Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quality of the Adventures expansion  (Read 10567 times)

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
Quality of the Adventures expansion
« on: April 01, 2015, 03:20:57 pm »
+11

Is it just me, who receives the impression that both the card art and the sophistication of the cards itself, get to another level with this expansion?

I mean, the way it was until now, Dominion is one of the most successful board games of the last 10 years. It was so good that I got addicted to it and hard to believe it can get much better as it is. But in reflection of the things i have seen so far of Adventures, i think it has.

What are your impressions? Feel free to discuss.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:44:59 pm by hvb »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of the Adventure expansion
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:26:47 pm »
+3

I think Adventures adds so, so much to the game.  I think I've said this before, but Reserves are really a mechanic that, in hindsight, I'm surprised hadn't been added before now.  As you've seen today, the Duration mechanic is much more fully explored, and there's just so much going on with so many of these cards.  And I've been consistently impressed with the official art so far!  I played with jsh's prototypes, which (except for one card that apparently LastFootnote mocked up) were just text on white cards.  It was fun, but for me, a lot of the fun of Dominion is the art.  It really colors what it is you're doing, no pun intended.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of the Adventures expansion
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 05:51:01 am »
+3

Adventures introduces a lot of things that made me look at certain other deckbuilders and think "Dominion is better, but i still wish it had that.". Reserves and cards that get better over time are some of those things. Player colors too. All in all, i'm excited.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:09:57 am »
+3

Is it just me, who receives the impression that both the card art and the sophistication of the cards itself, get to another level with this expansion?

I mean, the way it was until now, Dominion is one of the most successful board games of the last 10 years. It was so good that I got addicted to it and hard to believe it can get much better as it is. But in reflection of the things i have seen so far of Adventures, i think it has.

What are your impressions? Feel free to discuss.

I agree with you on this one. And even though I'm not supposed to talk about things not previewed yet, I will tell you this: My personal favorite cards & concepts are yet to come.
Join the Dominion League!

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 11:15:13 am »
+5

I'm the one in my IRL group that owns all the Dominion expansions and brings it to game night. That by default make me in charge of rules explanation and interaction clarification, (buy vs. gain, etc). They don't read f.ds. This expansion is going to blow their minds when it shows up on the table and I am going to have a lot of explaining to do. I'm so excited.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 11:19:41 am »
+1

And the art! It's more than lived up to the high standard the box cover has set.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 11:41:18 am »
+1

All the art so far looks to be a little more serious and polished.  In my opinion, better, but that's hard to judge because some things are stylistic.

I like the Events art (especially Expedition).  I like that they all look, like, well, events.  I mean, if you just looked at only the art alone, you could almost tell they weren't regular Dominion cards.  (This is probably in large due to the aspect ratio, but probably holds somewhat even if they were the same.)  They look more like paintings or something.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 01:48:43 pm »
+3

I only own Intrigue, which was a gift from friends.  The problem was that my friends don't like to play Dominion with me anymore because I came to this site and got loads better than them very quickly.  I had plans to buy all the expansions and then I scrapped them when we mostly stopped playing.

I might buy Adventures anyway.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 02:17:16 pm »
+8

Honestly, Adventures really feels like two expansions in one.  First we get 30 new kingdom cards, along with all the Traveller nonsense, which could have just been an expansion on its own.  And now we also have these 20 Events - sure, that's only 20 physical cards, but it's 20 more things to add to a game.  That's more things than any of the small expansions!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 04:02:18 pm »

I think it would be difficult to add more complexity and potential in a smaller physical space than that of the 20 events 'cards.' Edit: corrected my number
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:22:31 pm by iguanaiguana »
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 04:03:30 pm »

I think it would be difficult to add more complexity and potential in a smaller physical space than that of the 30 events 'cards.'
20 Events. 30 Kingdom Cards.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 10:47:53 pm »
+3

I think it would be difficult to add more complexity and potential in a smaller physical space than that of the 20 events 'cards.' Edit: corrected my number

Honestly, if Donald X. released a tiny expansion of just 20 more Events, I'd probably buy it.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:42 pm »

Honestly, if Donald X. released a tiny expansion of just 20 more Events, I'd probably buy it.
They could probably do a Promo "card" of 10 new Events.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 11:20:37 pm »
+4

From the moment I saw Adventures, I thought of it as "Dominion Advanced." Someone else mentioned elsewhere that calling it an expansion undersells it. This is absolutely correct. It's part expansion, part spinoff. I think that games with Adventures will feel like a completely different game. And man, that's without seeing the tokens yet.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 10:59:55 am »
+1

I already miss the days when Dominion used to let me just shuffle my deck and draw 5 cards for my next hand...sigh, tokens, events, reserves...this really is a variant instead of an expansion isn't it. What I wonder is, from a marketing position, why aren't each of these new things sold in their own expansions? This could be a way to sell three times as many expansion boxes.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 11:05:54 am »
+2

I already miss the days when Dominion used to let me just shuffle my deck and draw 5 cards for my next hand...sigh, tokens, events, reserves...this really is a variant instead of an expansion isn't it. What I wonder is, from a marketing position, why aren't each of these new things sold in their own expansions? This could be a way to sell three times as many expansion boxes.

Yes, I am continually amazed at how good a value Dominion is. It's fantastic that Donald's goal is always to make each set as good as it can be, rather than making as much money as possible.

The fact that all this stuff is in one expansion is just a result of the natural evolution of the set. I'm sure Donald will go into more detail in the Secret History.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 11:12:09 am »

I already miss the days when Dominion used to let me just shuffle my deck and draw 5 cards for my next hand...sigh, tokens, events, reserves...this really is a variant instead of an expansion isn't it.

I mean this in a very nice way - don't buy/play with adventures, then! The pool of Kingdom cards is so large now you can have an immensely satisfying experience while leaving out a large number of cards.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 12:08:31 pm »
+5

Yes, I am continually amazed at how good a value Dominion is. It's fantastic that Donald's goal is always to make each set as good as it can be, rather than making as much money as possible.

The fact that all this stuff is in one expansion is just a result of the natural evolution of the set. I'm sure Donald will go into more detail in the Secret History.

It's like this dude is good at making games or something.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 12:16:05 pm »
+3

I love Dominion, but I feel pretty certain that if there had been no expansions, it would have eventually gotten stale for me.  I think that is substantiated by the fact that Dominion is no longer in the top 10 of Board Game Geeks' list. As of today, it is now #27. The only way to expand it was to add new aspects to the game, things that would change the way we think about it.

I firmly believe that if BGG allowed the expansions to be considered in the rating for a game, Dominion would clearly be in the top 5. I know it has been #1 in our home ever since I purchased it in 2009 because of the expansions.. So though I appreciate and relate to your nostalgic take on the game, I don't think I will ever have too much variety. Adventures is blowing me away. I can't wait to get my copy.

And just think how many additional cards could be designed with features like Events, Reserves, and Travelers. I think we have a lot to look forward to from time to time in the future. Donald said a few years ago that there would come a point where he could only make so many cards without bringing in other features into the game. This is obviously an example of what he was talking about.  I will have to search and find his exact words, but that was the basic thrust of his comment.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 12:19:47 pm »
+1

One downside to Adventures is that it's going to be a really tough act to follow if Donald ever decides to do another expansion. I don't know how you can top Events, and I doubt every set from now on will have them. I guess Guilds was still plenty exciting even after Dark Ages, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing here.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 12:24:20 pm »
+3

Well, there's no need to 'top' the last expansion.  As some sentiments here indicate, a simpler expansion probably wouldn't be terrible either.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 01:28:22 pm »
+1

To be honest, Adventures does feel a bit over-saturated with new mechanics. I think everything looks cool, but it just seems like an awful lot to introduce at once. I'm sure I'll feel differently once the cards are on Goko and I'm used to everything, though. Still, I don't think I'd ever try playing Dominion with Adventures with my family or anything like that. It doesn't seem to lend itself to casual play at all.

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 04:28:21 pm »
+4

From the moment I saw Adventures, I thought of it as "Dominion Advanced." Someone else mentioned elsewhere that calling it an expansion undersells it. This is absolutely correct. It's part expansion, part spinoff. I think that games with Adventures will feel like a completely different game. And man, that's without seeing the tokens yet.

That was me. Frankly there are more ideas and mechanics in adventures than in your average "totally not dominion" deck builder from other designers.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 10:40:26 am »
+3

My plan was to mostly just add events sometimes when playing against non-seasoned Dominion players. I thought the events would be really lightweight as they are only 20 unique cards. It turns out a whole bunch of events use tokens, which I think are a bit too crazy to include when playing against new or even just casual players. I think other than that the events are a compact way to add neat and exciting stuff to an otherwise simple kingdom.

Adventures certainly has that "wow" factor that may positively affect a new player's impression of the game. Even if some of the Adventures cards are ultimately weak, you can still expect the weak cards to be exciting. Compare to Chancellor in the base set, whose purpose and need to exist will be questioned by new players.

This expansion is so condensed with new mechanics, it feels like a different game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.