Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Preview: Messenger  (Read 73286 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Preview: Messenger
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 10:54:53 am »

But only if you didn't buy anything else this turn.

That part feels weird to me:
If you go for two or more buys you can choose whether you want to gain extra stuff or not, but if you only have one buy you have no such choice.

I'm guessing it's so you can't double up on Messenger's Santa Claus-ing.

I'm sure Donald will elaborate on this more in the Secret History, but the older versions of Messenger allowed you to get the on-gain benefit every time, and let's just say 3/4 player Dominion was a very different beast.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 11:00:23 am »

But only if you didn't buy anything else this turn.

That part feels weird to me:
If you go for two or more buys you can choose whether you want to gain extra stuff or not, but if you only have one buy you have no such choice.

I'm guessing it's so you can't double up on Messenger's Santa Claus-ing.

I was thinking, why not give the player a choice every time (whether it is the first buy or not), but yes, that covers it.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 11:03:16 am »
+1

I hope there's a Treasure/Duration card so (with a cost-reducer) you can Messenger a Mandarin, sending those suckers back on top of the deck. I don't know if that would be good since they'd still get the effects, but it could be fun.

Also, Messengering a Nomad Camp could be a fun way to disrupt your opponent's terminal draw or (if getting the Messenger from the Black Market) ensure your tribute gets you some +actions.

And of course the most obvious exploit would be to Messenger a card with only 1 left in the pile.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 11:05:44 am »

I hope there's a Treasure/Duration card so (with a cost-reducer) you can Messenger a Mandarin, sending those suckers back on top of the deck. I don't know if that would be good since they'd still get the effects, but it could be fun.

Also, Messengering a Nomad Camp could be a fun way to disrupt your opponent's terminal draw or (if getting the Messenger from the Black Market) ensure your tribute gets you some +actions.

And of course the most obvious exploit would be to Messenger a card with only 1 left in the pile.

Are Durations in play after your turn? 

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 11:07:20 am »

Yep, Lighthouse says, "While this is in play..."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 11:07:34 am »

Oh, man.. Messenger, Watchtower, Jester.  Or Swindler, but Jester can give them two Curses. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 11:09:20 am »

Yep, Lighthouse says, "While this is in play..."

Alright, yeah.  FAQ/Rulebook make it clear, too. 

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 11:09:50 am »

Oh, man.. Messenger, Watchtower, Jester.  Or Swindler, but Jester can give them two Curses.

I don't think that works how you think it works.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 11:12:20 am »

Oh, you're right, for some reason the top-decking of Mandarin got me thinking everything was getting top-decked.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2015, 11:12:57 am »

Oh, you're right, for some reason the top-decking of Mandarin got me thinking everything was getting top-decked.

Yeah, you had me going for a while too.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 11:15:52 am »
+2

I really, really like this. <3

It's probably not all too strong, as i think combining Chancellor and Woodcutter would have been fine for $3 if the cards themselves didn't exist. Obviously they do, but this gives a bonus on buy to make up for the cost. It's far from trivial to decide when you want to use it, though, so if you use it on a card everybody wants, well, it's pretty much no bonus at all. Care to go for a Chancellor-Supported money deck and meanwhile throw some Silvers into your opponent's engine? Or let everyone gain a Copper for your Philosopher's Stone or Counting House? Maybe just gain the last card in a pile? Oh, and the three-piles...

I'm happy  :))

Edit: Oh, i guess Counting House and PS might not be that good with this, considering the fact it can make the game rather short. Hm...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:23:08 am by Asper »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 11:18:54 am »

So I guess Messenger/Gardens will be a thing?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 11:19:52 am »
+1

Nice card, but I hoped for another event^^

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 11:21:45 am »
+9

Play Highway.
Play Black Market.
Buy Messenger.
Gain Lost City.
Draw 3 cards (4-player game).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 11:26:08 am »
+1

This sounds pretty good when you're gaining the last card in a pile.

EDIT: It's a good thing I had something new to add to the discussion!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:27:11 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +822
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 11:58:57 am »
+6

I think I can see how this combos with Scout.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 11:59:25 am »

Messenger/trader, what happens (i.e. I take a curse and reveal trader to take a silver)? My feeling is no one gains anything ( except I gain the silver ).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 12:02:13 pm »
+2

Messenger/trader, what happens (i.e. I take a curse and reveal trader to take a silver)? My feeling is no one gains anything ( except I gain the silver ).

Yes, for the same reason Trader-ing an Ironworks gain doesn't give you a bonus.  Ironworks and Messenger both say "gain a card, do something depending on it" not "choose a card, gain it, etc".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 12:10:47 pm »

Yes, for the same reason Trader-ing an Ironworks gain doesn't give you a bonus.  Ironworks and Messenger both say "gain a card, do something depending on it" not "choose a card, gain it, etc".

Messenger doesn't actually say "depending on it", just "and". Ironworks has an if/then chart....

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 12:11:50 pm »
+1

This is fun - kind of like my Revolution, which works on a similar concept. They're still different enough to have both, luckily.

One more awesome card in adventures. This might have the highest density of awesomeness yet.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:31:15 pm by XerxesPraelor »

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 12:12:09 pm »

Why does Messenger restrict itself to being your first buy? Why not just have it be the first time you buy Messenger on a turn? I can see some sad days online when you accidentally buy a Province before Messenger.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 12:12:32 pm »
+1

Messenger doesn't actually say "depending on it", just "and". Ironworks has an if/then chart....

Which is shorthand for "if the card you gained with Ironworks is an..."  Which is another way of saying "do something depending on what you gain".

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 12:19:43 pm »

yes, both messenger and ironworks hinge on what the meaning of "it" is. For ironworks, the ruling was that the "it" is the card ironworks tried to gain; since it wasn't gained, ironworks fizzles. Seems clear that "it" should mean the same thing on both cards.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 12:20:34 pm »
+2

Why does Messenger restrict itself to being your first buy? Why not just have it be the first time you buy Messenger on a turn? I can see some sad days online when you accidentally buy a Province before Messenger.
The text has to fit on the cards. We didn't know the Chancellor part would be scrunched, and with that on two lines you can't fit any more lines.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 12:20:39 pm »

yes, both messenger and ironworks hinge on what the meaning of "it" is. For ironworks, the ruling was that the "it" is the card ironworks tried to gain; since it wasn't gained, ironworks fizzles. Seems clear that "it" should mean the same thing on both cards.

I don't know what "it" is, but he's got it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.