Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Preview: Transmogrify  (Read 94922 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Transmogrify
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2015, 04:18:47 pm »
+2

Woo-hoo, i always hoped for a Fantasy themed expansion.

Alchemy is a fantasy-themed expansion.

Well, sure. I guess i mean "Epic Fantasy". Like in the one Dominion-knockoff-which-shall-not-be-named. It was one of the few things i appreaciated there. Alchemy is mostly medieval pseudo-science-geeks with beards, glasses and explosion holes in their clothing.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2015, 04:20:50 pm »
+1

Awesome card. Glad to see the interactions with watchtower are already being explored.
Most notably being able to gain a Watchtower into your hand whenever you have a card that costs $2 or more in your hand and Transmogrify in the tavern. You can *call* that creative synergy, if you like. :-)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2015, 04:27:00 pm »
+2

Okay, well, if I reveal a Watchtower to topdeck the gained card, THEN Transmogrify will lose track of it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2015, 04:27:12 pm »
+4

Well, sure. I guess i mean "Epic Fantasy". Like in the one Dominion-knockoff-which-shall-not-be-named.

Well, that narrows it down to two or three possibilities.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2015, 04:54:59 pm »

This card seems weak to me. Getting to do it whenever is nice flexibility, sure, but it's less than Remodel, and Remodel isn't great to start with. Sure, this isn't terminal, that helps a lot... I am sure there will be spots of this, like develop maybe (kind of; develop is more about getting you more cards and can also straight trash coppers), it can be a role player, but I think it will be pretty weak overall.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:49 pm »
+1

This card seems weak to me. Getting to do it whenever is nice flexibility, sure, but it's less than Remodel, and Remodel isn't great to start with. Sure, this isn't terminal, that helps a lot... I am sure there will be spots of this, like develop maybe (kind of; develop is more about getting you more cards and can also straight trash coppers), it can be a role player, but I think it will be pretty weak overall.
It's not just non-terminal; it also only decreases hand size by 1 rather than 2, like Upgrade. It's slower and can't trash Coppers, but it's also cheaper and can do all sorts of shenanigans by getting you what you want when you need it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2015, 05:01:09 pm »
+2

Getting the new card right into your hand seems like it would be a big deal though.  Did you miss that, or are you saying that it's still too situational?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2015, 05:06:29 pm »

Getting the new card right into your hand seems like it would be a big deal though.  Did you miss that, or are you saying that it's still too situational?
Still too situational. Royal Seal not that much better than silver, and while this is a little better since you know what's in your hand - look, it's not like this will be AWFUL, but I still don't think it's actually strong.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2015, 05:09:08 pm »

Well I suppose we'll see how it pans out once Adventures is available online. I can pretty much guarantee you it's not weak with Rats, Cultist, etc. And if you ignore it on a Fortress board and your opponent doesn't, you will lose. Its exact strength in the general case is still up in the air.

EDIT: Although I am curious how e.g. Stef and Mic feel about the card vis a vis its strength.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:17:39 pm by LastFootnote »

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2015, 05:13:52 pm »
+1

Still too situational. Royal Seal not that much better than silver, and while this is a little better since you know what's in your hand - look, it's not like this will be AWFUL, but I still don't think it's actually strong.

What? Royal Seal topdecks; it doesn't gain in hand. It doesn't let you pick out what card you get to pick up the instant you need it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2015, 05:20:42 pm »
+1

As somebody who never playtested this, i predict it's much better than you think. Remodel is not only terminal, it reduces your handsize by two when you actually use it and needs to collide. This DOES reduce your handsize, but only by one, and instead improves another card in your hand. I think we learned from Tactician that one great turn is better than two mediocre ones.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2015, 05:33:24 pm »
+1

As somebody who never playtested this, i predict it's much better than you think. Remodel is not only terminal, it reduces your handsize by two when you actually use it and needs to collide. This DOES reduce your handsize, but only by one, and instead improves another card in your hand. I think we learned from Tactician that one great turn is better than two mediocre ones.

It only reduces your handsize when you play it.  You  do the upgrading later, where it doesn't change your handsize. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2015, 05:33:53 pm »
+1

I mean, barring weird starting turn stuff, the playing and upgrading are going to be done with different hands.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2015, 05:34:21 pm »

This doesn't reduce your handsize at all. Well, sort of. It reduces it the turn that it gets played. But the turn that it gets called, which is the turn that this thing is bought for, it keeps your handsize at 5.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2015, 05:36:36 pm »
+5

EDIT: Although I am curious how e.g. Stef and Mic feel about the card vis a vis its strength.

When first playing with Transmogrify I just assumed it would be too slow. I don't really think that now. But I don't know how I'd describe it's strength. I guess something around middling to good. I mean really, there's a whole bunch of Dominion cards that look bad if you assign them in an ordered ranking, but aren't bad if you were to just rate all the cards on a scale of 20 or something.

It's not a powerhouse but it still has pretty good utility all around, it's never a complete dud. Even Estate into Silver in hand is okay sometimes. I think it's easy to underestimate how helpful the "change a card in hand" optionality is. Also the "wait until the card I want to improve is in hand" aspect (keeping shuffles in mind). It also allows a timely Province -> Province which is not a small thing if you get a points lead and need to end the game. Unlike other such cards, you don't need to line up the Province with the card in hand.

It has at least one really strong interaction (Fortress) and some other nice ones too. I have done Feodum things with it a few times.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2015, 05:37:00 pm »
+3

As somebody who did playtest this, you are correct.

Comparisons to Band of Misfits should be made, I think. Band of Misfits becomes whatever card you need at the moment, up to $4. This turns another card in your hand into whatever you need at the moment. And instead of up to $4, it's up to X+1, where X is the cost of the card you're using as your "BoM". And then this also trashes, which is sometimes good, sometimes bad, since you'll be trashing non-junk with it.

The only real drawback is the turn it gets played. Then it's a blocked Tournament.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2015, 05:38:57 pm »
+4

The only real drawback is the turn it gets played. Then it's a blocked Tournament.

AKA a Ruined Village?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2015, 05:39:29 pm »
+3

AKA a Ruined Village?

;D I suppose that would have been simpler.

You know, the vanilla portion of Goons is basically just a Festival without the +Actions.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2015, 05:41:06 pm »
+8

AKA a Ruined Village?

You know, the vanilla portion of Goons is basically just a Festival without the +Actions.

It's also a Ruined Village without the +Action and with the +1 Buy, +$2.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2015, 05:41:51 pm »
+14

AKA a Ruined Village?

It's also a Ruined Village without the +Action and with the +1 Buy, +$2.

Man, Ruined Village really is overpowered... it's practically a non-terminal Goons!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2015, 05:56:03 pm »
+2

As somebody who did playtest this, you are correct.

Comparisons to Band of Misfits should be made, I think. Band of Misfits becomes whatever card you need at the moment, up to $4. This turns another card in your hand into whatever you need at the moment. And instead of up to $4, it's up to X+1, where X is the cost of the card you're using as your "BoM". And then this also trashes, which is sometimes good, sometimes bad, since you'll be trashing non-junk with it.

Ok... I think BoM is quite a weak card. And the drawback of having to play it still seems like a real drawback to me.

When I say I think it's weak, I don't mean "It's weak - I think I'd usually rather not have it than have it", I mean "It's weak - I think there'll usually be something else on the board I'd want more". I'm sure it will see plenty of play.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2015, 06:21:49 pm »
+9

I'm disappointed the art isn't an upside down cardboard box.

That was Donald's prototype art.
So if you rotate Transmogrify 90 degrees then it becomes Duplicate?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2015, 06:26:16 pm »

I'm disappointed the art isn't an upside down cardboard box.

That was Donald's prototype art.
So if you rotate Transmogrify 90 degrees then it becomes Duplicate?

Now I see where he got his names for things.  Bill Watterson will not be happy, Donald X.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2015, 06:30:23 pm »
+1

Okay, well, if I reveal a Watchtower to topdeck the gained card, THEN Transmogrify will lose track of it.
What if the gained card is Nomad Camp?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2015, 06:34:51 pm »

What if the gained card is Nomad Camp?
See previous page, there are 13 posts that mention Nomad Camp.
My opponent has more loot than me
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.