Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Preview: Haunted Woods  (Read 64888 times)

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Haunted Woods
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2015, 08:30:28 pm »

Just to confirm, this basically prevents you from playing any more actions/treasures (edge-cases aside) after buying at the Black Market, correct?
Correct, once you buy your first card -- whether at the BM or elsewhere -- any remaining actions/treasures in your hand will kaput back to your deck.
My opponent has more loot than me

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2015, 08:52:18 pm »

Just to confirm, this basically prevents you from playing any more actions/treasures (edge-cases aside) after buying at the Black Market, correct?
Correct, once you buy your first card -- whether at the BM or elsewhere -- any remaining actions/treasures in your hand will kaput back to your deck.

With the usual double-Tactician edge cases applying. That is an interesting interaction that I hadn't thought of though. All those cool tricks that you can do with Black Market no longer work if your opponent plays Haunted Woods.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2015, 08:57:18 pm »

With the usual double-Tactician edge cases applying.
?
My opponent has more loot than me

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2015, 09:16:18 pm »

Since there are now Duration-Attacks, I'm curious how to resolve the problem I experienced with a Duration-Attack fan card I designed for the "Online-Only Cards" thread.
Levy
Type: Action / Duration / Attack
Cost: $5
+$3,
--------------------
While this is in play, all cards cost $1 more.

For in-person play, the problem with this card is that it's too easy to not notice Durations in the areas of other players. If your mistake costed you a missed opportunity, it would be fine. Instead, your mistake advantages you, which is unacceptable. By the time you realize the mistake, no one remembers how to undo the error.
If your opponent discards his hand when he should have top-decked it, and you fail to point this out, should the players just go on and forget about it? This seems like the only way to consider the game state to continue to be legal.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2015, 09:21:26 pm »

If your opponent discards his hand when he should have top-decked it, and you fail to point this out, should the players just go on and forget about it? This seems like the only way to consider the game state to continue to be legal.

In my IRL games, it's the responsibility of the attacker to remind the other people to get attacked; this came up frequently, since we haven't seen an Attack card whose effects aren't resolved immediately before.

I think the more general rule is, if you forget something that benefits you (even if it's indirectly, by hurting another player), that's too bad, it was your fault.  I'm sure you could construct a weird political edge case out of that, but I think that's how most reasonable people would play.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2015, 09:22:22 pm »

With the usual double-Tactician edge cases applying.
?

Only edge-case I can think of is Golem that plays a second action card from your deck after the Black market, similar to when Golem plays a Tactician as its first action and, say, Lab on its second (maybe that's what GendoIkari was referring to). Sure, you can buy from the Supply with any leftover coins, or play additional Black Markets if it was throned, but that still doesn't let you play any more cards.

Of course, there's probably a yet-unrevealed Reserve Card that will allow you to continue your turn, but Golem is the only edge-case that comes to my mind right now.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2015, 09:27:20 pm »

TR-herald

Also Prince of Black Market with Prince of Draw/Duration Draw, etc
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:44:05 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2015, 09:31:07 pm »

Yes, Golem finding Black Market and a card-drawer or Throne Room-Herald finding Black Market and then a card-drawer were the edge cases I meant.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2015, 09:56:06 pm »

Since there are now Duration-Attacks, I'm curious how to resolve the problem I experienced with a Duration-Attack fan card I designed for the "Online-Only Cards" thread.
Levy
Type: Action / Duration / Attack
Cost: $5
+$3,
--------------------
While this is in play, all cards cost $1 more.

For in-person play, the problem with this card is that it's too easy to not notice Durations in the areas of other players. If your mistake costed you a missed opportunity, it would be fine. Instead, your mistake advantages you, which is unacceptable. By the time you realize the mistake, no one remembers how to undo the error.

A bigger problem is that your Duration will never stay in play when it isn't your turn.  Durations are cleaned up on the last turn they do something.  Levy gives you +$3 and then nothing else, so it will be cleaned up that turn and never affect your opponents.  You can fix that by following the example set by Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods, using "Until your next turn" instead of "While this is in play".

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2015, 10:00:05 pm »
+2

Wow, you guys have been april fooled big time.  That isn't the real Haunted Woods Art.  Nice fake, though, but I can tell it's a shop due to some pixels here and there.  This one's the real deal:

Holy crap; he's right. The real art is totally in keeping with the fact that Amazon just launched pre-orders for Dominion: Adventures, and it turns out actually to be a Munchkin expansion.

Seriously, check it out and read the description on their site:http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-501RGG-Adventures/dp/B00TF7YMVW

DXV, this was the mother of all April Fool's jokes. You really had us going there.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2015, 10:08:02 pm »
+2

There is a forum for fan cards dude. This isn't it.

Forgetting Haunted Woods is an issue. People don't so much forget Swamp Hag - well someone may forget, but someone will remember. People sometimes forget Haunted Woods. Announce Haunted Woods loudly; watch people to make sure it hits them.

For your own cards, I recommend not doing anything like this. I mean what if people forget?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2015, 10:46:42 pm »

It's interesting that Haunted Woods both helps engines (because starting with an 8 card hand is bonkers, and to fully exploit it you need +Buy), while hurting engines (if you're drawing your deck, you're drawing most of your victory cards every turn), while helping them again (if you have spare actions left in your hand you can choose to reorder them such that you draw the actions first.)

This card is hard to judge...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2015, 11:47:41 pm »
+9

Forgetting Haunted Woods is an issue. People don't so much forget Swamp Hag - well someone may forget, but someone will remember. People sometimes forget Haunted Woods. Announce Haunted Woods loudly; watch people to make sure it hits them.

For your own cards, I recommend not doing anything like this. I mean what if people forget?

I recommend downloading an app that makes ghost noises and playing it whenever anyone buys a card.

"And with $6 I'll buy a Gold"
"OooOooOooOooo....."

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2015, 12:04:25 am »

Somehow, this card managed to make Scout even worse.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2015, 12:07:30 am »
+2

Yeah I don't see Scout being a top card any more now that the Haunting Woods meta is upon us.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2015, 12:22:20 am »
+2

I recommend downloading an app that makes ghost noises and playing it whenever anyone buys a card.

"And with $6 I'll buy a Gold"
"OooOooOooOooo....."

"Jinkies!"
"Velma's lost her glasses!"
"Ruh roh!"
"Zoinks!"
"The ghost was Donald X all along!"

*scooby-dooby-doo*
*where are you*
*upstairs takin' a poo*
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2015, 12:26:32 am »
+7

I think wero's finally lost it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2015, 12:32:47 am »
+2

I think wero's finally lost it.

Now I'm on Wikipedia trying to figure out why in the hell a cartoon has a laugh track.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2015, 12:37:10 am »
+7

"The ghost was Donald X all along!"

And he's wearing his 'stache!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2015, 03:49:29 am »

There might be some kind of Reserve to help you (e.g. a Throne variant that sets aside an action and plays it on call), but currently, yes, it does. Well, unless you count Princed BM/ Guide.

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2015, 02:00:43 pm »

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but it looks as if this has a pretty nasty combination with Possession.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2015, 02:19:03 pm »
+1

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but it looks as if this has a pretty nasty combination with Possession.

"Oh, you didn't want a hand of all Copper?  TOO BAD"

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2015, 02:51:34 pm »
+3

Using it to put Copper on their deck probably isn't that smart. It means you didn't spend as much money as you could have to buy yourself a card. I don't think it makes Possession worse really. You leave them with a bad turn, so they buy nothing and Haunted Woods stops working.. that's what would have happened if you hadn't Possessed them anyway, just 1 turn sooner.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:53:21 pm by GendoIkari »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2015, 07:02:53 pm »

Using it to put Copper on their deck probably isn't that smart. It means you didn't spend as much money as you could have to buy yourself a card. I don't think it makes Possession worse really. You leave them with a bad turn, so they buy nothing and Haunted Woods stops working.. that's what would have happened if you hadn't Possessed them anyway, just 1 turn sooner.
I don't understand what you're saying here. They have a bad turn, then you just do the same thing again on your turn (Haunted Woods -> Possession -> put garbage cards on their deck). Thus your opponent has garbage turns every turn for the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:04:14 pm by blueblimp »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2015, 07:17:01 pm »

I don't understand what you're saying here. They have a bad turn, then you just do the same thing again on your turn (Haunted Woods -> Possession -> put garbage cards on their deck). Thus your opponent has garbage turns every turn for the rest of the game.

Unlike the Masquerade pin, you can actually keep buying stuff with a Haunted Woods/Possession pin.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.