You can physically Reveal Moat a thousand times to a single Attack, but only the first Reveal does anything. The same thing would happen with Borrow. You can Buy it repeatedly, but only the first Buy moves your -1 Card and gains you the $1.

I figured that's how it was, but it's not. You can't even try to buy Borrow more than once per turn. That absolutely doesn't matter though, as both readings behave identical (apart from giving a "better" stalling excuse). So i guess  i'm totally overacting on the whole thing in the first place.

Edit: Non-native english issues with funny made up words.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:35:53 am by Asper »

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 10, 2015, 10:25:05 am »

I figured that's how it was, but it's not. You can't even try to buy Borrow more than once per turn. That absolutely doesn't matter though, as both readings behave identical (apart from giving a "better" stalling excuse). So i guess  i'm totally overacting on the whole thing in the first place.

The only practical difference would be that you could buy Mission just to spend 4 coins. That doesn't matter for currently known cards or events. If there was a card or event like Storyteller that activated in the Buy phase, it could matter. There would have to be no cards costing less than $4 that you want, and you don't want to use this "Buy-Storyteller" to draw that many cards (or whatever the effect would be).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 10, 2015, 01:04:34 pm »

The only practical difference would be that you could buy Mission just to spend 4 coins. That doesn't matter for currently known cards or events. If there was a card or event like Storyteller that activated in the Buy phase, it could matter. There would have to be no cards costing less than $4 that you want, and you don't want to use this "Buy-Storyteller" to draw that many cards (or whatever the effect would be).

Also possible things that trigger when you buy an event. There could be an event that simply gives bonus to buying other events this turn.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 10, 2015, 01:24:18 pm »

Also possible things that trigger when you buy an event. There could be an event that simply gives bonus to buying other events this turn.

Seems unlikely when the recommended maximum is 2 events.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 10, 2015, 01:54:43 pm »

Given that Events have come so late in the game, I think it's unlikely we'll see cards specifically referencing them; they'd need to have some neutral wording, in the manner of Messenger, something like "All buys this turn cost $1 less" or something.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 10, 2015, 01:59:17 pm »

For some reason, I was thinking 3 events in a game when I said that. Though even then it would be very unlikely.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 11, 2015, 08:50:46 am »

Given that Events have come so late in the game, I think it's unlikely we'll see cards specifically referencing them; they'd need to have some neutral wording, in the manner of Messenger, something like "All buys this turn cost $1 less" or something.

I really hope that if more expansions come out, that we get more in every one. Maybe 5 to 10. Now that they exist, they seem like an important part of Dominion, sort of like how Planeswalkers were introduced in Magic: The Gathering and now every expansion has at least one Planeswalker.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 11, 2015, 09:38:40 am »

I really hope that if more expansions come out, that we get more in every one. Maybe 5 to 10. Now that they exist, they seem like an important part of Dominion, sort of like how Planeswalkers were introduced in Magic: The Gathering and now every expansion has at least one Planeswalker.

I also thought of the comparison between Events and Planeswalkers. While existing stuff related to buys specify buying a card; there could be new stuff that interacts with buying events, or buying in general. In the same way, stuff that existed before which mentioned "target creature" can't affect planeswalkers, but new cards can. However, it seems less likely with Dominion, because MTG is designed to be played using cards that you choose to play with; while Dominion is designed to be played using random cards from all existing cards. This means that any card that references events isn't a good idea, because it's very likely that such a card will be in play when no events are.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 11, 2015, 04:34:29 pm »
+2

Events have a lot going for them. They can make a kingdom feel different in ways not known before, and for minimum space, need no additional material so they can effortlessly appear in any expansion, don't need an on-play effect glued on them to be useable, and as you never gain them, they allow more flexibility without getting in "strictly better" territory. I can not imagine Donald letting this design space just go to waste after one game.

Honestly, i am amazed how much Adventures contains. A shame i'll have to wait until September... Ah well, September 13 is my birthday, so this year will be easy for my family ;-)

Mr.Oatmeal

• Steward
  • ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 12, 2015, 09:55:00 pm »

I played a game the other day with inheritance and ironmonger, and I wanted to double check something. If I inherit Ironmonger, then one of my Ironmongers flips an Estate/monger, I get another action plus a card; The Estate/monger is now an action and victory card now, right?
If so, wow that's a fun interaction.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 12, 2015, 09:56:41 pm »

I played a game the other day with inheritance and ironmonger, and I wanted to double check something. If I inherit Ironmonger, then one of my Ironmongers flips an Estate/monger, I get another action plus a card; The Estate/monger is now an action and victory card now, right?
If so, wow that's a fun interaction.
Yes, the Estate is also an Action and so you get both bonuses.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 13, 2015, 11:20:28 pm »
+2

Band gives you benefits both from tokens on itself, and tokens on the card you play it as. You play Band as a specific card, which is from a specific pile.
This is kinda weird. It seems like BoM should not normally be looking at its own pile because you normally don't play BoM itself. Especially given that you've said things like this (hope I'm not taking it out of context):

I think the key difference is that to me, you cannot play a BoM (unless no cheaper cards are in the supply). When you (try to) play it is always something else that you played. You didn't play a BoM. Anything that cares about you playing a BoM does not see that you did; you played whatever you picked instead.

Or maybe the idea is just that the card you played is simultaneously "from" both the BoM pile and the pile of the card it's being played as? Like a multi-homed card?

At any rate, when you have your +1 Action token on the BoM pile and you use Throne Room to play a Band of Misfits as, say, Woodcutter, do you get +2 Actions (meaning the card was from the BoM pile both times it was played as Woodcutter) or just +1 Action (meaning it was from the BoM pile until it "became" Woodcutter, at which point it was no longer from the BoM pile)? Or something else?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 13, 2015, 11:37:46 pm »

I think one good reasoning for BoM's interaction with both +1 Action tokens is as follows.

When you play BoM, first you check whether the BoM pile has a +1 Action token.  If it does, the BoM card essentially becomes a card that reads:

+1 Action
<Text of BoM card>.

So you get any +1 Action before you even begin to read what the BoM card's text says.

Then you read what BoM says, and it says to play it as if it were a certain card from the supply costing less than it.  Okay, you pick that card.  If that card happens to have the +1 Action token on it instead, then you would get the +1 Action before beginning to read the text on that card.

Therefore, BoM can give you the +1 Action from either pile.

--
With Throne Room, it may be that when the +1 Action token is on BoM you only get it for the first TR play, as once BoM becomes the second card ("Until it leaves play"), it can't get the +1 Action for the second play. That'll need a FAQ or ruling clarification.
My opponent has more loot than me

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 14, 2015, 12:08:10 am »

BoM can be a confusing card. The +1 Action token thing makes perfect sense. I still don't agree with the whole Procession/BoM ruling, but hey, it's in the rule book so what can you do.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 14, 2015, 12:30:47 am »
+2

When you play BoM, first you check whether the BoM pile has a +1 Action token.  If it does, the BoM card essentially becomes a card that reads:

+1 Action
<Text of BoM card>.

So you get any +1 Action before you even begin to read what the BoM card's text says.
Ah, but the text on BoM is completely unlike the text on any other card. It's not really an "on play" instruction; it happens before you would be following the card's "on play" instructions, if it had any. It's comparable to Trader happening before a gain; it's a "would play" effect:
Treating it like Trader, when you *would* play Band of Misfits, you *instead* play another card. That happens *before* playing the card.

I think that's moot, though, because the presence of the +1 Action token doesn't actually modify the text of the cards; it just gives you +1 Action when you play (but before you start carrying out instructions on) a card that meets its criterion. The thing that's weird is that the game can ever catch you "playing" a BoM in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19  All

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.