Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Preview: Haunted Woods  (Read 64617 times)

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Preview: Haunted Woods
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:30:27 am »
+25

Haunted Woods: Action - Attack - Duration $5
Until your next turn, when any other player buys a card, he puts his hand on top of his deck in any order. At the start of your next turn:
+3 cards

Orange is such a beautiful color, isn’t it? We now have Duration technology to make your opponent miserable during their turn. Plus the card has a sweet name.

Haunted Woods reminds me of Rabble in many ways. There’s the +3 cards, but the attack parts feel similar as well. The attack can be weak for much of the game, and there’s often ways to avoid it. I’ll let all of you talk about the different ways. But if you green without preparing your deck for a constant Haunted Woods barrage you might be in for a bad time. It’s also possible for the attack portion to be friendly interaction, letting you put good cards back on top of your deck. A lot of nice player interaction to be had in this card.

As a duration you won’t be able to play Haunted Woods as often as other card drawers, but getting +3 cards at the start of your turn is, like, the best time to get them! Sometimes people underestimate this fact.

Moat must be revealed (or Lighthouse be in play) when Haunted Woods is played to block the attack effect.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:24:15 am by Mic Qsenoch »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Haunted Woods
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:43:24 am »

My favorite attack in the set! Or a close second at the very least.

Thanks for the preview!

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:50:22 am »
+1

april fools?

Heisenberg

• Baron
  • I am the one who knocks!
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:51:16 am »

Do they have to put back their starting hand?  Or is it the whole hand they drew and played?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 08:52:00 am »
+4

april fools?

This card is straight-up legit, and so is the fact that it was posted before Donald's previews, in case you were wondering about that. We bonus previewers can post our previews whenever during the day, except it didn't make sense to preview Transmogrify before Donald explained Reserve cards.

Do they have to put back their starting hand?  Or is it the whole hand they drew and played?

Not the cards in play, just the cards left in their hand.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:52:22 am »
+3

In my IRL games, it's the responsibility of the attacker to remind the other people to get attacked; this came up frequently, since we haven't seen an Attack card whose effects aren't resolved immediately before.

On the other hand, online, it's very easy to forget that your opponent has this out and get totally hosed by it. Ouch.

But this card is so cool, before greening it can potentially help your opponent, but +3 Cards at the start of your turn, man, that's what made Wharf amazing and here it is again, just more lopsided. Building decks that focus around duration effects is now asymmetrical and it gave me that brain-hurt that Dark Ages gave me in the best way imaginable.

They put back all the cards in their hand that they didn't play, so green cards and unplayed Actions/Treasures.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 08:54:53 am »
+8

If my opponent ever plays this followed by Possession I think I would resign.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 08:57:25 am »
+4

This can get painful with Grand Market. "So, I have enough money to buy two Grand Markets... do I play my 3 Coppers, or do I start the next turn with them? ... Good thing I still got that Guide in my Tavern."
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:59:14 am »

Moat must be revealed (or Lighthouse be in play) when Haunted Woods is played to block the attack effect.

Tracking issue in multiplayer games? I believe it's unprecedented in Dominion for the rules to require you to remember something that happened more than one turn ago.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 08:59:37 am »

this seems crazy strong!
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 09:00:56 am »
+1

Tracking issue in multiplayer games? I believe it's unprecedented in Dominion for the rules to require you to remember something that happened more than one turn ago.

Well, whatever you used to block the attack will be either in your hand or in play when your turn starts, so it's not so awful.

this seems crazy strong!

Depends on the board!

Heisenberg

• Baron
  • I am the one who knocks!
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 09:07:50 am »
+2

Thank you Guide!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 09:12:56 am »
+3

Well, whatever you used to block the attack will be either in your hand or in play when your turn starts, so it's not so awful.

Not if you choose to discard the Moat for whatever reason (Militia v Library, Minion with a bad hand, Vault etc)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 09:14:10 am »
+1

Worst April Fools card ever? I mean, couldn't you preview Jelly Donut or Bacon Cheeseburger like any reasonable person would?

And yes, this feels like a delayed Rabble. Starting a turn with 8 cards could potentially be strong enough to counter itself.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 09:15:21 am »
+3

So when my opponent is drawing his whole deck and it's near end game and I put this out there and he has to put his 9 or 10 green cards (he's a fan of the Duchie) back on top effectively ruining his next two turns?

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 09:16:35 am »
+4

Cool! If your opponent goes heavy on Haunted Woods you can go heavy on terminals.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 09:16:50 am »

Wow, this can really kill engines once they start greening or get a couple of curses. On the other hand, it might help them during buildup.
Secret chamber looks like a nice counter.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 09:22:11 am »
+16

What ! My turn is now finish after my Black Market !

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 09:22:44 am »

I think you meant "terminal draw"?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 09:23:19 am »

Not if you choose to discard the Moat for whatever reason (Militia v Library, Minion with a bad hand, Vault etc)

And being in your hand doesn't mean that you revealed it, or that it was even in your hand at the time the Haunted Woods was played.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:15 am »

But it's non-terminal draw, unlike Rabble.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 09:25:30 am »

And being in your hand doesn't mean that you revealed it, or that it was even in your hand at the time the Haunted Woods was played.

*sad trombone noise*

But seriously, 98% of the time you'll have that Moat or Lighthouse as a small reminder.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:34:00 am by LastFootnote »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 09:26:39 am »

Thanks, really Haunted Woods draw isn't terminal (but Rabble of course is) so I just changed that part.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 09:30:30 am »
+33

Wow, you guys have been april fooled big time.  That isn't the real Haunted Woods Art.  Nice fake, though, but I can tell it's a shop due to some pixels here and there.  This one's the real deal:

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 09:32:53 am »

Thanks, really Haunted Woods draw isn't terminal (but Rabble of course is) so I just changed that part.

But isn't it?  It still takes an Action to play... I mean, in an odd way that Action is "replaced" on your next turn, but... man, Durations are weird.  Not as weird as Transmogrify, though.

Anyway, great art, again!  Mr. Miller's cgi managed to not look garbage!  Though it looks more like a jungle.  A loyal jungle?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.