Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Previews #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission  (Read 79963 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 11:26:03 am »

There is no way to gain Missions so far (without buying), since you usually gain cards. Or am I missing some card here?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2015, 11:29:05 am »
+6

There is no way to gain Missions so far (without buying), since you usually gain cards. Or am I missing some card here?

You do not gain Events.  They are not cards.

But it seems like you could play an outpost on a mission, and get 3 turns in a row (1st turn full, 2nd turn with no buys, 3rd turn with 3 card hand). I'm not sure that's intentional. It seems like the general idea is that neither Mission nor Outpost should allow you to get more than 2 turns in a row.

No.  Outpost: "This can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2015, 11:49:41 am »
+5

There was this one test game where someone (I think jsh) bought Mission on each non-Mission turn and then bought about 6 Expeditions on each Mission turn. That was nuts.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2015, 11:54:36 am »

"Once per turn" on Mission means you can't buy it twice in one turn. You can buy it on the Mission turn, but of course that won't do you much good, because the previous turn was yours.

Expedition has the phrasing that means everyone immediately knows what it does. For people who demand more precision, there's a rulebook.

Ohhhh, the "if the previous turn wasn't yours" applies to when you can buy Mission, not when you can take a Mission turn. I was reading that all kinds of wrong. It makes so much more sense now, it's just doing the Outposty no consecutive turns thing.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2015, 11:58:35 am »
+2

"Once per turn" on Mission means you can't buy it twice in one turn. You can buy it on the Mission turn, but of course that won't do you much good, because the previous turn was yours.

Expedition has the phrasing that means everyone immediately knows what it does. For people who demand more precision, there's a rulebook.

Ohhhh, the "if the previous turn wasn't yours" applies to when you can buy Mission, not when you can take a Mission turn. I was reading that all kinds of wrong. It makes so much more sense now, it's just doing the Outposty no consecutive turns thing.
No. "Once per turn" means you can't buy it twice in one turn. When you buy it, the rest happens, starting with an "if" that may end up true or false. Both things together stop you from taking more than 2 turns in a row with it.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2015, 12:02:49 pm »

God! I May cry... Can't wait to play these...

Agreed.  After tomorrow's last round of previews, how about a post from Mr. Tummelson with an update on availability?

Also, what size are the event cards? 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2015, 12:03:45 pm »
+2

So without the "Once per turn:" you could buy, say, three of these on your turn.  When you buy them, it's true that the previous turn wasn't yours.  So at the end of your turn, you'd take three extra turns, and in each of those you couldn't buy cards?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2015, 12:07:39 pm »
+4

Same as the rest of the cards.

They don't take up Kingdom card slots; you shuffle them into your randomizer deck, but when you deal out cards, keep going until you have 10 Kingdom cards.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2015, 12:09:07 pm »
+1

No. "Once per turn" means you can't buy it twice in one turn. When you buy it, the rest happens, starting with an "if" that may end up true or false. Both things together stop you from taking more than 2 turns in a row with it.

Thanks for the clarification! I would have interpreted "once per turn" not as meaning you can only buy it twice per turn, but as meaning that if you did buy it a second time it wouldn't do anything. (No, I don't know why you'd want to do this.)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2015, 12:09:42 pm »
+3

Agreed.  After tomorrow's last round of previews, how about a post from Mr. Tummelson with an update on availability?

As of today Jay says April 18. The Event cards are the same size as all the other cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2015, 12:10:04 pm »

So without the "Once per turn:" you could buy, say, three of these on your turn.  When you buy them, it's true that the previous turn wasn't yours.  So at the end of your turn, you'd take three extra turns, and in each of those you couldn't buy cards?

Yes.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2015, 12:10:13 pm »

There was this one test game where someone (I think jsh) bought Mission on each non-Mission turn and then bought about 6 Expeditions on each Mission turn. That was nuts.
It's like being able to buy a Tactician turn! (without the extra Action and Buy)

lehmacdj

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: lehmacdj
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2015, 12:17:08 pm »
+1

Do events have the blue randomizer back?  Or a brand new unique back?  I assume it must be blue so that they match with the randomizers because that is how you are supposed to select them, but a new card back would be cooler.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2015, 12:18:06 pm »
+2

Do events have the blue randomizer back?  Or a brand new unique back?  I assume it must be blue so that they match with the randomizers because that is how you are supposed to select them, but a new card back would be cooler.
They have the regular randomizer back.

CavJes

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2015, 12:21:45 pm »

On another note, Kevin is one of my favorite events.

I had no idea!

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2015, 12:42:29 pm »

Hm. I have mixed feelings about these. They remind me of Gambits in Star Realms, which I REALLY didn't like (fortunately, they don't at all resemble the Events in Star Realms, which are just incredibly dumb). However, unlike Gambits, they're all available to everyone, so that's nice. The cards themselves look cool and the new mechanic will undoubtedly change the way the game is played when they're present, so that's exciting.

Somehow though I get the feeling that Mission's interactions with Outpost and Possession are going to be nightmare-inducing.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:46:13 pm by swedenman »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2015, 12:50:01 pm »
+2

Man, this also opens up even more possibilities for "fan cards" as you only ever need to make one. Stuff like this can be tested IRL with 3x5 note cards on a whim.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »
+6

Actually, I already have a question regarding Mission/Outpost. If I play an Outpost and buy a Mission in the same turn, couldn't I choose to play the Outpost turn first and get 3 in a row? In this case, Outpost is not causing me to take more than 2 consecutive turns (since it's only my second consecutive turn) and at the time that I buy Mission the previous turn wasn't mine, so it seems that that effect should trigger, too. That feels like a stretch, but a legalistic interpretation of the wording on the cards would seem to suggest this is allowed. Am I missing something?

Mezi-Crochet

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2015, 01:06:31 pm »

Question about the interaction of Expedition/Minion...

Does the Minion effect is a next hand? If i Discard my hand and draw the four cards... Is it a new hand?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2015, 01:08:33 pm »
+2

I made a bunch of guesses about Events when the expansion blurb was first revealed.

So I got this part right:

Based on comments in the thread so far from people in the know, it sounds like Event cards are something you buy that let you do something immediately, but don't gain you a card.  So each of the 20 Event cards are actually separate Events.

And then there was my guess on how to include them:

How would you include them in the game?  I imagine that you could set it up like you do Colonies, or optionally choose to include them outright, if you so desire.  And if you use Events, maybe randomly choose 3 and that's it for the whole game?  Maybe once an Event is purchased, it is replaced by a new one from the stack?

which was close, but not quite correct.  In retrospect, just including them directly in the randomizers was an obvious, simple solution.

I am really excited to see what all the events are.  It really opens up the design space, and the design space of Dominion was already ridiculously big.

Mezi-Crochet

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2015, 01:09:42 pm »

Actually, I already have a question regarding Mission/Outpost. If I play an Outpost and buy a Mission in the same turn, couldn't I choose to play the Outpost turn first and get 3 in a row? In this case, Outpost is not causing me to take more than 2 consecutive turns (since it's only my second consecutive turn) and at the time that I buy Mission the previous turn wasn't mine, so it seems that that effect should trigger, too. That feels like a stretch, but a legalistic interpretation of the wording on the cards would seem to suggest this is allowed. Am I missing something?

Don't think so...

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2015, 01:11:31 pm »
+9

Yes you can resolve the Outpost turn first and still get the Mission turn.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2015, 01:12:46 pm »
+1

Does the Minion effect is a next hand? If i Discard my hand and draw the four cards... Is it a new hand?

As far as we know, you can only ever buy an Event during the buy phase, so there is no way you can ever buy it and then play Minion.  Even if you could, I think the intended interpretation is that it gives you an extra 2 cards when you draw your next hand in that clean-up phase, i.e. for your next turn.  If another player plays Minion (or another attack), that could wipe out your Expedition.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2015, 01:13:27 pm »
+3

No. This question doesn't make any sense (I can't play Minion after buying Expedition and before getting my next hand) but that's okay, it's still no.

Mezi-Crochet

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2015, 01:15:34 pm »

No. This question doesn't make any sense (I can't play Minion after buying Expedition and before getting my next hand) but that's okay, it's still no.

Yeah... right... My bad  :-[
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.