Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Preview: Transmogrify  (Read 94999 times)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Preview: Transmogrify
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2015, 02:08:05 pm »
+3

This card seems weak to me. Getting to do it whenever is nice flexibility, sure, but it's less than Remodel, and Remodel isn't great to start with. Sure, this isn't terminal, that helps a lot... I am sure there will be spots of this, like develop maybe (kind of; develop is more about getting you more cards and can also straight trash coppers), it can be a role player, but I think it will be pretty weak overall.

Getting the new card right into your hand seems like it would be a big deal though.  Did you miss that, or are you saying that it's still too situational?
Still too situational. Royal Seal not that much better than silver, and while this is a little better since you know what's in your hand - look, it's not like this will be AWFUL, but I still don't think it's actually strong.

What? Royal Seal topdecks; it doesn't gain in hand. It doesn't let you pick out what card you get to pick up the instant you need it.

Maybe. But you need a card in hand that you are willing to get rid of for that card which costs at most $1 less than it. And then you are spending the whole effect of this thing just to smooth you out, which seems pretty bad. Really bad, actually. I think you want to actually be turning cards you don't in general want to cards you in general do - the "I need it right now" seems like a nice little bonus, but really not enough to pull the weight of the card.

The Royal Seal comment is because one net benefit of "I get it right now" vs it going away is that you get to play the gained card this shuffle, which can often mean one more time. Royal Seal does the same thing, usually. The comparison isn't perfect, I grant you that.

At most $1 more than it, not less than it.

No, less. The card I am getting rid of can cost less than the card I am getting. My sentence is probably real confusing, but that's what it says.
Maybe it needs more commas?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2015, 02:54:16 pm »
+1

I almost typed that like ten times, then decided to restrain myself from AdamH's benefit. Alas.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2015, 04:50:53 pm »

Yep, probably worth $4.  Sure, Remodel gives you an extra $ in value if you want it, but it's terminal and you don't get to save it for later.  Should be a good one.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2015, 10:55:37 pm »
+1

I'm disappointed the art isn't an upside down cardboard box.

That was Donald's prototype art.
So if you rotate Transmogrify 90 degrees then it becomes Duplicate?

So, Time Machine should be confirmed then as well.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2015, 01:53:47 am »

Now that I've actually played this, wow... This would be worth $4 even if the gained card didn't go in your hand.  Without that, it's basically an Upgrade that, instead of acting right now, acts any turn except for right now.  (Ok, it would also be -1 card in that case overall, but the fact that it's non-terminal is the big deal)

Without the last line, this would be one of those rare $4 cards that actually feels good.  With the last line, this is, like, Jack of All Trades kind of good.

(I should probably leave open the possibility that it shines especially brightly in the suggested Dark Ages game with Rats and reserve judgment, but... nah, this is a power card.  Wait one turn for an Upgrade-into-hand?  And it *can't whiff*? Too good.)

(I should probably be mad, but I'm not.  I kind of like TfB cards.  I can't help it.  I sometimes lose games by buying too many Upgrades, but this card is actually a power card and not a n00b-trap finesse card.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:55:12 am by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2015, 08:59:14 am »

Well, all TfB cards love Rats.  But Transmogrify can't really do anything with Coppers - he's not a "trasher" in the sense that he clears out junk, he makes sure you have exactly what you need in your hand.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2015, 12:03:05 pm »

Well, all TfB cards love Rats.  But Transmogrify can't really do anything with Coppers - he's not a "trasher" in the sense that he clears out junk, he makes sure you have exactly what you need in your hand.

I guess I should play it in a game without Rats before I get carried away.  This card is probably THE Rats synergy card of all time, so there's that...

But still, it makes Upgrade look really bad.  Upgrade reduces this hand by 1, but doesn't let you decide when you draw the card, and doesn't let you turn $5+ cards into Duchies in the final turns.  Upgrade can win if Transmogrify would miss a shuffle, but that's about it...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2015, 12:20:24 pm »
+4

I guess I should play it in a game without Rats before I get carried away.  This card is probably THE Rats synergy card of all time, so there's that...

But still, it makes Upgrade look really bad.  Upgrade reduces this hand by 1, but doesn't let you decide when you draw the card, and doesn't let you turn $5+ cards into Duchies in the final turns.  Upgrade can win if Transmogrify would miss a shuffle, but that's about it...

Upgrade can trash Copper, Curses and Ruins without gaining another junk card.  Transmogrify can't.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2015, 03:54:43 pm »

Upgrade can trash Copper, Curses and Ruins without gaining another junk card.  Transmogrify can't.

That's true.  Junk Dealer is superior, but beggars don't get to choose.  I also forgot that in an engine, Upgrade can have a lot more to choose from where Transmogrify will miss out on a lot.

So Upgrade is a better trasher, but Transmogrify is stronger on the benefit side.  On a rare board with Transmog, Upgrade, and Junk Dealer, though, it would be really hard to justify Upgrade.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2015, 01:54:45 pm »
+5

But... it won't give me the Hero i need, nor the one i deserve :(

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2015, 03:42:06 pm »

But... it won't give me the Hero i need, nor the one i deserve :(

It can give you the Page the need.  You must provide your own patience.  Then you will get the Champion and/or Hero you deserve.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2015, 05:18:40 pm »
+5

You might need to hold out until the end of the night, though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2015, 07:15:13 pm »
+1

You might need to hold out until the end of the night, though.
Well the night is darkest just before the dawn.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.