Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Previews #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission  (Read 79657 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 10:41:22 am »
+4

If you do use a hard cap of 2 events, then with 235? kingdom cards and 20 events, the probabilities are:

0 Events - 42%
1 Event - 37%
2 Events - 21%

Recommended ways of choosing events be darned; I'm just putting all 20 in every game!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 10:41:53 am »
+2

The Expedition art is sick.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 10:41:56 am »
+3

In MTG; there's an explicit rule stating this. In Dominion, for the most part it hasn't been a real conflict, because there hasn't been a lot of things saying that you "can't" do things. The only one I can think of is Contraband, and that's never been paired with something else that says "you may buy this card".

Contaband/Black Market is an example already.

I actually thought events might be like this, but never posted it. Seems cool, and a nice contrast to the long term stuff of reserves, Hireling, and Haunted Woods.

And Contraband can't prohibit Events!

Expedition's art is simply gorgeous.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 10:42:15 am »
+1

"Next hand" means what you draw during your Cleanup phase?
In which case Militia would really spoil your Expedition?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 10:44:48 am »
+1

Well now I definitely don't know how to play this game. I'm glad it will have a rule book with some words about things.

This. The way I think of it is that, if you add a couple of events to a game, you have gone from playing Dominion to playing Advanced Dominion. A big part of that is just that you have more purchasing options.

Normally I'm a stickler for the rules suggestions like when to use Colonies and Shelters. But since events were introduced, we always put two in every game (unless playing with newbies). Rather than shuffling them into the card randomizers, I just keep my Event cards with my base cards (Copper, Province, etc.) so that I always have them no matter which sets I'm bringing with me.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 10:45:07 am »
+1

Also, these are a really clever way to get a lot of content in the set.  Because there is only one of each Event, you get 20 ideas instead of just two with the same number of cards.  (That is, two 10-card Kingdom cards.. and okay you need two more for the randomizers, so even better.)  It's impressive. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 10:45:39 am »
+1

Recommended ways of choosing events be darned; I'm just putting all 20 in every game!

Man, I assume you're joking. That sounds awful.

AlexTFish

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
    • ToothyWiki:AlexChurchill
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 10:48:03 am »
+4

That wording to Mission is really confusing. The "Once per turn:" prefix in particular. It makes it look like something that can happen multiple times when you buy it, maybe after each opponent's turn, or something.

I assume it's just there to prevent you spending $8 and two buys to get two extra turns (right?) But why not just use the wording from Outpost?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 10:51:16 am »
+6

I love Mission. I love that there are still 17 more events.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2015, 10:51:45 am »
+13

Adventures is not gonna be online any time soon.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:39 am »
+3

So how much pages of cards and card-like things do we now need on Goko for all the new stuff?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 10:54:35 am »

That wording to Mission is really confusing. The "Once per turn:" prefix in particular. It makes it look like something that can happen multiple times when you buy it, maybe after each opponent's turn, or something.

I assume it's just there to prevent you spending $8 and two buys to get two extra turns (right?) But why not just use the wording from Outpost?

It is my understanding that the "Once per turn:" prefix means that you can only buy Mission once per turn.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:30 am »
+8

Adventures is not gonna be online any time soon.
Should I start streaming my IRL games?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:47 am »
+1

It also appears to prevent you from gaining a 3rd turn after an outpost. It's already ineffective to play outpost during your extra turn, it's also ineffective to buy a mission during that turn as well.

DonaldX has already indicated that you can buy events on your mission (it's not buying a card), but the wording prevents you from getting a 2nd mission in a row.

But it seems like you could play an outpost on a mission, and get 3 turns in a row (1st turn full, 2nd turn with no buys, 3rd turn with 3 card hand). I'm not sure that's intentional. It seems like the general idea is that neither Mission nor Outpost should allow you to get more than 2 turns in a row.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 10:58:58 am »
+7

Funny story: So DXV was looking for names for certain cards (many older names weren't on-theme, etc.) and Trade was one of them. I suggested several names and he ended up picking Trade, which was one of the ones I suggested. Not the most glamorous name, but appropriate.

So I instantly go into fanboy mode "ZOMG I JUST NAMED A DOMINION CARD!!!!" I tell that to one of my friends and she says "Aww, that's adorable! Did you name it Kevin?"

So if I ever say I'm going to trigger a Kevin, that's why.

On another note, Kevin is one of my favorite events. On the right board, it serves as a hard counter to junking attacks, enough to make you want to ignore them; which I absolutely love.

Events are so cool, for 20 cards you're getting the value of 200 cards, and that's not taking into account how much cooler Events are than other kingdom cards. <3 so much.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 10:59:48 am »
+1

What the...

This Changes Everything.

Also, yeah, I may have to actually buy cards and get out my old sets, 'cause no way will this be online before the end of the year.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 10:59:50 am »
+11

At this point I feel it starts to undersell Adventures as a simple expansion.  Starting to feel like a new game which happens to use the base cards from Dominion.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 11:01:44 am »
+17

So how much pages of cards and card-like things do we now need on Goko for all the new stuff?

I fully trust them to come up with a neat solution that only works if you have a dual monitor setup and is completely unusable otherwise.

Either that or they'll just triple the number of lobbies, which, while not in any way related, is at least something they know how to do.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 11:03:20 am »
+2

I fully trust them to come up with a neat solution that only works if you have a dual monitor setup and is completely unusable otherwise.

Either that or they'll just triple the number of lobbies, which, while not in any way related, is at least something they know how to do.

The man responsible for the number of lobbies has been sacked.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 11:05:29 am »
+3

I love Mission. I love that there are still 17 more events.

But you are not supposed to be here yet!!!

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 11:06:54 am »
+4

Ok, example just to see if I know how this works. I play my hand in which I draw many of my cards in my deck, some of which are green, some are purple, and some are unused action cards (i'm not very good at this). I have two buys and Haunted Woods is in play. With my first buy, I buy a card, topdecking my green, purple and other cards. Then with my second buy, I buy a Mission, taking those cards I topdecked and 'playing' them (meaning mostly I just discard those green and purple cards). Is that one way to make this combination of cards work?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:25:20 am by bedlam »

Mezi-Crochet

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 11:14:00 am »
+2

God! I May cry... Can't wait to play these...

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 11:15:02 am »

It is my understanding that the "Once per turn:" prefix means that you can only buy Mission once per turn.

Is this right?
Buying a Mission only lets you take one Mission turn (not one after every opponents' turn).
I can buy one Mission per turn.
I can buy more Missions on my Mission turns.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 11:21:59 am »
+5

"Once per turn" on Mission means you can't buy it twice in one turn. You can buy it on the Mission turn, but of course that won't do you much good, because the previous turn was yours.

Expedition has the phrasing that means everyone immediately knows what it does. For people who demand more precision, there's a rulebook.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 11:22:43 am »
+1

Is this right?
Buying a Mission only lets you take one Mission turn (not one after every opponents' turn).
I can buy one Mission per turn.
I can buy more Missions on my Mission turns.

You can buy mission on your mission turn. It just doesn't do anything since the previous turn was yours.

EDIT: what Donald said.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.