Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ruined Village as the only +Action  (Read 4789 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Ruined Village as the only +Action
« on: April 01, 2015, 12:11:41 am »
+15

With the relative success of my previous thread on Ruined Market as the only +Buy, I thought I'd share some thoughts I had about a similar, less discussed topic that deserves just as much time in the spotlight.

We've seen those boards before, those ugly, ugly boards with no Villages. Now I know you're thinking "Those boards aren't worth playing, Adam. Just resign and move on to another game; hopefully that will have a village in it." and your instincts are pretty good! But one day I was hovering over the resign button when I thought to myself "Self, I didn't get to the top 55 of the leaderboard by just giving up when things looked grim. Let's make something out of nothing here!" I clicked over to the next page and saw the most beautiful thing:

There on that board with all terminals I found my respite here. In the darkness I found the one place where I could play an Action card and know that my turn isn't over yet, I can still go on.

It goes without saying (even though I'm about to say it) that in Dominion, the person who plays more action cards usually wins the game, this gives rise to various axioms we universally adopt around here without question such as Always Play Your Necropolis (APYN), and the P1 T1 "checkmate" Necropolis (I can't count the number of games I've won just from my opponent resigning after I slam down that sweet, sweet Necro on turn 1 before they ever get a chance to get on the board). When Ruined Village is your only chance at Multiple Action Turns (MATs), you really have to commit in order to make it work.

What if Ruined Village isn't on top? Well then you might have to look for synergy in order to get your Double-Ruin turns, that way you spend less time digging through the Ruins and more time playing Action cards. Workshop seems pretty good for this.

Consider a kingdom where the only non-terminals are Golem, Ironworks, and Ruined Village. Just think about the explosive synergy here! Golem really wants to hit those non-terminals, and what better way to put them into your deck than with Ironworks -- by gaining a Ruined Village you make Ironworks non-terminal itself! Who needs terminals? Playing a Golem could hit an Ironworks and a Ruined Village, you play your Ironworks to gain some more Ruins and now you have an extra action so you can play your Ruined Library and refresh your hand! The power is unspeakable!

Happy April First, everyone!  ;D
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Ruined Village as the only +Action
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 12:19:24 am »
+5

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:28:39 am »
+4

I'm pretty sure it's possible to construct a kingdom where Prince + Ruined Village is a component of the dominant strategy.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 02:57:16 am »
+1

I'm pretty sure it's possible to construct a kingdom where Prince + Ruined Village is a component of the dominant strategy.

I think a kingdom with Chapel, Throne Room/KC, +Cards, no +Action or +Buy in kingdom, and a reasonable attack is good enough. You may not be aiming for the Ruined Village, but if it's a game where you want Ruined Market, you'll probably keep Ruined Village on the side as well.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 02:59:35 am »
+1

Chapel, Herbalist, Duchess, Death Cart, Quarry, Laboratory, Goons, Adventurer, Bank, Prince

? not sure

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 03:53:39 am »

What if Ruined Village isn't on top? Well then you might have to look for synergy in order to get your Double-Ruin turns, that way you spend less time digging through the Ruins and more time playing Action cards. Workshop seems pretty good for this.
Yeah, it's a pity that if Ruined Village isn't the top Ruins, there isn't another Ruins that might be available that would help you gain more cards ...

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:09:54 am »

This seems so incredibly slow and weak that the only thing I could think of being viable is some kind of pin. Like Outpost, then KC+Masquerade. But then you could probably pull that off without Prince+RV.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 11:48:24 am »
+3

Combo with Death Cart!  Use DC to get the Ruin, then play DC later to get Prince!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:49:54 pm »

Ruined Village also combos well with its partner, Survivors. With Survivors, you can determine whether 2/5 of your next hand will have Ruined Village and another action. If you don't see such a combination, you can discard the cards to increase your odds of getting to Ruined Village or another Action.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.