Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Previews #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission  (Read 80024 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2015, 01:16:30 pm »
+3

There could conceivably be a card that lets you buy Events during your Action phase (the, uh, Black Event Market).

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2015, 01:18:11 pm »
+5

I fully trust them to come up with a neat solution that only works if you have a dual monitor setup and is completely unusable otherwise.

Nah, that would violate the Harrison Bergeron principle. The interface of course has to be limited to the things you could do with a tablet. An off-brand bargain tablet without multitouch. Which can't actually run Goko anyway.

I fully trust them to come up with an awkward solution that involves dragging something.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2015, 01:40:37 pm »

Here's a question - since you've said you use the randomizers as your Black Market deck, is it possible for Events to end up in the Black Market deck?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2015, 02:07:22 pm »
+6

Oh hey, now you can buy something after you play Hermit and still get a Madman!

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2015, 02:08:48 pm »

Here's a question - since you've said you use the randomizers as your Black Market deck, is it possible for Events to end up in the Black Market deck?

I don't think so. BM pretty clearly specifies kingdom cards, and Events are not kingdom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2015, 02:15:05 pm »

Man, this also opens up even more possibilities for "fan cards" as you only ever need to make one. Stuff like this can be tested IRL with 3x5 note cards on a whim.

You don't even need that. You just need to say "for this game, I'm going to say that you can spend x on an event that does y."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2015, 02:17:49 pm »
+4

Man, this also opens up even more possibilities for "fan cards" as you only ever need to make one. Stuff like this can be tested IRL with 3x5 note cards on a whim.

You don't even need that. You just need to say "for this game, I'm going to say that you can spend x on an event that does y."
True, but personally I wouldn't remember past turn 3 that this thing exists.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2015, 02:18:26 pm »
+1

Actually, I already have a question regarding Mission/Outpost. If I play an Outpost and buy a Mission in the same turn, couldn't I choose to play the Outpost turn first and get 3 in a row? In this case, Outpost is not causing me to take more than 2 consecutive turns (since it's only my second consecutive turn) and at the time that I buy Mission the previous turn wasn't mine, so it seems that that effect should trigger, too. That feels like a stretch, but a legalistic interpretation of the wording on the cards would seem to suggest this is allowed. Am I missing something?

I guess if I were the opposing lawyer I would say: Outpost and Mission are both telling you to take the same extra turn (with different conditions). If you choose to resolve Outpost first, when you go to resolve the Mission you can't take another turn after this one, because you already did; a potential third turn would be after that one (the Outpost turn).

Of course, you would then argue that another turn after that one is nonetheless also after this one, and therefore fits the direction since it doesn't say 'directly' after this one. And then you would triumphantly cite precedent declaring that "Possession is 9/10 of the law!"

[That was good, wasn't it?]

Fortunately:
a) The High Judge has spoken, and
b) I'm not a lawyer.

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2015, 02:19:30 pm »

Somehow though I get the feeling that Mission's interactions with Outpost and Possession are going to be nightmare-inducing.

I don't think it'll be too bad.

First off, Mission does not interact with Possession, since you can't play Possession on Mission. Possession will only allow you to take one extra turn with Outpost because Outpost by itself can't be used to take more than two turns in a row.

Oh, wait, Possession, not Precession.

Let's deal with the simple case of Mission and Outpost:

If you play Outpost, then buy a mission, then in your discard phase you will keep out the Outpost and then (probably) get to choose which extra turn you get: the mission or the outpost extra turn (similar to how playing two possessions on an opponent, and playing an outpost during the first posession allows the possessor to choose to play out outpost extra turn before the second possession, or after). Playing the mission first results in a mission with only three cards, and no third turn. Playing the outpost extra turn first results in a third turn in a row, the last turn a mission.

Now for Possession:

Cribbing from the Wiki on Possession/Outpost,

Interactions with Possession are difficult: remember that when your opponent Possesses you, he makes you take an extra turn, and makes all decisions for you.
  • So, if your opponent plays a Possession, then makes you buy a Mission during that Possessed turn, they will get to see the five cards you draw; then you will take your buy-less Mission extra turn, since that will only be your second turn in a row; and then you will take your regular turn.
  • If your opponent plays two Possessions, you take two extra turns from them; so if your opponent then makes you buy a Mission on the second Possessed turn, it does nothing since the previous turn was yours.
  • If your opponent plays two (or more) Possessions and makes you buy a mission during the first Possessed turn, they will get to make you decide when to take the extra turn from Mission; they can make you take an extra turn with no buys cards after the first Possessed turn, or they can choose to delay your Mission turn. Unlike the Outpost case, you will get to play the mission, since nothing in the Mission card says you can't have more than two turns in a row, just that you can't get them from Missions after your first turn.

I would assume that if my opponent plays two (or more) Possessions and makes me play both an outpost and buys a mission on the first Possessed turn, they would get to choose if my second turn was the Possessed turn, the Outpost turn, or the Mission turn.

What is unclear to me, in both the double-Possession/Outpost and double-Possession/Mission cases is who controls on the Outpost or Mission extra turns? Would it be I'm Possessed, I control the mission, I'm Possessed, I control my normal turn?

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2015, 02:20:07 pm »

True, but personally I wouldn't remember past turn 3 that this thing exists.

So you need a blackboard.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2015, 02:20:17 pm »
+1

I wonder how the selection of Events will be implemented online.  I mean, will the total number of Events in the game be fully random, or will it have a default limit?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2015, 02:32:42 pm »

Somehow though I get the feeling that Mission's interactions with Outpost and Possession are going to be nightmare-inducing.

I don't think it'll be too bad.

First off, Mission does not interact with Possession, since you can't play Possession on Mission. Possession will only allow you to take one extra turn with Outpost because Outpost by itself can't be used to take more than two turns in a row.

Uh, yes, you can.  You just can't buy cards.

EDIT: Also, the Possessor *chooses* whether the Possessee takes the Mission turn or their normal turn.  And it doesn't really matter which happens, because the Possessee will be back in control regardless - so they get two turns, one of which they won't be able to buy any cards.

What is unclear to me, in both the double-Possession/Outpost and double-Possession/Mission cases is who controls on the Outpost or Mission extra turns? Would it be I'm Possessed, I control the mission, I'm Possessed, I control my normal turn?

The Possessee controls Mission and Outpost turns, regardless of how many Possessions were played; those are not Possession turns.  However, choosing to play a Possession turn before an Outpost turn can result in the Possessor controlling a 3-card hand, and then the Outpost turn never happening, because of the "no more than two consecutive turns" clause.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:37:56 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2015, 02:42:13 pm »

I wonder how the selection of Events will be implemented online.  I mean, will the total number of Events in the game be fully random, or will it have a default limit?

They don't follow the Potion-cost card suggestion, so they'll probably just do totally random for Events. My guess would be something like 10% chance for each Event being used in any given game. (Because, theoretically, that comes out to 2 per game on average.)

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2015, 02:44:57 pm »

My head asplode.

Trade  - a Remake that doesn't cost an action?
Mission is Outpost with more cards and a penalty - again that doesn't cost an action.

Expedition - a cheap ruined Wharf, doesn't cost an action

Not sure whether I prefer the originals. Having these as essentially nonterminals - but having to pay for every single use.. I'm too much of a newbie to determine if that repeat cost is worth it or not. Money isn't always abundant, and I'm thinking I'd mostly want to spend it on stuff that cycles in my deck permanently.

So how much of a real benefit ARE Events?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2015, 02:48:18 pm »
+2

My head asplode.

Mission is Outpost with more cards and a penalty - again that doesn't cost an action.

Not sure whether I prefer the originals. Having these as essentially nonterminals - but having to pay for every single use.. I'm too much of a newbie to determine if that repeat cost is worth it or not. Money isn't always abundant, and I'm thinking I'd mostly want to spend it on stuff that cycles in my deck permanently.

The fact that you pay for each use I think makes them so that you can't really compare it to existing cards. It doesn't cost an action, and it doesn't cost a card in your hand, but it does cost money and a buy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2015, 02:52:06 pm »
+1

So let's talk Events as openers.

Opening Mission is obviously going to be pretty silly, unless there's another Event that'd be worth not buying any cards for?  I dunno.

Opening Expedition will probably be best on turn 2, so you don't fuck with your shuffle, but I could see it being pretty nice.

Opening Trade seems awesome!  Skip a turn to replace two Coppers with Silvers?  Yes, please!  Never mind...  Unless I use a Baker token to trash an Estate...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:55:13 pm by werothegreat »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2015, 02:52:21 pm »
+7

It will open up a new browser widow for each event card, and they will all flash during your buy phase if you can buy them.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2015, 02:53:12 pm »
+2

My head asplode.

The Silvers you gain from Trade do cycle through your deck permanently, and you can trash two bad cards on top of it. Considering 2 Silvers would usually run you $6 and 2 buys, I'd say that's a good deal.

The point of buying cards is to improve your deck. There are other ways to improve your deck (or attack opponents' decks). Mission sacrifices $4 and a buy to help you use all those other ways more.

Expedition is like buying 2 one-shot Labs that go on your deck.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:55:05 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2015, 02:54:11 pm »
+1

Opening Trade seems awesome!  Skip a turn to replace two Coppers with Silvers?  Yes, please!

The trashed cards have to come from your hand. You can't trash the Coppers you use to buy Trade.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2015, 02:54:43 pm »

Opening Trade seems awesome!  Skip a turn to replace two Coppers with Silvers?  Yes, please!

The trashed cards have to come from your hand. You can't trash the Coppers you use to buy Trade.

Right!  Right.  Dammit.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2015, 02:57:40 pm »
+3

I assume in "full random" it will be: add events randomly along with kingdom cards until there are 10 Kingdom cards, perhaps to a maximum of 2 events. A max of 2 events won't matter much for someone who owns all of the sets, but someone who owned just base and Adventures would be playing with an average of more than 3 events if there was no cap.

Using negative binomial approximation (Excel has no built in negative hypergeometric distribution? Appalling!), and the above method, the chance of more than 2 events (with 235 kingdom cards and 20 events) is only 6.2%.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2015, 03:13:18 pm »
+2

They don't follow the Potion-cost card suggestion, so they'll probably just do totally random for Events. My guess would be something like 10% chance for each Event being used in any given game. (Because, theoretically, that comes out to 2 per game on average.)

2 per game on average is a lot higher than what you would get with the official method.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2015, 03:17:09 pm »

So just to confirm, if I play workshop, I can't 'gain' an event?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2015, 03:22:46 pm »
+5

So just to confirm, if I play workshop, I can't 'gain' an event?

Yes.

Consider the physical card simply a reminder that in this game you are allowed to spend money + 1 Buy during your buy phase to get the effect.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2015, 03:35:18 pm »

So let's talk Events as openers.

Opening Mission is obviously going to be pretty silly, unless there's another Event that'd be worth not buying any cards for?  I dunno.
Opening Steward/Mission, then hoping to trash 2 cards on "turn 2b" doesn't sound silly to me at all.
Not saying this is incredibly good, because maybe just buying a $4 on turn 2 is better, but certainly worth considering.

Opening Expedition will probably be best on turn 2, so you don't fuck with your shuffle, but I could see it being pretty nice.
It's nice on turn 2 if you managed to buy something great on turn 1 (Remake?)
I can also see it work turn 1, if you just really want to hit $5 or maybe even get lucky for $6 (Count, Trading Post, Mountebank, Altar)
Join the Dominion League!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.