Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Previews #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission  (Read 79972 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2015, 12:15:53 am »
+5

Also, we now have Trade, Trader, Trade Route, Trading Post, Horse Traders, and Jack of all Trades.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2015, 05:00:56 am »
+1

So, as a mental exercise, I am trying to work out the cost of an event that gives +1 Buy.

The answer I get so far is that it depends on the Kingdom.

My actual answer is 2 but I'm not sure.

Mole5000

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2015, 05:10:34 am »

TradeKevin:
This would be totally broken at 3. Most likely just too strong at 4. I feel like it's going to be pretty weak at 5. I mean, the issue is, you have to have the cards in your hand. Maybe it is good for terminal-draw BM? Yes, probably - turning 2 estates into silvers is going to be better than gold pretty much every time. An estate and a copper into silvers has to be as well. Two coppers? Well, now you need to have $7 (you need to hold the coppers back), which is asking a lot. Better than gold in a BM deck.... mmm, probably not. How about in engines? Sure, if you can't otherwise trash, or if you have cards that have outlived their usefulness (trashers say), turning them into silvers is a pretty sleek way to upgrade (not the card necessarily) your economy. So I guess this is reasonably solid anyway. Another role player, probably better for Big Money than engines, because in engines you'll so often want a 5-cost instead. Yeah.

I think Kevin will be a situational card for the late-building phase of engines - for those turns where it's not quite all together but you have a lot of draw yet somehow you've wiffed and missed your good stuff cards (+Buy, Trash for Benefits) cards and normally you'd sigh but now you'd still sigh but not as loud and use Kevin to get rid of the last Estate and Copper in your deck.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2015, 05:15:46 am »
+5

So, as a mental exercise, I am trying to work out the cost of an event that gives +1 Buy.

Ruined Event? :)

Buying the event costs a buy so you probably mean +2 buys and yes I think you're right. $1 would be too cheap and $3 too expensive.
Join the Dominion League!

Mole5000

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2015, 06:00:02 am »

Ruined Event? :)

Buying the event costs a buy so you probably mean +2 buys and yes I think you're right. $1 would be too cheap and $3 too expensive.

Errr, yes, +2 Buys  ;D (Attention to detail like that is why -Stef- is a top player and I am not!)

If you added the restriction "Once per Turn" you could make an argument for it to be 1.  I don't know if it would be a good argument but making it non-spammable would reduce the power.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2015, 06:22:32 am »

I feel like $2 unlimited would be better than $1 once-only. There are diminishing returns, after all; making it possible to get to the often-sufficient two buys whenever you have just $1 to spare would really hurt the use of other +Buy cards.

Existing cost-reducers like Highway don't work on Events, right? That probably helps things, although they nonetheless synergize with more buy sources.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2015, 12:14:38 pm »

Mission triggers at the end of YOUR turn, right?  I thought it was possible to pin people in multiplayer but I think I just misunderstood when it triggers.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2015, 12:58:56 pm »

I saw that post before you deleted it, Mole5000.  I saw it!

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2015, 01:08:08 pm »

Question for playtesters: did any of you have to gradually warm up to events? Because I'm a little iffy about the whole idea.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2015, 01:13:50 pm »

Question for playtesters: did any of you have to gradually warm up to events? Because I'm a little iffy about the whole idea.

I think like the day Donald came up with them they were available to test.  It's a lot easier to adjust to the idea in-game.  Also, some of the effects of Events were once on older cards in a less intuitive fashion, so it just felt like a natural evolution of them.  I would suggest making the judgment after you play with them.  They add a nice bit of spice to the game.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2015, 02:20:34 pm »
+1

Question for playtesters: How did you playtest this expansion? Did you just pick 10 Kingdoms out of the 235 (I thought it was 236, but others say 235) Kingdom cards, and keep doing that until the new cards came up? Did you start with Base+Adventures? Adventures alone? Did you go "I think this combo has potential/is broken" and pick a kingdom to test that idea?

I'm trying to figure out how best to learn this expansion myself when I can get my hands on it.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2015, 02:27:15 pm »

They really aren't all that different than just having an extra kingdom card or two. Some of them are a bit wacky but so are some kingdom cards. I like them enough to always put out two. More choices for the game really adds to the strategic amd tactical depth.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2015, 02:39:56 pm »
+1

Question for playtesters: How did you playtest this expansion? Did you just pick 10 Kingdoms out of the 235 (I thought it was 236, but others say 235) Kingdom cards, and keep doing that until the new cards came up? Did you start with Base+Adventures? Adventures alone? Did you go "I think this combo has potential/is broken" and pick a kingdom to test that idea?

I'm trying to figure out how best to learn this expansion myself when I can get my hands on it.

For me the most common thing was to play with 5 cards from Adventures and 5 cards from all the other expansions combined. I almost always used 2 events.
Sometimes we played with 10 Adventures cards and 2 events.

And I must admit I didn't realize the "specify 2 events setting right away" so I also accidentally played a bunch without events.
Join the Dominion League!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2015, 03:04:05 pm »
+1

From a kingdom design perspective, I already love the events. You get so much more control over what is or is not possible in your game now.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mole5000

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2015, 04:21:38 pm »
+2

I saw that post before you deleted it, Mole5000.  I saw it!

There's always someone watching!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2015, 05:28:02 pm »

Not at all. I didn't want to play any game that didn't have 2 events, and all 10 cards chosen from Adventures.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2015, 08:39:43 am »

Just to let everyone know, I did proxy and play with these events. Expedition is a very, very good card when you have $3 or $4 and really don't want a silver or some other $3 cost. Although, in the face of discard attacks, it is probably weak. I didn't play against any of those. Anyway, Expedition is an awesome card. Just saying. Trade and Mission came into effect not as much. Although, the trashing from Trade is decent.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2015, 08:41:04 am »

For me the most common thing was to play with 5 cards from Adventures and 5 cards from all the other expansions combined. I almost always used 2 events.

And I must admit I didn't realize the "specify 2 events setting right away" so I also accidentally played a bunch without events.

So, you're saying for Pro Mode, Goko should automatically allow for 2 events in pro games?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2015, 09:53:08 am »
+2

So, you're saying for Pro Mode, Goko should automatically allow for 2 events in pro games?

No, he's saying he didn't play with events on accident.

IMO, Dominion Online should use a number of events between 0 and 2, determined by some formula or calculation that can't be put in a formula.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2015, 10:40:35 am »

I don't remember if it's been asked already, but...

Opening Expedition/Trade, do you think it's going to be a thing?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2015, 11:17:39 am »

I doubt it. If you're unlucky, your second hand will still only have $4. If that doesn't happen, then I suppose you're in an ok position; but probably worse than opening Explorer (is opening Explorer still considered pretty strong? I dunno.) Now if you hit $4 first, then Smithy / Trade should be very similar to Expedition / Trade, except that you have a Smithy in your deck.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2015, 11:57:05 am »
+1

I doubt it. If you're unlucky, your second hand will still only have $4. If that doesn't happen, then I suppose you're in an ok position; but probably worse than opening Explorer (is opening Explorer still considered pretty strong? I dunno.) Now if you hit $4 first, then Smithy / Trade should be very similar to Expedition / Trade, except that you have a Smithy in your deck.

Except that you can't get Trade with $3.

Also, yes, if you're unlucky, the 2nd hand will have $4. I think this is too risky on 4/3, but it's only 10% of 3/4, gotta often be worth the risk.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2015, 12:00:30 pm »
+2

For playtesting, the Events were a playtesting bottleneck. You can play 3 games and see every Kingdom card but you see only 6 out of 20 Events. So there was a strong incentive for us to always play with 2 Events (the recommended limit). So we did.

An option to force Events to be included does sound good though, I mean some people will for sure want to do that, at least for a while.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2015, 12:02:05 pm »
+2

For playtesting, the Events were a playtesting bottleneck. You can play 3 games and see every Kingdom card but you see only 6 out of 20 Events. So there was a strong incentive for us to always play with 2 Events (the recommended limit). So we did.

An option to force Events to be included does sound good though, I mean some people will for sure want to do that, at least for a while.

My guess is that, after a while, Dominion won't feel like Dominion if we don't have Events.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2015, 12:03:01 pm »

Except that you can't get Trade with $3.

Also, yes, if you're unlucky, the 2nd hand will have $4. I think this is too risky on 4/3, but it's only 10% of 3/4, gotta often be worth the risk.

Oops, I was thinking of Smithy as the same as Expedition, because they both give you a 7 card hand, but forgot that you won't be playing Smithy on turn 2.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.