Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19  All

Author Topic: Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance  (Read 218457 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 10:23:30 am »
+3

I want this now

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2015, 10:23:53 am »

-1 card means that you draw one less card the next time you draw.  After that I assume it goes away.

But it says "once per turn," not "once."

The effect of buying it is to move your token. The token moving off when you draw would be a separate rule.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 10:25:09 am »

If I use Inheritance to set aside a card from a pile with a +1 Action token on it, does the estate get +1 Action? Or more fundamentally, does the additional action come solely from the token or does the token imbue the cards themselves with +1 Action?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 10:25:52 am »
+1

So Province on turn 1 is a thing now. I mean, technically it was as soon as Lost City was revealed, but now it's a thing in 2 player games.

How? Borrow only gives you the $+1 once per turn, that doesn't seem enough.

With Borrow and Baker, you're only getting up to $7.

EDIT: Saw Gendo's post now.  So many posts.  Posts.  Posts everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:30:37 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 10:26:48 am »
+9

Here are the beards we've all been waiting for!

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 10:27:07 am »
+3

To clear up some confusion on the -Card token, just think of it like this.  You're putting a "card" on top of your deck that just happens to be a token.  Whenever you draw this card, it's removed.  So Borrow doesn't stack.  There's only one -Card token on the deck ever.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 10:27:35 am »
+1

Borrow is a bit confusing with the -1 card token. So I borrow in one turn and have a 4-card hand next turn. If I borrow again next turn with the 4-card hand, do I have only have a 3-card hand next turn?

Lost Action was sort of expected, but I think it's something we all wanted to see. It's cool how you can rebuy the event to move the token around as needed.

Borrow is a bit stranger, but it's another way to even put openings like the Baker Token, plus you can borrow to not miss that key $5 or $3P on the second shuffle. Sounds good.

Inheritance, wow uh, that's quite the event.

The only effect Borrow has is to move the -1 card token to your draw pile (and give you +$1). You only have one -1 card token. The next time you draw, the first card you would draw is replaced with removing the token. It's like you draw the token because that's what's on top, then keep drawing like normal. So you get a 4 card hand if you would have gotten a 5 card hand. Next turn you'll get a 5 card hand unless you Borrow again.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 10:28:18 am »

I'm pretty sure the -1 card token goes away, as if you drew the token instead of a card. And, I really really love borrow. It's so great. Also combos with watchtower next turn and helps with perfect shuffle luck.

PPE sniped

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 10:29:28 am »
+28

OMG inheritance actually might combo with Scout. Let Scout draw $2 engine components that you start with 3 of, or turn your Estates into Scouts themselves, letting them draw themselves like we always wanted.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 10:30:02 am »
+1

How does the -1 Card token work with Venture and Loan? Do they fail to draw their Treasure?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 10:30:52 am »
+3

So, Borrow, or the way Donald is talking about it, makes me think that the token will leave your deck when you draw that next card. i.e. you get a 4 card hand 1 time for each use of Borrow. Does this mean that if someone buys a card from the Smithy stack on which I've put my +1 action token for Lost Arts, the token leaves that stack? That would seem to make LA way way worse though. So maybe, especially since nothing says they do, the tokens just always stay there until a card tells you to move them. But in that case, Borrow means you're drawing 4 card hands for the rest of the game, from just one use (of course, I guess after you use it the first time, you can use it every turn after for no penalty). Am I grokking this correctly?

Edit: And re-reading, I can't even get $1 per turn (without something to move my -1 card token somewhere else), just once total ever overall period.
"Once per turn" means you can only buy Borrow once per turn. When you do buy it, you get +1 Buy, and if your -1 Card token isn't on your deck, put it there and get +$1.

When you go to draw cards, if your -1 Card token is on your deck, you remove it in place of one of the draws.

The +1 Action token does not get removed by getting cards from the pile it's on.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 10:31:14 am »
+2

How does the -1 Card token work with Venture and Loan? Do they fail to draw their Treasure?

No, they draw the token away and then just keep going.  So they are actually great counters if you have one from some means other than Borrow.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2015, 10:32:33 am »

Digging cards draw/reveal until something specific happens, rather than drawing/revealing a set number of cards.  They would remove the token, and continue as usual.

What I'm curious about is Doctor; does it only reveal two cards after removing the token?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2015, 10:33:48 am »
+1

So Province on turn 1 is a thing now. I mean, technically it was as soon as Lost City was revealed, but now it's a thing in 2 player games.

How? Borrow only gives you the $+1 once per turn, that doesn't seem enough.

With Borrow and Baker, you're only getting up to $7.
Lost City adds a sixth Copper.

But even in solitaire, we can open $7 now... KC, or even Inheritance. But for 3- turn empty Supply I think the way to go is Stonemason/Inn/Catacombs. I'm not sure it's enough with the draw penalty though...

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2015, 10:35:17 am »
+3

The -1 card token goes on your draw pile, and the time you would draw a card, instead you just take the token off your draw pile. So if you would draw 5 cards, you draw 4 and remove the token. The Action token goes on a supply pile and is not affected by people buying cards from that pile.
And in fact the -1 Card token has text on it, you don't just need to consult the rulebook there. It says something like "When you would draw a card, remove this instead."

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2015, 10:36:21 am »
+7

If I put my "estate token" on scout, I will take lot of scouts in hand when I am playing scout. Yeah ! Ultimate Scout combo !

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2015, 10:37:34 am »

What happen when you put estate token on Sir Martin? (And ruins)?
What happen when the pile of knight or ruins run out?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2015, 10:37:53 am »

The -1 card token goes on your draw pile, and the time you would draw a card, instead you just take the token off your draw pile. So if you would draw 5 cards, you draw 4 and remove the token. The Action token goes on a supply pile and is not affected by people buying cards from that pile.
And in fact the -1 Card token has text on it, you don't just need to consult the rulebook there. It says something like "When you would draw a card, remove this instead."

What about revealing/looking at cards?

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 10:39:15 am »
+2

If I put my "estate token" on Baron...

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 10:40:03 am »
+4

If I use Inheritance to set aside a card from a pile with a +1 Action token on it, does the estate get +1 Action? Or more fundamentally, does the additional action come solely from the token or does the token imbue the cards themselves with +1 Action?
No, Lost Arts refers to the pile the cards were from. Estates are from the Estates pile (even your starting ones). The +1 Action is a thing that triggers when playing a card from the pile with the token on it.

monomandan

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 10:40:17 am »

I'm guessing that I could take 4 highways (or maybe some bridges) to collect my inheritance of three princely estates? Because that would be a huge move- not only get your estates out of your deck, but get 3 permanent actions as well.

Heisenberg

• Baron
  • I am the one who knocks!
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 10:40:58 am »
+1

Without the once per turn clause, possession +borrow is broken

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 10:41:35 am »
+4

The token only affects drawing, with the additional caveat that Envoy is misworded and does not draw those cards. So Venture for example works normally, and leaves the token on your deck (or, to handle it physically, you take the token off and then put it back, but in game terms it never left).

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 10:42:22 am »

Wait actually you could open Inheritance/Watchtower, turn your Estates into Processions, and I think that'd be enough?

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 10:43:20 am »

What about revealing/looking at cards?

The only time you would place that token on your deck is when you buy the event at the end of your turn, then it is removed immediately when you draw your cards for your next hand, so you would never have to reveal cards while the token is on your deck right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.