Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19  All

Author Topic: Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance  (Read 218132 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25649
    • View Profile
Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance
« on: April 03, 2015, 09:51:17 am »
+41

Here at last are tokens. They are used some by non-Events too, but today, three more Events. I like to have all of the cards in one preview have the same orientation.

Lost Arts produces a +1 Action token, which modifies a pile so that those cards give you personally +1 Action. Each player has their own token. Say you put the token on Smithy; for you, Smithy is +1 Action +3 Cards, but for everyone else, it's still +3 Cards (unless they also put their token on Smithy). For example. So uh there's probably something good you can do with that. That Smithy example doesn't sound half-bad. The token on Smithy affects all of the Smithies you have, and any Smithies you get later; it's just a different card for you. It's like a giant pile of Villages that are always there when you need them for a particular action, for a one-time payment of $6 and a Buy. You are probably wondering, is there also a +1 Buy token, a +1 Card token, a +$1 token? Yes, of course there are those too.

Borrow shows off a minus. There are just -1 Card and -$1; -1 Action and -1 Buy would be no fun. Borrow gives you an extra +$1 this turn, but you'll draw one less card the next time you draw cards, that's what that -1 Card thing is about. You get one less card the next time you'd draw any cards, any which way; for Borrow though that's probably when you draw your next hand. So, four cards that turn instead of five, and well make sure it's worth it. You don't want an endless spiral of debt, where you Borrow turn after turn. -$1 meanwhile (not pictured - well neither one is pictured, but you know what I mean) just reduces how many coins you make by $1 the next time you make any. The minus tokens are used on a few cards each, sometimes to give to yourself and sometimes to make other players take them.

Inheritance is maybe the strangest thing in Adventures. Your Estates turn into another card. Again that's Estates you already have, and any new ones you buy. You put the token on say a Village; now your Estates are cards that cost $2 and are worth 1 VP and are Action-Victory cards and can be played for +1 Card +2 Actions. It is a great feeling when you're staring at your hand and it sucks and then you remember, oh yeah, these Estates are Villages, this hand is awesome. You actually set aside a card with the token, rather than just putting it on a pile, because Dominion has crazy stuff like the Knights from Dark Ages. Lost Arts can give all of the Knights +1 Action for you, but when your Inheritance is Sir Martins, your Estates are all Sir Martin, they aren't any other Knights. And if that's not clear, there's a lengthy FAQ.

That's it for previews, except for the other preview for today, if you haven't seen that one yet. Go see it (if it's not up yet this may take a while). Okay so. That's it for previews. You've seen 20 cards out of 58; there are still 17 more kingdom cards, 14 more Events, 7 more things that Page and Peasant turn into, and 2 mysterious tokens. No doubt someone will post the rest of the set once people have it. We are expecting the set out April 18th and well someone will keep us posted if that changes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:57:30 am by theory »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1854
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 09:53:19 am »

amazed

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 09:58:07 am »
+4

This changes everything.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:59:04 am »
+9

Oh man I'd forgotten about Inheritance amazingly enough. Definitely the most bizarre thing to happen to Dominion. (Since Bazaar). I don't think I ever had a chance to use it, but I spent several minutes just assuming that either JSH or Donald was trolling us.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:59:48 am »
+2

So Province on turn 1 is a thing now. I mean, technically it was as soon as Lost City was revealed, but now it's a thing in 2 player games.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:05:49 am »

These events add another layer of depth to the game. This can only be good for Dominion, really looking forward to these.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:06:37 am »
+3

Inheritance: "Why did I just buy an Estate for $6 on turn 6?!"
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 10:08:27 am »
+4

So if I buy both Inheritance and Lost Arts calling the same action card, do I get +1 action when I play my Estate?

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:08:58 am »
+1

I am guessing that the +1 action token is no longer effective once the supply pile you put it on its empty (a la band of misfits)? Or is it viable for the rest of the game, regardless?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:32 am »

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:41 am »
+8

So if I buy both Inheritance and Lost Arts calling the same action card, do I get +1 action when I play my Estate?
No. Your Estates aren't from that pile.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:59 am »
+8

I am guessing that the +1 action token is no longer effective once the supply pile you put it on its empty (a la band of misfits)? Or is it viable for the rest of the game, regardless?
The token works even if the pile is empty, and can be put on an empty pile.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:57 am »
+1

So, Borrow, or the way Donald is talking about it, makes me think that the token will leave your deck when you draw that next card. i.e. you get a 4 card hand 1 time for each use of Borrow. Does this mean that if someone buys a card from the Smithy stack on which I've put my +1 action token for Lost Arts, the token leaves that stack? That would seem to make LA way way worse though. So maybe, especially since nothing says they do, the tokens just always stay there until a card tells you to move them. But in that case, Borrow means you're drawing 4 card hands for the rest of the game, from just one use (of course, I guess after you use it the first time, you can use it every turn after for no penalty). Am I grokking this correctly?

Edit: And re-reading, I can't even get $1 per turn (without something to move my -1 card token somewhere else), just once total ever overall period.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:16:28 am by WanderingWinder »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 10:12:11 am »
+3

That Borrower is like, so psyched to be borrowing.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 10:13:31 am »

So Province on turn 1 is a thing now. I mean, technically it was as soon as Lost City was revealed, but now it's a thing in 2 player games.

How? Borrow only gives you the $+1 once per turn, that doesn't seem enough.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 10:14:39 am »

So, Borrow, or the way Donald is talking about it, makes me think that the token will leave your deck when you draw that next card. i.e. you get a 4 card hand 1 time for each use of Borrow. Does this mean that if someone buys a card from the Smithy stack on which I've put my +1 action token for Lost Arts, the token leaves that stack? That would seem to make LA way way worse though. So maybe, especially since nothing says they do, the tokens just always stay there until a card tells you to move them. But in that case, Borrow means you're drawing 4 card hands for the rest of the game, from just one use (of course, I guess after you use it the first time, you can use it every turn after for no penalty). Am I grokking this correctly?

I'm having the same issue as WW. My reading of Borrower would make it seem like the penalty kicks in every turn, especially since the Lost Arts token just sits there forever.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:10 am »
+4

-1 card means that you draw one less card the next time you draw.  After that I assume it goes away.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:36 am »
+10

How? Borrow only gives you the $+1 once per turn, that doesn't seem enough.

Start with 5 Copper hand. Opponent opens Lost City, Draw Copper #6. $1 from Baker token, $1 from Borrower.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 10:16:10 am »
+2

-1 card means that you draw one less card the next time you draw.  After that I assume it goes away.

But it says "once per turn," not "once."

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 10:16:47 am »
+6

Adventures has several design themes, but to me the most significant one is what's seen here: customization and creativity.  We saw it a bit with some of the previous cards, but what this set does so well is make you think of a wacky way to play the game your own way.  Maybe you make your own Smithy variant that gets +Action, maybe you have inherited Conspirators, maybe you come up with some crazy Estate pile out with Messenger.  Adventures opens up the doors to higher level thinking in a big way.

Buy Adventures today!  Mention my name and get a .0000001% discount.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 10:20:28 am »
+10

The -1 card token goes on your draw pile, and the time you would draw a card, instead you just take the token off your draw pile. So if you would draw 5 cards, you draw 4 and remove the token. The Action token goes on a supply pile and is not affected by people buying cards from that pile.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 10:21:18 am »
+1

May I move my "+1 action token" buying Lost Arts again later or my token is on my pile for the rest of the game ?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 10:21:28 am »
+3

But it says "once per turn," not "once."

All the events that start with "Once per turn:" mean that you are only allowed to buy that event once per turn. Nothing to do with the effect.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 10:22:21 am »
+5

May I move my "+1 action token" buying Lost Arts again later or my token is on my pile for the rest of the game ?

You can buy it again to move it again. Unlike Inheritance, which says "once per game." That one is a permanent decision.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 10:23:12 am »

Borrow is a bit confusing with the -1 card token. So I borrow in one turn and have a 4-card hand next turn. If I borrow again next turn with the 4-card hand, do I have only have a 3-card hand next turn?

Lost Action was sort of expected, but I think it's something we all wanted to see. It's cool how you can rebuy the event to move the token around as needed.

Borrow is a bit stranger, but it's another way to even put openings like the Baker Token, plus you can borrow to not miss that key $5 or $3P on the second shuffle. Sounds good.

Inheritance, wow uh, that's quite the event.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.