Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Blackrock Mountain Adventure Discussion  (Read 11503 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Blackrock Mountain Adventure Discussion
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:18:14 pm »

(Since the other thread has discussion of the new cards in constructed and arena, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread specifically for discussing the adventure.)

Mage class challenge is fun.

Post your strategies for the heroic bosses.

Decks: http://imgur.com/a/7vDiQ

Grim Guzzler -- Mage, many cheap spells, handful of hard-hitting late game drops. Survival spells: Mirror Image, Ice Barrier, Frost Nova, Ice Block. Won first try despite drawing Antonidas in hand. Ragnaros is great here, too bad there's only one of him in the game.

Dark Iron Arena -- Only deck that didn't work first try, but I was lucky enough to win second try. The archetype is Ultra-Miracle Druid, to exploit Millhouse Manastorm. Problem is that Auctioneer needs to be in hand with enough mana when Millhouse is played, but if Millhouse is played too late, I'm already dead. When things line up, just cycle through deck to play double FoN double Roar.

Emperor Thaurissan -- Bloodlust Shaman, first try win. Thaurissan didn't play any removal. The only problem was him dropping an Abomination just before my Bloodlust turn, but enough survived for lethal anyway.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Mountain Adventure Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:02:03 pm »
+1

First one: Got it on the first try with Priest with Resurrect, Divine  Spirit+Inner Fire, and tons of expensive minioons
Second one: Took me a lot of tries with Double Force+Savage Roar, and Nourish, Starfall, and wrath for draw on the Millhouse turn

Didn't do the third yet.

EDIT: Ok, did the third one with a pretty standard priest with sludge belchers replaced by crazed alchemists. Once the 3/1 is a 1/3, it's kinda easy I even BM killed his wife on the last turn^^
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:26:26 pm by Watno »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:42:13 am »

Grim Guzzler - Mage with all the freeze cards, big taunts, Mirror Image, Annoy-o-tron, and general fatties. Got it first try, 2 Frost Novas + hit face with all the summoned big creatures

Dark Iron Arena - I used the same Mage stall deck with some bias towards early game, Kirin-Tor Mage + Mirror Entity. I reset until the bot got Lorewalker Cho and I got Mirror Image. I manipulated the bot into playing Mirror Image a lot, while trying to get him to have 0 attack on board so I could win off fatigue. I didn't get all the way to 0, but I did get
to 5 mirror taunts, Cho, and a 1/1. Unfortunately the bot drew Flame Leviathan...but luckily the bot still played Mirror Image, so I had some time. I had enough freeze from Lorewalker Cho to stall until I drew Blizzard, then killed him over 2 turns by Blizzarding away all the taunts.

Emperor - A standard Priest deck, lots of healing and a few gimmicks. Got it first try with Priest - Power Word Shield on Wife turn 1, Lightwell turn 2, Inner Fire turn 3. Lightwell and Northshire Cleric drew me enough draw to keep going, a Cabal let me steal an Axe Flinger, and the AI never had an answer to my Lightwell so I hit for 5 every turn.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:34:12 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:50:36 am »
+1

Mage class challenge is fun.

<3 Millhouse

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 02:18:29 am »
+1

I only play the adventures as Priest, with every card that steals cards there is, so I can use the fun AI exclusive cards.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:41:23 am »

Grim guzzler I went Paladin for healing, buffing and resurrection spells then loaded up on huge minions and mulligan end them out of hand.

Dark iron face hunter rush

Emperor face hunter rush no taunts or traps.

Same thing for the heroics. Wing 1 was depressingly easy. Heroic emperor took me a few tries and revisions.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 01:33:18 pm »

Both the Mage and Hunter class challenges were a blast. I did both several times just for fun. It's cool to play with cards that I wouldn't include in a constructed deck and only rarely get to see even in Arena.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 07:25:17 pm »

Second Wing Heroics
Garr: Mass Dispell is pretty good. Add some healing and Divine Spirit/Inner Fire to finish him off
Baron Geddon: Ramp Druid: play on curve, getting a huge board, combo ftw, hope you don't get the card where you have to kill your minion or lose be played against you.
Majordomus: Didn't get that one yet, think I'll try to mill him.

EDIT: Got them all now, needed quite a while for the last one though.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:02:45 pm by Watno »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 09:08:47 pm »

Apparently people found Garr the hardest, which surprises me, because I got him on the first try with a strategy that seemed pretty obvious to me.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 09:37:40 pm »

I got Garr Heroic first try. I tried Baron Geddon and Majordomus with stock decks I have and didn't beat them.

Garr: Lightwell + Inner Fire on turn 3 carried me through the whole game. Basically got a few really fat minions since it looks like Garr has no hard removal, then used Hero Power + minions in play to make sure the minion deaths were staggered out.

Baron Geddon: Mech Priest saves the day. Got some guys to stick, drew on curve, a Northshire I drew late game helped save me from some hits. I made it out with 1 health.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:50:34 am by Titandrake »

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 10:55:12 pm »

Second wing: difficulty-wise, I found this week to be harder than the first, and individually Geddon > Majordomo > Garr.

Garr: Low-curve Warrior that finishes with a big Frothing Berserker. IIRC, only one attempt required.
Geddon: Demonlock is the key here. Sacrificial Pact is a star card to kill living bombed guys and Geddon's demons. Hero power helps fully utilize mana early, and Mal'Ganis protects your hero later on. Even with this idea, Geddon took multiple tries. I think the deck could be optimized to be pretty reliable though. I tried a bunch of other ideas first and they all utterly failed.
Majordomo: I think the important ideas here are Equality-Consecration to clear the Molten Giant spam, minions that deal efficiently with the 3/3s (Sunwalker is great), and lots of small bodies to absorb Ragnaros's hero power. Redemption is pretty good with Sunwalker. In my winning run, Ragnaros bugged out and never used his hero power, but I think I might have been able to win anyway.

Decks: http://imgur.com/spo24bp,f6TVPbh,8yuQwkW#0

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 03:05:52 pm »

I am appreciating the difficulty of the wing 2 bosses, heroic anyhow. The base versions were stupidly simple. Garr remains stupidly simple even in heroic.

Baron and Domo are both confounding me so far. I'm not cheating and looking at anyone else's success yet, though.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 03:50:28 pm »

I am appreciating the difficulty of the wing 2 bosses, heroic anyhow. The base versions were stupidly simple. Garr remains stupidly simple even in heroic.

Baron and Domo are both confounding me so far. I'm not cheating and looking at anyone else's success yet, though.
I'm losing to the base forms a lot :( I happened to pick facehunter against whirlwind guy first and pentuple molten giant got me against exetus

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 08:53:19 pm »

Got Baron with a warlock deck centered around power overwhelming and void terror for dealing with bombs and void caller Malganis for playing out of curve. Then it was demo heart and demon fire for buffing Malganis and the void terror creations to keep them on the board. I used cold light and acolyte to get the needed cards in hand. I had shadowflame on hand for bomb removal but never needed it although I think it is a wise card to carry.

At this point I am not sure I have enough key cards to do in a heroic Ragnaros.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 09:36:37 pm »

It seems like heroic Majordomo has a bug: If you use Bane of Doom to kill Majordomo, you win automatically and skip the Rag phase.

People are speculating that the bug will be fixed soon, whether you want to cheese it is up to you.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 10:35:52 pm »

So, Rag really is supposed to use his hero power? In both heroic and non-heroic, he never used it.

Against Garr: Typical Priest deck with Mass Dispel. Drew both Mass Dispels, leading to an easy win.
Against Geddon: A really weird Demonlock-ish deck I can't even describe. It's attached to this post, so you can see for yourself. The deck doesn't even seem to follow a good curve, but it's heavily skewed towards higher mana cards to have a mana sink. I used Owls, Void Terror, and Sacrificial Pact to deal with the bomb spell. I can't recommend keeping the Doomguards. I got really lucky with a big-buffed Floating Watcher and Antima Golem for extra damage. I even stole a Molten Giant with Sylvanas at some point.
Against Majordomo: I won with the Paladin deck I use in constructed, which is all about maximizing the number of minions on the board and stickiness. I had enough tokens to take out quadruple Molten Giants with Equality. Rag's hero power never fired, but as Paladin I think I could have powered through it anyway.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 09:25:48 am »

It seems like heroic Majordomo has a bug: If you use Bane of Doom to kill Majordomo, you win automatically and skip the Rag phase.

People are speculating that the bug will be fixed soon, whether you want to cheese it is up to you.

That seems like a pretty specific win condition that could be tough to actually pull off.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 08:25:09 pm »

Got Majordomo: First try with my randomly thrown together Priest deck. Basically, I got him to burn all his removal on Soulpriests and Northshire Clerics, then got a Lightwarden and Lightwell in play with Velen's Chosen and Power Word Shield on the Lightwarden. An Inner Fired Lightwell let me deal with the 3/3 every turn while buffing the Lightwarden, and the cards I drew let me deal with the other minions he played. In the end, I got a 60 attack Lightwarden with 10 health, and it let me win as long as Rag didn't hit Lightwarden twice in the same turn.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 07:59:48 pm »

Wing 3 had the first encounter where i felt the need to buil a special deck for normal mode (the guy where everything costs only 1).
The priest challeneg against the same guy is a joke if you get Alex in your starting hand.

Heroics felt pretty tough, but I got I got them all:
Omok: unter with tons of Deathrattles, especially those spawning tokens, like haunted creeper, harvest Golem, shredder and Savannah Highmane
Drakkisath: basically the most expensive cards I have. Once I got Khel'thuzad on the board and surviving a couple of turns I won. Note that Thaurissan doesn't work
Rend: Handlock without the hand part :P :Chows, Ancient Watchers, Img Gang Bosses, Sunfuries, Argusses, Molten Giants, Hellfire and Shadowflame, healbots and earthen rings were the key cards

All of these took me a couple of tries to get lucky enough.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 11:38:38 pm »

Rragh! I finally beat all the 3 Heroic bosses for Wing 3. It feels like they really amped up the difficulty this week. Drakkisath was particularly stupid. 2 Flamestrikes, 2 Twisting Nethers, 2 Sprints, 2 Kidnappers. Sprint into Kidnapper? Loatheb's effect doesn't work. You basically have to count on the boss making stupid plays to pull through. I think Drakkinash also gets The Coin but never uses it due to the hard mana cap.

Omok: My Muster/Quartermaster style Paladin deck with all sorts of sticky minions like Haunted Creeper, Harvest Golem, and the pilots. An Equality/Consecration really helped control the board.
Drakkisath:Pay-to-win anyone? I used Priest mainly for Mind Control. Resurrect, Lightbomb, and SW:Death might also be worth it. Besides that, I used whatever high level cards I could find. I was hoping Mind Control Tech and big taunts (Sludge Belcher and Sunwalker) would be useful, but it seems like if you need to rely on those you've already lost. I won through Temple Enforcers that soaked up Kidnapper while helping out my big guys, followed by some lucky steals with Mind Control and Sylvanas. The boss eventually ran out of cards, and neither MCT nor the taunts were relevant.
Rend:Similar deck as Watno's, but without the Shadowflame and Molten Giants (I don't have Moltens). Along with Imp Gang Boss and the taunt givers, I threw in Explosive Sheeps, Kodos, Grim Patron, and Sea Giant. Rend has a lot of those cost-reduction-per-death cards, so you ideally want to board clears to happen on your turn. I was lucky to steal  a 9/9 Drakonid with Sylvanas.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 11:48:19 pm »

Drakk and Blackhand are stupidly hard this week.

Omokk: I did this with an infinite damage combo Mage, the kind that duplicates Sorcerer's Apprentice twice, plays Thaurissan, then does an Antonidas+4xApprentice turn to spam infinite fireballs. Maybe it's not a very good strategy, since you need to draw most of your deck to have the combo, and if you can do that, might as well just play Fatigue Mage and win that way. But this is a relatively forgiving encounter.

Drakk (aka RIP F2P): I can't imagine what the devs had in mind here. I found the KT+faceless+taunt+luck strategy that a lot of people seem to do. The problem is that Drakk potentially has answers for everything. If KT is removed before you play Faceless, that's game. Twisting Nether at any point is also game. Plus you need exactly the right cards in your opener.

A strategy I really really wanted to work here was a Mage with 2 Doomsayers and no other minions. Whenever Drakk plays Mindgames, it removes his board the next turn. This is so, so close to working, but the available mass freezing isn't quite enough to survive all the way to fatigue. I think that if you played enough games with this strategy, it could work, because you are very reliant on when Drakk plays Mindgames, which is basically random.

Blackhand: I went with a lowish-curve Priest. Blackhand is actually not very dangerous if you can build a board against him, because his deck is mostly not OP, except for the 1 mana destroy-a-legendary. The problem is that his hero power spams out a board ridiculously fast, so if you don't get a near ideal opener, you die. Zombie Chow, BGH, Deathlord are some good neutrals here. Holy Nova is nice for clearing the swarm of 2/2s, if you can survive to turn 5.

Decks: http://imgur.com/mmvqzcT,P8jFJmd,JNvaMWe#0

IMO the Drakk and Blackhand heroics were not very fun. I'm interested to know whether there are consistent decks for those encounters, because to me they felt way too fast to do much.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 03:37:14 am »

Fun idea from Kripp's stream: complete the Mage class challenge by fatigue. (You're not allowed to hit face.) I gave this a shot and the AI bugged out, not playing cards for a bunch of turns, which milled some with Pagle's help and made it pretty easy. A more strict-mode challenge would also prohibit milling cards.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 04:50:06 pm »

Omokk: Druid mill fatigued him to death. Otherwise super tough. Used a modified netdeck that gave me the inspiration but I didn't have half the cards (namely tree of life).

Drakk: Priest with my only minion as Majordomo. He pulls Shadow Madness and I toast Domo making Rag the new hero with only 8 health to burn through. Otherwise, impossible win without a library full of legendaries I don't have. Mind control and resurrect were star cards.

Rend: Classic deathlord priest heal lightbomb deck.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 07:39:53 pm »

Omokk: Druid mill fatigued him to death. Otherwise super tough. Used a modified netdeck that gave me the inspiration but I didn't have half the cards (namely tree of life).

Drakk: Priest with my only minion as Majordomo. He pulls Shadow Madness and I toast Domo making Rag the new hero with only 8 health to burn through. Otherwise, impossible win without a library full of legendaries I don't have. Mind control and resurrect were star cards.

What happens to everyone's mana after Drakk is replaced with Rag? Maybe they intended this battle to only be reasonably beatable through that gimmick.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 02:30:20 am »

What happens to everyone's mana after Drakk is replaced with Rag? Maybe they intended this battle to only be reasonably beatable through that gimmick.
The mana goes back to normal. This bit me when I tried a Majordomo strat, because I couldn't manage the necessary 8 face damage before dying. I gave up on that approach when I found that out, but I guess I should have tried harder.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.