Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19  All

Author Topic: Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance  (Read 218470 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2015, 02:03:59 pm »
+4

Does an Inherited Border Village force a gain of less than $2 when buying Estates (I would think so, but confirming nonetheless.)?
If that's what the Estate costs when you buy it then yes.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2015, 02:05:52 pm »

Inheritance's artwork is a bit similar to Inn (I mean, the landscape, colors). Interesting, thematically.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:09:03 pm by brokoli »

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2015, 02:08:47 pm »
+1

I love everything about Lost Arts. Especially the artwork. And I'm looking forward to putting my Action Token on Attacks. Familiar will make a splendid Village.
I don't think Familiar is a good target for Lost Arts though. Familiar is relatively expensive for that.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2015, 02:16:38 pm »
+5

Is there any reason why Inheritance is restricted to once per game?  Too much flexibility once your deck is full of Estates?
Suppose I have Estate token on Caravan. I King's Court an Estate. Then, I buy Inheritance again, and move it to a non-duration card. Rules issues...

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2015, 02:24:01 pm »
+2

So to clarify: If I transmute Estate-Scout do I gain Gold+Transmute? I suppose not, because the card is already in the trash when the second part of Transmute is resolved. However when I trash Estate-Fortress, it goes back to my hand, doesn't it?
If you Inheritance Scouts and then Transmute an Estate, it was an Action-Victory card, so you gain a Duchy and a Gold.
The rules for Band of Misfits say when you use Procession on it and play it as, e.g., Fortress, you "gain an Action card costing exactly $6 ($1 more than Band of Misfits, which has left play and so is no longer copying Fortress)." So there, you don't care about what a thing was at the time it was trashed, but what it is at the time you're evaluating the instruction.

But here, you say you do care about what a thing was when it was trashed.

What's the difference? Do you check costs at the time of evaluation, but types at the time of trashing?

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2015, 02:25:16 pm »
+1

Wait, so Events aren't cards, right? They're Events... which means they aren't affected by Possession's card gaining clause. So you could Borrow while Possessing somebody else's turn, and they'd have to pay it back for their turn. Cool.

Also, if you buy Mission in a turn you played Possession during, does that mean you can order the turns? So you could Possess them, then play your Mission turn, Possess them again and buy another Mission, and it would give you another turn because the previous turn was the opponent's, who was Possessed. Basically, an infinite combo, so long as you can both reliably play Possession and $4.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2015, 02:26:07 pm »
+1

I love everything about Lost Arts. Especially the artwork. And I'm looking forward to putting my Action Token on Attacks. Familiar will make a splendid Village.
I don't think Familiar is a good target for Lost Arts though. Familiar is relatively expensive for that.

I mean, if Familiar is in the Kingdom, I'm probably planning on buying it and spamming it. And I feel like I'd want my Action Token on a card I'll be playing a lot. And I can always move it once the curses run out. And if there are no other Villages, then it still doesn't seem that bad to me. (I also make no claims to give good strategy advice.)

But in general, there are other Attacks you want it on more, for sure. Non-terminal Goons or Mountebank seems like a no-brainer. (Could be nice on Giant, too.)

Some non-Attacks are also intriguing. Bridge and Monument come to mind. And draw-to-X.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2015, 02:29:07 pm »
+2

I mean, if Familiar is in the Kingdom, I'm probably planning on buying it and spamming it. And I feel like I'd want my Action Token on a card I'll be playing a lot. And I can always move it once the curses run out. And if there are no other Villages, then it still doesn't seem that bad to me. (I also make no claims to give good strategy advice.)

But in general, there are other Attacks you want it on more, for sure. Non-terminal Goons or Mountebank seems like a no-brainer. (Could be nice on Giant, too.)

Some non-Attacks are also intriguing. Bridge and Monument come to mind. And draw-to-X.

The thing is that you shouldn't be spamming Familiar that much.  I don't think I've ever gotten more than 3.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2015, 02:43:19 pm »
+1

The thing is that you shouldn't be spamming Familiar that much.  I don't think I've ever gotten more than 3.

If there's one key terminal then that's probably the best target but if there are multiples it's not a bad idea to turn a non terminal into a village if there isn't another. And over investing a little in something you'd already want multiples of isn't a bad idea. Of course it's all heavily board dependent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2015, 02:46:56 pm »
+1

And I feel like I'd want my Action Token on a card I'll be playing a lot.

That's almost true, but not quite. You don't necessarily want it on a card that you would be playing a lot anyways, you want it on a card that you will be playing a lot now that it actually has the token on it. Any terminal +3 cards is probably the best target, Smithy and Torturer seem like they would be particularly best because it's easy to gain many copies of the former, and the latter is something that you want to be easily spammable.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2015, 02:51:26 pm »
+8

Inheritance's artwork is a bit similar to Inn (I mean, the landscape, colors). Interesting, thematically.

Well, yeah, obviously Inn-heritance has to be similar to Inn. It is very innteresting, inndeed.

(not sure if I'm making the joke or explaining it though)
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

CavJes

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2015, 02:52:00 pm »

Oh, hey. I bet this was brought up yesterday, but Bridge and Highway don't reduce Event costs.

So you mean I can't ever Procession the Borrow I just bought from the Black Market deck into the last Inheritance in the pile to end the game?  ;)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2015, 02:53:32 pm »
+2

Unless your deck needs to play 5 different terminal Actions and Lost Arts is the only village, you almost always want your +1 Action token on something terminal. It's far more common to want to spam one particular terminal (Smithy, Merchant Ship, etc.) and then still have one Action left to play one copy of another (Militia, Moneylender, etc.). Or you can supplement that with some actual villages. This is just way more reliable than adding +1 Action to your villages and cantrips.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2015, 03:27:43 pm »
+1

Wee, i predicted the colored tokens would be put on supply piles to alter the cards from them. Also, Inheritence actually combos with Scout  :o

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2015, 03:32:47 pm »

Yeah, my original post was hasty. In retrospect there are much better options out there, as those who've already played with tokens have pointed out. It will definitely take a couple weeks of playing for me to start to figure out all the strategy that's there. This is going to be a humbling expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2015, 03:37:01 pm »
+1

I King's Court an Estate.

Yeah, with Adventures, you can now say "I King's Court an Estate."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2015, 03:40:21 pm »
+1

I King's Court an Estate.

Yeah, with Adventures, you can now say "I King's Court an Estate."

And even more significantly, "Hooray! I drew an Estate!"

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2015, 03:45:53 pm »
+2

"Hooray! I drew an Estate!"
It's all part of Donald's master plan to make Scout a thing
My opponent has more loot than me

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »

*ish too lazy to read the whole thread* So wait, with Borrow does this mean you get an extra coin in your buy phase in exchange for drawing one fewer card next turn? Or the whole game?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2015, 03:59:39 pm »

*ish too lazy to read the whole thread* So wait, with Borrow does this mean you get an extra coin in your buy phase in exchange for drawing one fewer card next turn? Or the whole game?
Next time you draw cards.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2015, 04:02:52 pm »

So it's a one-time thing, right? That's mostly what I was wondering. Is there any time when "next time you draw cards" wouldn't be cleanup phase?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2015, 04:07:56 pm »
+1

So it's a one-time thing, right? That's mostly what I was wondering. Is there any time when "next time you draw cards" wouldn't be cleanup phase?

With Borrow, there are probably a few edge cases (buy Farmland, trash Overgrown Estate?). Probably there will be other cards or events that use the –card token at other times.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2015, 04:08:34 pm »

If you bought a Rats and used Watchtower to trash it.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2015, 04:15:06 pm »

Aha. Or Cultist, that would work too. So the aim is to start the next turn with four cards, but there are ways of getting around that. And the token moves off the deck as soon as it's used.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2015, 04:19:21 pm »

Can you Inherit an empty pile?  It doesn't have an "if you do" clause about setting the card aside, but then again, you're not placing the token on the pile, you're placing it on the set-aside card, so I'm guessing you can't.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.